Monday, September 25, 2006

A Fresh Start

Wow. It was weird today deleting all the posts I've written over the last nine months (don't worry--I saved them all on my computer first). I am looking forward to sitting down and reading over everything someday. Now, though, I'm back at the beginning with my first post. Hopefully keeping our last name out of things will help me feel more protected. Welcome to all of you who followed me over here and thanks for tuning in. I love blogging and I love reading the blogs of my friends.

Okay, now on to what I wanted to write about. Yesterday was Damon's first primary program and it was quite an event. Before the sacrament, the Sunbeams sat on the front row of pews, waiting until they could take their seats on the stand. Damon only walked down the aisle, arms folded across his chest, twice to where we were sitting; the first time to get his scriptures and the second time to ask "will they bring me the bread up there?" When his class finally made it up on the stand, he ended up mere inches from one of the microphones and he spent at least a third of the program pointing at it; heaven only knows what he was thinking about. All of the kids had a part, but somehow Damon ended up with two. Both were short, but they were similar and he kept getting mixed up here at home. He decided to play it safe and have his teacher help him, but I was just amazed at how far he has come in overcoming his shyness. The highlight for us, though, was the closing song, "I am a Child of God." The congregation was singing along with the primary, which must have given Damon the idea that no one would be able to hear him sing directly into the microphone on the chorus. He was wrong. There were people out in the hall asking whose "little voice" they could hear so distinctly. It left a smile on all our faces. I only wish we could've taken our camera in there to capture the Sunbeams trying hard to be reverent. Besides the microphone pointing, Damon also sang with his eyes closed on one song, and kept covering his face with his tie. All in all, it was a very entertaining hour and a half (yes, they went a little over).

No comments: