Monday, October 27, 2008

Instruction Manual for Kids

Sometimes I think that someone in the pre-existence must have given my children an instruction manual on how to get under my skin. I'm pretty sure it was authored by Luce E. Fur, and was cleverly disguised as a self-help book for dealing with earth life. It has taken me 6+ years to figure out its contents (and I will admit that it probably contains things I have yet to discover). I am sure it includes things like:
  • The Magnet Principle. As soon as your mother sits down, situate yourself as close to her as possible. You will find the most enjoyment if you are touching her; don't be afraid to sit on her lap, even if it is already occupied by a sibling. This rule only applies to your mother, you will find no such enjoyment crowding around your father when he is sitting down.
  • The Proximity Principle I. The moment you witness your mother going into the kitchen, even if it's just to put something in the trash, you will suddenly realize that you are hungry. You will follow her into the kitchen, asking if it's time to eat. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, or how recently you ate, you will be hungry when your mother is in the kitchen.
  • The Selective Hearing Principle. You should learn very early on to only hear those things you choose to; that way, when your mother gets angry with you because your room is still a mess, yet she claims to have asked you to clean it at least a dozen times, you will be able to honestly reply, "I didn't hear you." You will quickly learn which things you want to hear, and which things you want to tune out. You should be slow to hear any prompts to do work of any kind, but should be able to hear the announcement that it's time for dessert from any corner of the house.
  • The Proximity Principle II. Generally, you will be incredibly well-behaved while your mom is away. Your babysitters will believe, erroneously, that you and your siblings are wonderful children who never cry or do something worthy of earning a timeout. But the moment your mom walks in the door, it will trigger tears and tantrums out of nowhere. You should stand in front of her, holding your hands up to be held, and cry until she reaches down, rolling her eyes, to pick you up.
  • The Antonym Principle. Learn quickly that when you ask for something and are denied, your mother really meant "yes" when she said "no." Go ahead and help yourself to whatever it is you want, and act surprised when you get in trouble. Respond with, "today is opposite day," which may get you out of trouble.
  • The Fashion Principle. As soon as you are old enough, insist that you dress yourself. Only choose things that you know don't go together, and which you know embarrasses your mom beyond belief when you wear in public. Also, change your clothes several times throughout the day, but only after you have gotten each outfit dirty enough that it can't be worn again. Cry every time you see a brush coming your way, forcing your mother to give in to your fashion sense to keep her sanity.
  • The Illness Principle. When you are sick, even the least bit, lay on the floor, moaning like the end is near. Use your illness as an excuse not to go to school or church or as a reason not to have to go to bed. Refuse to eat or drink anything other than ice cream or juice and spend the day crying and whining to prove that you are, in fact, not yourself. You will find that you will receive extra sympathy (and probably will be offered ice cream and juice to avoid starvation) , and will probably even get to have your binky and "comfort object" with you all day long.
What am I forgetting? I'm sure I will continue to uncover principles found in this "out-of-print" instruction manual, and may be able to recreate it all some day. We have recently been dealing with The Illness Principle, as Damon and Kyla have been sick all last week with croup. Damon missed two days of school and Kyla is still wheezing like Darth Vador (minus the cool James Earl Jones voiceover). They have both been pretty miserable, and I have been letting KyKy have her binky and cow whenever she wants.

This got me thinking about my kids' comfort objects. Damon had an elephant named "Ernie" that played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" when you pulled his string. He loved that elephant, even after we had to removed the music box so Ernie could go into the washer. I was looking through old pictures, sure there would be a lot with Ernie in Damon's arms, and was surprised to only find two in which he makes an appearance. This one is from October 2003. He is with Greg A., one of Jeff's 259 buddies. I'm convinced that it was Greg and Tammy's love of Damon's cheeks that led to their daughter, Emma's, own jowls.

The second picture you can see Ernie (and Baby Ernie) behind Damon (also October 2003). After big Ernie got lost in the Las Vegas airport, Baby Ernie was a good substitute. When Baby Ernie was lost in another airport, and a search online found no good replacement, Damon quickly grew out of his need for a comfort object.

Allie, on the other hand, didn't develop a close bond with her comfort object until just over a year ago. She always loved her baby Bexley, but when she got her new bed and bedding, she really fell in love. Allie's comfort object is her pillow. I was surprised again to find that we only had one picture with the pillow, and it is, again, a background object. This is from June 2008 at Grandma Karen's house. It is the rainbow one on the couch, behind all the grandkids playing with grandma.


Just like Damon loved to rub Ernie's tail between his fingers, Allie loves to rub the corners of her pillow while she falls asleep. I took this picture a couple of days ago, after I realized that we had so little documentation of the beloved pillow. This wasn't posed, this is how she lays on the pillow.


Like I said before, Kyla loves her cow ("dow" as she calls it). She will suck on her finger as soon as she sees the cow, so she also still gets to have her binky at bed time and nap time. It's got the head of a cow, but the body is more like a fleece blanket. Too bad they didn't have one in pink.

She still sounds terrible (like an asthmatic having an attack), but doesn't act too miserable. Maybe it's because she gets "dow" and "btee-btee" so much during the day. Hopefully this week goes better. Otherwise she may have to BE Darth Vador for Halloween. At least that would explain the wheezing.

22 comments:

Lana said...

That was the funniest instruction manual I've ever read. And SO true. You've only touched on the tip of all of them, I'm sure, but you should keep writing it. Then you should make it a book and sell it for jillions. Mom's need to read that before they read What to Expect When You're Expecting. This one should be entitled:..."Now that you're pregnant, here's what you really need to know..." :)

Heather B said...

I'm loving those pictures of Damon as a little chubby toddler, so cute. Kyla's hair is getting LONG!

ROB AND HOLLY said...

So true! I especially agree with your "Magnet Principle". Crazy how kids are all alike - there's definitely got to be a manual out there somewhere that they ALL learned from!

Heather said...

That thing has been circulated around to all the kids. I well remember Damon's Hamburglar costume and his chubby cheeks at Tammy's wedding. What a big boy he is now.

Patti said...

The Poop Principle: Poop as soon as you get a new diaper on, even if you pooped in another diaper. five minutes before. And if you happen to be potty training, hold your poop throughout training time, until a diaper, pull-up, underwear, or anything else soft and warm touches your behind. Bonus points for poop in a swim diaper, because those things are worth their weight in gold (especially after you have pooped in them).

Too funny. I love your writing! And Kyla is getting so big! I can't believe it!

Cassie L. said...

This is a variation on the Magnet or Proximity Principles. My issue is the kids who are otherwise completely content playing with each other in the playroom or their rooms, or even outside and come running like flies to flypaper as soon as they know you are on the phone and all of the sudden are crying, tattling or otherwise rambling through all of the thoughts in their heads - never to notice the large device attatched to your ear. And don't even try to hide in the bathroom...that does not work!

Mariah said...

Kyla is getting so big, I can't believe it!! No fun with the illness principle:( Hope she gets better soon!

Denise said...

Cute post Krystal! And cute kids too! Maybe what you're missing is the noise principle. Somehow the kids know how to make the most shrill noise that just about makes your ears pop off. and maybe another one about whining. oh, and tantrums in public. it really could go on and on. Kids are professionals at torturing their paretns. I call it parent abuse.

Anonymous said...

So true!!! Keep going with the book because I want a copy when your version is printed again! Hilarious!!

Karen E said...

Krystal,
I totally agree, you have got to publish a book about this, it is all so true, and HILARIOUS. I laughed my head off (Carefully holding on to my little bit of hair), I think you are a perfect mother, as do I think that of your 2 sisters, I love watching all 3 of you be moms!! Love you, mom

Sarah said...

I love this post! My kids have their own version, but follow the basics very closely....especially that Selective Hearing Principle!

TPlayer said...

Thank you for making me laugh today!

brit said...

LOL! not only did you and i attend school together, but it apprears that our children attended "kid training" together. what a coincidence.
(and amen to the poop principle above. apparently they've even begun training babies to act similarily)

jakenapril said...

Oh, my cheeks are hurting from having permagrin while reading this post! I am so in your boat...aren't we all?!? Anyway...thanks for making me laugh today. I really needed that. Your kids are so darling! I have to keep reminding myself that even though they drive me crazy now, one day they won't and they'll be asking me what I did to keep my sanity while raising them...hmmmm... Enjoy it while it lasts...easy to say, hard to do.

Greg and Tammy said...

You better believe we LOVED those chubby cheeks and are SO GLAD that Emma has followed suit!! :) Cute pic of Greg with Damon!

Lisha said...

I loved your instruction manual for kids. Your writing is so witty. None of my kids have a "special" blanket or thing that they have been attached to. Is that weird?

Christina Mangelson said...

I laughed the entire way through. That is funny that your kids do "opposite day" too! Don't you just love them. Keep the the fantastic writing. It makes my day!

lisa h. said...

so whose kids were you writing about? i know it can't be yours!

you are SOOOO funny! i love it...especially the one about them sitting on you and touching you...why does that bother me too...it makes me feel kinda mean

Britain said...

The fashion principle is the one we are going to have a hard time with for Alyssa. Tonight when I was changing her diaper she wriggled away from me and threw the diaper on the floor then went to her drawer and pulled out one of those pink Dora swimming diapers and handed it to me. Oh my, we are in trouble with this one.

The Leggs said...

Is that Greg from 259 in that pic with Damon?

azandersens said...

I hate it when the comfort object get lost. Izzy lost her kitty cat on a trip, and I think I lamented over it more than she did. She loved to rub the tail between her fingers as well.

Brian Adair Fam said...

You explained the "instruction manual" perfectly. I laughed so hard the entire time I read it because it SO explained my kids, also. Especially having to sit on my lap or touch me constantly and changing clothes at least 5 times every day.

BTW, Brian called me when he was at the BYU game to let me know that he saw Jeff. We were both excited to know that it's still a small world and we can randomly bump into old friends!! :0)