Friday, July 06, 2012

Father's Day and Lasik

A quick word about the middle of June. We celebrated Father's Day by making breakfast for Jeff (he preferred to eat with us at the table and not in bed) and giving him some ever exciting gifts. Shirts and ties (two shirts I took back because he is a picky, picky man, but I bought four shirts, so the two he kept made me feel very pleased with my decisions). We did manage to take a quick pic before church and I must note that Carter picked his own tie out, although he doesn't have any that really match his brown outfit.


FHE usually turns into dancing as Jeff plays his repertoire on the piano. McKay is usually an unwilling participant.



I also had LASIK on both my eyes. I had to find a pair of glasses to wear for the two weeks I needed to let my eyes return to their normal shape, and I haven't worn any type of glasses in at least four years. So, I found these babies at zennioptical.com for $12 (including shipping). Not half bad, and I enjoyed my "hipster" look for two weeks.


The morning of the surgery I was pretty nervous. Although you never hear of anyone having a bad experience any more, it's still nerve racking to think about what is going to be done to your eyes. They gave me a valium to help me relax, but I should have taken it four hours earlier, as I didn't really feel it kick in until later in the day when all was said and done.

The procedure itself was quick and not painful. It took about 5 minutes in the actual operating room and except for the panic I felt that I might lose my eyesight, wasn't bad at all. I had to wait around for 30 minutes so the dr could check the eyes and make sure there was nothing under the flap (like a mote or a beam) that would cause complications in the healing process. There was nothing. 

I went home and tried to sleep the day away, per the doctor's orders. My eyes felt itchy and irritated and really they felt the best when they were closed. Plus, the valium was really making me feel relaxed so it was easy to rest. I started on the major drop regiment (steroids, antibiotics and a couple other drops) and was constantly squeezing something into my eye.

By the next morning, I felt about 80% better. And I could see! Amazing. Probably my biggest complaint would be the burst blood vessels in my eyes from the suction ring (an unavoidable side effect). Pretty, huh? And the ones in the left eye are just now fading away, three weeks later!


I had to wear these fashionable goggles for the first couple of nights so I didn't wake up aggressively rubbing, and the kids thought that was awesome.


Like I said, it's now been three weeks and I couldn't be happier. My eyes are still a little dry, but I am really loving my new eyesight! 

4 comments:

Heather B said...

That's so awesome! I'm glad you hit LASIK first. I like having you do scary things first. :) now I know what to expect when it's my turn. Glad Jeff liked 2 out of 4 shirts, lol.

BBC said...

i have been wanting to try lasik for years. someday! i'm glad yours went well!

Heather said...

Glad you can still see! Your vacation sounds fun/memorable.

Lana said...

SO JEALOUS! I'm blind as a bat, it would be so amazing to wake up in the morning being able to see! :) How exciting!