March started off with Kyla's tumbling performance. She has really worked hard this last year and has gotten really good at tumbling. Really good. She was very excited to show off her skills. Carter was excited to see her, too, but was just a little sleepy.
Always the performer. She was thrilled that she got to wear makeup.
One day, Kyla got a stomach bug and threw up several times throughout the night. She stayed home from school, and spent the day in the armchair. I'm not sure how that was more comfortable than the couch, but it was. Bex was so concerned about her. She stayed by her side all day long.
After we got back from Hawaii, Bex exhibited a mean streak for the first time. She nearly attacked a mom and daughter who were walking by. Jeff had to run out and save them, as she was just about to bite them. I was shocked, because that had never happened before, and we wrote it off as just a fluke, and maybe she was acting out because we had been out of town. I put her on a leash and things seemed to go back to normal.
A couple of weeks went by, and everything was fine. Then one day I was teaching preschool with the little boys, and we were out in the front yard playing. I was holding her in my lap and a small dog appeared in our yard. She lost it, and wanted to go after that dog. I had to really hold her with all my strength to keep her from attacking. Later that same day, I heard her really going after the mailman, who was coming up the walkway with a package. I ran outside, and he was shielding himself from her with the box. It really scared me, and shook me up.
After some thought and prayer, we decided it was time to get rid of her. The breeder had said they would be happy to take her back (Jeff talked to them after the first incident), and I was finally on board. And so we said a tearful goodbye as Jeff took her back to her mama. It was really hard on the kids, but it has been so much harder on me. I had no idea how attached to her I had become, and I have cried many days over the decision. Still now, I have a big hole in my heart whenever I think about her. We definitely need to get another dog, one that won't become super territorial and scary with strangers.
I can't really even think about it anymore, it's still so painful.
I have been trying to find the balance with my workout program, trying to keep it up on my own without injuring my shoulder any more. I have been using our elliptical machine several times a week, because it doesn't hurt me. I have been doing my physical therapy exercises, too, and I really have had much less shoulder pain. It's kind of sad not being able to do all that I have wanted to, but I am thankful that I can still do what I can.
We had a long weekend with no school Monday, so we decided to take a quick trip to Moab. It was absolutely fantastic weather and so nice to be there when it was not very crowded. We got to explore Arches on our own.
Carter was not thrilled that the rest of us had to be in his photo
Our hotel had an awesome, heated pool and hot tub and we spent a lot of time there
The sand hill is always a hit
Back at the pool, with a bubble face
On our way home, we stopped in Price to see some awesome petroglyphs.
We had such a great time, and can't wait to go back soon!
2 comments:
Synchronized sleeping! Love!!! That had to be so hard to send Bex back. Sooo sorry.
Sorry, too, That Sara Hacken is retiring, and Damon won't get to have her in 8th or 9th grade.
Post a Comment