Tuesday, January 08, 2013

2012

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’ve never done before? run a 5K

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year? Did well on some, not so well on others. Typical. I'll definitely be making more for this year. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Noel and Julie. Tara. 

4. Did anyone close to you die? No. Thankfully. 

5. What countries did you visit? Nothing new. Boo. But a trip is planned for Feb!

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? Distance from the children. Literally. The basement addition is going to provide a place for the kids to play and three of the kids to sleep. YAY!

7. What moment from 2012 will remain etched in your memory and why? the moment the hawk swooped out of the sky in Vernal and took off with out pet quail. I'll never forget that. 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? the 5K Damon and I ran in July

9. What was your biggest failure? No failures. Only lessons learned. 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I didn't, but Jeff had a bad motorcycle crash. He injured his leg and couldn't walk for weeks! That was hard on us all.

11. What was the best thing you bought? My new eyes. Or my new boobs. 

12. Where did most of your money go? Our house. The basement especially. But it's going to be worth it!!

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Thanksgiving with just the Esplin family. Game nights, movies, food...it was awesome!

14. Happier or sadder? Happier

15. Thinner or fatter? Fatter. Time to get back at it!

16. Richer or poorer? Richer

17. What do you wish you’d done more of? Girls nights

18. What do you wish you’d done less of? Losing patience

19. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas Eve with the Trapnell's, Christmas morning as a family, Christmas break with the Esplin's. A great arrangement.

20. Did you fall in love in 2012? I was sure suckered in by Jef and Emily. I was way too invested in them and when they broke up after only a couple of months together, I realized I need to not get so emotionally invested in other people. Resolution!

21. What was your favorite new TV show?  Revenge (new to me), Revolution, Gold Rush (also new to me)

22. What was the best book you read? My goal was to read 50 books. I read 57! Woot! Goal reached! Some of my favorites: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, The Night Circus by Ellen Morgenstern, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Room by Emma Donoghue, Wonder by RJ Palacio, and Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

23. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2012? Grooveshark now works on my iPhone. Which means I can listen to just about any song for free!

24. What did you want and get? So much. I'm a lucky girl!

25. What did you want and not get? An elliptical

26. What was your favorite film this year? Pitch Perfect. Either I didn't see many  movies (likely), or there really wasn't anything too amazing. 

27. What did you do on your birthday? Breaking Dawn part II, dinner at PF Changs with the Trapnell's. Good times. 

28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Had the basement been finished months ago.

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Last Chance

30. What kept you sane? Group chats with my siblings. I love them. 

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?  Ann Romney. 

32. What political issue stirred you the most? The election was quite a heated affair. Don't want to get started.

33. Who did you miss? a best friend

34. Who was the best new person you met? Kate Hofer. Allie's counselor who helped her tremendously with her anxiety!

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. It's okay to admit that you need help. No matter what the situation may be (in our case it was Allie's escalating anxiety), if things start to feel like they are getting out of control, find someone who can help. 

36. What songs will always remind you of 2012? Call me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson, We are Never Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift, Home by Phillip Phillips, Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye, 50 Ways to Say Goodbye by Train, Titanium by David Guetta, Gangnam Style by Psy, One Thing by New Direction, Starships by Nicki Manaj, Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO

37. When you think about 2012 what sticks out in your mind? Life with five little kids is hard! Even though McKay isn't a baby anymore, there are moments every single day when I feel like there just isn't enough of me to go around. I can't do everything I want (or need) to do! People say that we'll miss these days, and I know there is about 25% of my days that I'll miss tremendously. But there is that other 75% (sleepless nights, changing poop, wiping bums, cleaning, cleaning, CLEANING!) that I won't miss. 

38. Best moment of 2012? This is such a small thing, but I think it sort of summarizes how I feel about the whole year. Jeff and I were talking about my brother, Jonny, who just moved to Provo to go to school and is dating all kinds of girls, and talking about how fun college is and how fun it was to be single. I was remembering all those good days, when I could care about myself above anyone else and kind of missing them. That night, though, we were lying in bed and Jeff reached over and put his hand on my side and fell asleep. Small thing, I know, but I was struck with how glad I am to be married. Single days were fun, but I wouldn't trade any of the carefree days I had for the days of responsibility I have now. Because now that we are so outnumbered, it's nice to have someone who is always on my side. My partner. My teammate.  

3 comments:

BBC said...

that last one was so sweet. i totally agree. there is so much joy to be reaped from one's family. it's hard work, but it's totally worth it.

Heather B said...

Love this, as always. I might have to do it if I can ever get around to it.

Karen E said...

I love your honesty! I will come for a week in Feb. so you can "travel" outside the country and have "distance" from the children for a bit, and I will do all the "CLEANING"!!!
Love the way you love your sibs!!