One of the nicest things about our vacation was the uninterrupted sleep we got every single night. It's amazing to realize that there are nights of actual peace and quiet, and no one ill be waking you up.
So, of course, we had a rude awakening when we got home. Monday night, after we had gone to bed (maybe midnight or so), we heard McKay crying in his room. I went in to check on him (that's unusual that he would wake up after he's asleep), and found that he had thrown up all over his bed. Trying not to wake Carter, I got him up, changed him, and stripped his bedding off his bed. I took him upstairs, where I decided to let him sleep with me in the guest room (so that Jeff and Carter could get a good night's sleep in their rooms). After an hour or so, McKay and I were falling back asleep, when he suddenly sat up and threw up all over that bed. Sigh. Again, I got up, stripped the sheets and blankets off the bed, and changed McKay. Then I went down and started a load in the washer, and put clean sheets on the bed McKay and I were sharing. Eventually, we both fell back asleep.
An hour or two later, Carter came up crying. He had wet the bed. And so I went down, stripped his sheets off his bed, and got him changed. Typically, when Carter wets the bed, I put him in with McKay (at the foot of the bed). But because McKay's bed was out of commission too, I took him up and he got in bed with Jeff for the rest of the night.
Tuesday, McKay was feeling better, but didn't have much of an appetite. And by Tuesday night, Carter was starting to complain of a stomachache. About 10:00, Carter started crying. So I went in to check on him. And, you guessed it, he had thrown up all over his bed. The cycle began again. I got him cleaned up, stripped his bed, and took him upstairs. But instead of letting him sleep with me, I made him a bed on the floor. And promptly one hour later, he threw up again, all over the blanket he was laying on. At least I learned from McKay!
Wednesday morning, Carter was feeling better. And no one else complained about any stomach issues, so I hoped that was the end of it.
But Thursday afternoon, as we were leaving for Library Kids, Kyla started feeling sick. She managed to make it through the program, and nearly all the way home, before she threw up in the van. She turned her head and vomited in the side console, so it wasn't awful to clean up, but still...she started to feel better for a while, but by bedtime was feeling sick again. She went to bed with a bowl, although she never threw up again. Jeff was supposed to go meet his brothers to discuss their upcoming trip, but he was feeling sick, too. He never threw up (he said he almost did), but fell asleep at 8:00 pm for the night. McKay had had diarrhea for days, and it was getting worse. He spent the night on our floor, after waking up needing a diaper change, and as I was laying in bed, I heard the explosiveness he was experiencing. After changing him again, I took him into the other bedroom to try to get some sleep. Neither of us slept much at all. He was moaning all night long, wiggling and moving and not resting well at all. Which meant I was not resting well at all. It was a long night--worse than any we had when he was a baby!
Friday, Allie was feeling sick, too. Or at least she convinced herself she was. She never threw up, but stayed home from school. Friday night, I finally got it. It was a bad stomachache with extreme fatigue, and it just felt like nothing would digest. I wanted to throw up, because I was sure I would feel better, but I never did.
By Saturday, we were all getting back to ourselves. It took several days for me to feel 100% better. Damon complained a little of a stomachache, and went to bed early, but that was all for him.
While it wasn't a bad bug for any of us, it was spread throughout the whole week. What a welcome home! Just thinking of all the sleep I lost is enough to convince me that I need another vacation!
1 comment:
you deserve another vacation after a week like that. So sorry.
Post a Comment