So, here's the story. Wednesday we go in for the ultrasound, everything is going well, we're excited we're having a boy. Then, the u/s tech says, "This isn't a huge deal, but I'm almost positive your cord only has two vessels instead of three, so I'm going to schedule an appointment with the perinatologist at the hospital."
My heart sank. I instantly remembered that after we lost Chance, the doctor told me that the only unusual finding with my placenta and cord was that the cord only had two vessels. At the time, he said it was not the reason that my water broke so early, it was just a coincidence. I informed the u/s tech about this coincidence, and she agreed, it should have had nothing to do with my water breaking. "Still, it doesn't make you feel good, does it?" She proceeded to call and schedule the appointment for me while my mind jumped ahead a few miles, trying to imagine what this meant for us, for this new little boy inside me. After hanging up and informing me about the appointment, she said, "Try not to worry. Most babies that have a two vessel cord turn out fine."
I nodded my head, blinking back tears, knowing that telling me to try not to worry was like telling Allie to try not to fall asleep on our bi-weekly drives to Mapleton for Damon's soccer games (it just doesn't happen). She must have seen the look on my face, because she tried to reassure me, explaining that we were only slightly higher risk for health problems (kidney and heart specifically), and that the perinatologist would want to make sure baby boy was growing alright. Dutifully, I continued to nod my head, quite certain that this was the "something wrong" I had been sensing.
Still, for the rest of the day, I tried to talk myself out of being worried. After doing some research, and finding out that 80% of babies with a two vessel cord are perfectly normal, I felt a little better. I tried to remind myself--AGAIN--that this is something completely out of my control and that--AGAIN--I need to have more faith that the Lord knows what's best for me and my family and everything will turn out fine.
For the most part, I started to believe it. But every now and then, doubt would creep back in, and before long, I was stressing big time. Thursday morning it finally bubbled up, and I had a good cry alone in the bathroom. Man, I needed that; I needed that time to let all the negativity go, and the only way that was going to happen is if I really let myself feel bad for a few minutes. It didn't last long, and sweet little Kyla found me and snapped me back to reality. I felt like I could actually let go, instead of just talking about it. I was ready to give in to the will of the Lord, whatever that might be.
Friday, I was surprisingly calm when we went in for u/s #2. And this one went extremely well. I only had to remind myself to stop clenching my entire body and breathe twice. The doctor spent a lot of time looking at baby's heart, something the u/s tech hadn't been able to see very well on Wednesday. Everything looked good. He has two kidneys, his heart has four chambers, and he is still a he. He is also growing right on schedule. What a huge relief and weight lifted off my shoulders.
It doesn't mean we are in the clear yet. We will be monitored closely to make sure he continues to grow and I am acutally going to do the MSAFP test to tell us whether or not he potentially has Down Syndrome. But I feel okay about everything. Even if something turns out to be wrong, and we fall into the 20%, it will be okay. I know the Lord will take care of us, and I promised Him in one of my many, many prayers this week, that I will love this little boy just as I do my other three, no matter what. I was reading in Mosiah 4:9 yesterday (one of my favorites), and feeling like it was written just for me. I know the Lord has all power, and can fix any problems we have. But I also know he has all wisdom and I have to trust that His perspective is so much greater than my own.
So, for now, I am at peace. I am relieved that everything looks good so far, and am hopeful that it will continue this way. But if not...I'll accept it.
21 comments:
My prayers are with you. You have a great outlook! I know everything it going to turn out perfect.
crystal, you are amazing. thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. your family will be included in our prayers!
You can handle anything! You're wonder woman! You have the faith and prayer power to accomplish anything that might come your way. Thank goodness conference is coming up to help us remember what's really important and that life goes on whatever trial come our way...heaven knows you've had your fair share.
I am sure this little boy will be fine, this is just a test of faith for all of us! we are excited to come up and see you guys. My boys keep asking if its Thursday yet!
Wow. I'm so sorry that you will have this worry during the pregnancy. I'll pray for a happy outcome and that you can continue having a positive outlook.
Ahh, cleansing tears, they are so great. It's going to be a long few months for you, having to trust and hope and pray but you do seem to have the perfect attitude, just keep it up and enjoy your last little bit of time with only THREE KIDS!! :) Love ya!
krystal! i'm glad the second u/s went well! we'll keep your family in our prayers for sure! hope everything continues to go well!
I am glad your little man is doing well. I am sorry about the added worry about the two vessels. I will pray that everything will be fine with you and him. I am so sorry you have to go through this, I can't imagine the stress it would cause.
What a smartie you are with all of this stuff...you have done your research and been through more than I know I could ever handle. I am praying for your son, and have a good sincere warm feeling like everything will be just fine. You know I love you
Oh Crystal. Wow you have dealt with some terribly rough situations and I know you are as strong as you are because of them. I will join the others and keep you in our thoughts and prayers...
This little guy will be amazing I just know it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts & experiences. Your testimony shines through in what you write. I too will be praying for your sweet baby boy.
I will pray for you! Your children are sure lucky to have you for a mother.
I'm so glad that so far things are positive and we will join our prayers with yours that everything continues to go well. You have an amazingly strong testimony to share that has no doubt been strengthened by the trials that you have endured so far. Thanks for the faith boost.
Bless your heart! You guys are in my prayers! Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming.....
Sounds like kind of a lot to worry about, but I am so glad to hear that things look fine for now. Keep up the positive attitude and know that I am thinking/praying for a healthy baby boy to come on his due date. :)
I'm glad to hear everything seems to be ok. I'll keep you in my prayers. And I love that scripture too.
All I can say is I feel blessed to know such an amazing person. I love you!
Oh Krystal, my heart goes out to you. Such an emotional roller coaster. I'm glad everything looks good so far. Your kids are adorable.
So, I haven't been dabbling much in the blogging world lately and am SO out of the loop. I should be in bed right now, but wanted to check in and shee how you've been doing. I'm so glad I did. I'll be praying for you and baby boy. Love you!
My friend had this same situation with her baby and the cord. Everything turned out just fine and her little boy is great. She just had some extra monitoring done like you've mentioned. I love that no matter what, you know this little boy was meant for you! You're such a great mom!
Krystal, my thoughts and prayers are also with you. Reading your post made me feel the spirit so strongly. You are an amazing person and mother. Keep us updated.
Post a Comment