Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Allie B

Last Monday for FHE we took a scenic drive on the Nebo Loop to see the fall leaves. Jeff wanted to go take some pictures, and I coerced him to take some of the kids, so we could use them for Christmas cards this year. We did get some good pictures that we will probably be using, and I will post our favorites after we have chosen which ones we like. These are a couple that we aren't using, but I love them. I love this one of Damon with the fuzzy background. Jeff told me what he did to get that effect, but I can't remember what he said. I'm glad he is into learning about photography, and I hope our family will benefit from his knowledge for many years to come.


This next picture is quite possibly our new favorite one ever. Jeff was just getting ready to start shooting the kids and asked Damon and Allie to pose. Damon obliged happily, but Allie wasn't into it. It's so typical of these two, and we just crack up when we look at it. You probably know Allie well enough from reading my blog to understand why it's so classic.


I have been reminding myself (almost daily) why I love this little girl and telling myself I'm going to be so sad when she has grown up a little (although Jeff is wishing she would grow up a little faster). Here are some things I love about Allie, lest you think she is the devil's love child:
  1. She is such a conversationalist. I think she says the funniest things and I'm always cracking up just listening to her. She is also really good when it comes to expressing her feelings, even if she doesn't always use the right words. She told me, "reading books is too boring," in a voice that told me it was too hard. She was getting frustrated and said, "I'm so disappointed!" and, while not exactly what she was trying to say, I understood.
  2. She is petrified of getting cavities. Jeff may have explained in a little too much detail what happens when kids have to have cavities filled, and she will rush to the bathroom to scrub her teeth after eating something with sugar in it.
  3. She is the ultimate food taster. She wants to try everything, but rarely finishes anything (including desserts). She just can't pass up the opportunity to try something that looks good.
  4. She loves V8 and is constantly sneaking upstairs to grandma's pantry to pilch a few cans for snack time.
  5. She is great at entertaining herself while Kyla is napping, which is so nice for me.
  6. She loves music and is always impressing me with her knowledge of pop culture. I was listening to the new David Cook song on my Playlist, and she said, "Is this David Cook?" I was blown away. I tested her on a few more, and she is pretty good about identifying Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and any other well known song on the radio right now.
  7. She is also a great singer. She knows a lot of songs and sings with such feeling! She was belting out the two lines of "Connected" from Barbie and the Diamond Castle that she knows at the park last week and I just sat back and smiled.
  8. She is very self-confident. She thinks she is great at everything, even when her performance doesn't really back it up. I love that about her. She is so pleased with everything she does.
  9. She has a great imagination and "reads" herself great stories. For some reason, she loves chapter books with no pictures, and I find them in her bed sometimes. I don't quite understand it, but it's always fun to hear what she's going to say next.
  10. She loves being a girl. She loves makeup, phones, changing her clothes all day long, playing with babies and cooking in her kitchen. It's incredibly obvious that girls and boys are born with inherent differences and she is going to be an awesome mother someday.
Well, it wasn't really that hard to come up with 10 things I love about Allie, which just goes to show that even my biggest challenge comes with a lot of blessings. I'm glad for that reminder.

10 comments:

Megan said...

I should make a list like that for some of my kids. Love the fall pictures too. I wish I knew more about photograpy.

Malinovka said...

What a great list about Allie. I need to do that... Most days I'm just happy when then kids go to bed! (Only to wake up two hours later and scream at the top of their lungs for over an hour. Sigh. Motherhood!)

TPlayer said...

I'm not on your blog list. Are we connected through reader? Hey I'm back in Utah now. I'll call you soon to get together. (Things are kinda crazy with my brother's wedding this week)

TPlayer said...

one more thing...I've been thinking again...since a physical 10 yr reunion seemed rather impossible for all of us, I had an idea to reunite our freshman floor via the internet. As I've been blog stalking I'm realizing it won't be as hard as I thought. I'm going to gather as much contact info from the 1200 floor girls as I can and see what we can do about updating and "spotlighting" a girl every week or so, just to see where everyone has ended up. What are your thoughts?

april said...

I sure love that Allie! And the fact you titled this post "Allie B" warms my heart. Allie is lucky to have a Momma as patient as you!

I am Laura said...

That picture of Damon with the leaf is so cute. I think it should be on the Christmas card. Your husband takes great pictures.

Emily Lauren said...

Wow, I just did some much needed catch up reading on your blog. . . Where to start?
Your highschool reunion post led me to your love story progression, which brought me back to my old love flings, and was so fun to read. I loved the pictures too :) So glad you included those so we could get visuals.
I also read Healthy Sleep Habits, and I really liked it. I am probably Dr. Wiesbluth's worst nightmare, however. While I think the principles were really great, and it was really good to get norms for sleep times and sleep lengths, we can't master the early bed time. Beckam never goes to bed before 9:30. Bad, I know, but he sleeps SO late. This morning we woke him up at 11:00am! When he's sleeping in, it's hard to change the schedule.
Also loved the 10 things you love about Allie and the pictures from the Nebo Loop. I can't wait for the leaves to change here (which will last for 2 days, and won't be until december). I'm jealous.

Michelle said...

Megan said EXACTLY what I was going to say. You can tell we're sisters just from that! But I seriously need to do this for Isaac right now-his terrible twos are going to drive me batty.

Lisha said...

She sounds like one of a kind! Wish I could meet her!:)

Patti said...

I bet she sounds better than Barbie when she sings.

I love your fall pictures...I am going to have to search high and low for a colorful tree down here...or just take more beach pictures.