For seven years when I was a kid, my mom taught Safety Town, which is a two week program for 5-6 year olds that focuses on all types of safety. Obviously. I went when I was five (before my mom started teaching) and learning to STOP DROP AND ROLL saved my life a few months later.
(For posterity, here is that story: My mom was hosting a dinner at our house and was using her oven to cook a main dish of some type. Let's pretend it was a turkey. I honestly have no idea. She was also using the oven at the neighbor's house to bake potatoes. The neighbor wasn't home. At the last minute, she got thinking that she probably needed a couple more potatoes and sent me up with two to "toss" in the oven. I went in, opened the oven, and recoiled, imagining that if I tossed the potatoes in, they would probably knock some of the other potatoes out. So I grabbed a towel that was hanging on the oven door and used it to slide the rack of potatoes out. I set the other two potatoes on, slid it back in, and closed the door.
Little did I know that the towel had touched the heating element on the bottom of the oven and was burning. I also didn't know that the fringe on my cutoffs had caught fire as well.When I looked down and saw my leg glowing, I dropped the towel in the middle of the kitchen, booked it over to the family room and performed the STOP DROP AND ROLL. The fire was quickly extinguished from my leg, but the towel was still burning. And I was alone in the neighbor's house.
I ran to the phone and called my mom, telling her,"The towel's on fire!" I'll never forget looking out the back window and watching my mom sprint up the street to me. She quickly got the fire put out, and we then had to deal with the aftermath (replacing the linoleum that had burned and the healing of my left thigh. I still have a scar).
For years after, my mom (the new Safety Town teacher) had me come talk to the kids on Fire Safety Day to tell them about my experience. So you can imagine I have a soft spot in my heart for Safety Town).
I tried to find Safety Town here in Orem so Allie could attend last year, but there is not one. So when it came time to sign Kyla up, I decided it would be a great opportunity for her to spend some time with Grandma Karen in St. George and attend with her cousins.
We left Kyla after the family reunion and came back a week later, when Damon and Allie got out of school. The program lasts two weeks. Here are some of the fun things we did!
The "Girls Car" plus McKay.
The "Boys Car" driven by Tara. No matter where we went, this is how the kids liked to travel. Boys together in one car, girls together in the other.
One night we went to a dinner hosted by my parents' electric company at the convention center. In addition to a yummy dinner and ice cream bar, they also had a couple of bounce houses for the kids as well as face painting.
Damon and the twins spent a lot of time working on their fort. Damon came up with a way to keep the place lit with some cans and flashlights. My mom thought it was genius.
Here's a funny pic of McKay eating a corn dog. It was too hot, so he kept licking it and showing me that he couldn't eat it.
Here are the Safety Town graduates. I know they had a lot of fun and learned a lot. We just wish Kyla was better about wearing her seatbelt (something she does not like to do).
It was a fun week, and the kids were all sad to come back home.
1 comment:
awesome! im gonna have to steal some of those pics off the blog!!!
Post a Comment