Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Kyla

Kyla turned five on May 24th. And all she really wanted was a party EXACTLY like Allie had. But since Kyla's friends already experienced that makeover extravaganza, I talked her into something different. I did, however, make her a pink Skittles cake. There was no compromise with that request.


Sadly, I only took two pictures of the party. It was a little hectic without Jeff here. Kyla LOVES Barbies. And I don't think she was the least bit disappointed that she pretty much only got Barbies. 



I had a Groupon for Color Me Mine, a place where you go and paint ceramics and then they fire them for you. She invited three friends and Allie and after presents, games, cake and ice cream, I took the five girls there. When we got there, I quickly realized how expensive the party could turn. The girls all wanted to paint something that cost $15-20! I had to step in and find some cute, SMALLER things ($3 each) to suffice.

Four of the girls were cooperative and happily picked two small things to paint. Allie, on the other hand, was having none of it. She wanted to paint something big. And I can't say that I blamed her. But she started off pouting and huffing around the store. I ignored her and helped the other girls get their paints and get started. The pouting soon turned into crying, and escalated into hysterics. She was NOT going to be satisfied with the dumb baby stuff. She wanted something bigger and better. We finally (after much crying and fighting) decided on one $6 item that was acceptable to her. But don't think the battle ended there. Oh no.

Everything was going wrong. The water was too dirty. The paints were all ugly. The paintbrushes were not the right kind. She complained and cried and sobbed about everything and anything, drawing many a curious glance from the painters at other tables. It was completely ridiculous. I wanted to take her out to the car and let her sit in there while the other girls painted. But obviously I couldn't do that. And after another 20 minutes or so of crying, she finally got her cupcake painted.

We left Color Me Mine and walked back to the van. Allie was the last one in and the only seat left was Kyla's booster, with the back. No one wanted to sit there. But especially not Allie. Because nothing was going to satisfy her that day. So she refused to get in her seat, and just stood next to me, wailing. I was driving out of the parking lot (slowly) and hit my brakes. I wanted her to get startled and realize that being in a seatbelt was pretty dang important. I did not want her to go flying into the dashboard headfirst. But that's what happened.

Her nose started bleeding and she started screaming, "You broke my nose! I can't believe you did that!" The whole way home, we got to listen to her scream, "Take me to the hospital!" and other such phrases. The girls had their fingers in their ears, and at one point one of them said, "I wish Allie hadn't come, do you?" I know I sure did.

We got home and I was relieved to find that her nose was not broken. She calmed down to when we determined that she was fine, and I could finally reason with her. But not before she ruined Kyla's birthday. At least for me. Kyla couldn't have cared less (at least she didn't act like she cared). All she wanted to do was play with her Barbies.

Here are a few pics of Kyla's last day of preschool. She sure had a great year and cried on the last day because she missed it already.



Miss Kirstie, Miss Chelsie and Miss Jenna


Claire, one of her friends

I sure do love Kyla. She sure is easy to love. And happy and fun and mischievous and playful. And doesn't like to eat dinner. And our family wouldn't be the same without her.

No comments: