Thursday, January 31, 2008

Regular Songs

I've often heard women describe their daughters as "thirteen going on twenty" or something to that effect. I don't know if I've ever heard the phrase "two going on twelve," but that definitely would apply to Allie. She knows what she wants and is not easily persuaded otherwise. We have been battling lately over her choice of clothes and her lack of interest in having her hair done. I'm usually very easy to please, because I don't particularly care what she wears or if she doesn't want to comb her hair. But when she has already chosen an outfit to wear, and suddenly decides she'd rather wear something else, that's where I draw the line. Earlier this week she was wearing a button up shirt and decided she didn't like it, but because she needed help with the buttons, she couldn't take it off herself. When I wouldn't help her, she cried for at least 15 minutes, insisting that she didn't like it and she wanted something else.

She has cried about her hair not looking nice, her chapstick not tasting good, not being able to find the right shoes...and I have begun to believe she doesn't want to be a kid anymore. That thought was confirmed the other night when I was tucking her in for a nap and she said, "I don't want to listen to children's songs. I want regular songs." She prefers Alicia Keys to Janice Kapp Perry and Fergie to Raffi. We're in for it with this one, I tell you.

What else? I am on an anti-Wal-Mart kick right now. I dislike so many things about shopping there--it's always crowded, you wait forever to check out, many of the employees there don't speak much English and therefore aren't particularly helpful (is that just here in Florida? I'm betting not, because we all know that Wal-Mart doesn't pay enough to make it worthwhile to work there). Every time I go, I ask myself, "why am I here? I don't like coming."

For the past couple of weeks I have been grocery shopping at actual grocery stores and getting everything else I need from Target. I love Target. I don't know about how they treat their employees, but the atmosphere is wonderful. It's never crowded, there are cute things everywhere I look, and the clearance sales are amazing. But, I will admit, it is pricier than its competitor. Today I only went in for a few things and $84 later left wondering what in the world I had bought (I have decided to return a couple things, making my trip more of a $60 trip and much less shocking). But I think it's worth it for my mental health and sanity. Kyla and Allie were much better behaved at Target. I think the relaxing atmosphere has rubbed off on them. And so I may never visit Wal-Mart again. At least until I sit down and figure out how much cheaper it is for me to shop there. Then, sadly, I may return. But I'm going to try to shop the ads, use coupons, and only buy things that I really need. Maybe I can do it. Who's with me?

We are going to make cookies for Damon's bus driver today. He is doing better on the bus, and doesn't come home crying anymore. He sits in the front seat (#1 he tells me) and I can tell that the bus driver, Ms Deborah, has kind been watching out for him. I appreciate that. My mom is the queen of Saying Thanks With a Treat, if there is such a place. If anyone ever does anything nice for her, the first words out of her mouth are "What kind of pie do you like?" She has delivered more than her share of pies to people who have helped her out, and even managed to get my sister a couple hundred dollars more for her pig by throwing in a pie or two (my bros and sisters raise pigs every year to sell at the 4H Livestock Show. It's awesome).

Once when I was in high school, a family let me tag along with them to SLC for the State Choir Festival so I wouldn't have to miss a softball game. I baked some cupcakes and took them over to them to say thank you. My mom was mortified. She had something much more grandiose in mind, and my cupcakes just didn't compare. I didn't care then, but in hindsight, I probably should've let her make them one of her famous Banana Cream Raspberry pies. It probably would've been much better received.

When Heather had some problems with boys in elementary, my mom's solution was to make them cookies (do tell the story, Heather!!!). And we did. I'm pretty sure the teasing stopped after that.

So, I guess in honor of my mom, we will be making peanut butter cookies for Ms Deborah tonight. I don't think it will change anything for Damon on the bus (he will probably still come home singing "We Will Rock You" or some other song that he has learned from the rowdy boys, and complain about it being too loud), but it couldn't hurt.

Oh, and did anyone hear Paul Harvey announce that Thomas Monson was the next president of the Church? I thought it was kind of interesting--after talking about how long Pres. Monson has served in the church, he said "he is a man who loves parables." What an interesting thing to say about someone. But it's true. He does love parables. And poems (pronounced "poims"). And does anyone else think Mitt Romney has a general authority voice?

15 comments:

Patti said...

I stopped shopping at WalMart a couple of years ago...here in Fl we spend about $20/month more. It is worth the 20 dollars to me though. Target and Publix are wonderful!

Heather B said...

I forgot ALL about that story! Wow, what a memory you have.

Target is ALWAYS less crowded and more relaxed. So true.

Not only does Mitt Romney have a GA voice, he's got the face and the hair too.

Laura said...

What is up with Flordia! McCain??? Come on!! I was hoping Romney would have a big win, but it looks like his chances are slipping a bit. But, miracles can happen right? I am so with you on the Wal Mart thing. I go to Wal Mart for 1 thing: contact solution for Jared. That's it. Well, they also have cheap home pregnancy tests (no, that's not an announcement :) but other than that I think Target is better. I say if you make the effort to get yourself and the kiddos ready, get out the door and go shopping; it should be fun. And throw in the fact that Target has amazingly cute skirts right now and it's a done deal for me. (Merona brand has a black/white floral A line skirt that is SO cute) Anyways I guess this comment is a litte long. I love your blog.

Laura said...

Oops, I can't spell. Florida.

Heather said...

We all wonder why we ever return to Wal-Mart. Something in us that drives us to sacrifice for THE CHEAPEST price. So the boys called her names, she made them cookies and it stopped? How many times did she bring treats?

azandersens said...

I am with you on avoiding Wal-Mart. I hate the place. First off all, they treat their employees terribly, and it shows. Second of all they've destroyed a huge part of our culture - Main Street America. I have a theory that you don't really save that much there, but I won't get into that right now. Besides, I love the dollar bins at Target too much.

Mariah said...

I'm about ready to give up on Wal-mart too. I dread going there, but they have cheap prices. I think I'll try other places and see how much more I spend also.

Anonymous said...

I have the same grips with Wal-Mart...BUT....it has given me more food for my dollar when we don't have many dollars. And, I found it was my lack of self control that made any trip more expensive. I'm famous for that....which is why Target is VERY dangerous for me. I often think about going to regular grocery stores, etc. I just can't beat what I get for my money. So....instead of boycotting my puney purchases, like it's gonna register on their overall, I just make it my place to smile all over wal-mart and give patience...like a gift. I find I always get better service and I don't want to claw someone's eyes out by the time I'm done. Don't I sound like an angel?! Ha. I do make progess every n ow and then...that's why I share. ;)

jaesi said...

If target could get their prices as good as walmart then they would be SET! I love it so.

And Publix!!!! They dont have them here in VA but they do in SC and I miss them so.
ah...just keep your 24 dollars of stuff...you already spent it.

Denise said...

I love romney's voice. (It is very soothing and could put me to sleep even faster than some of the general authorities!) I love Target and gave up on Walmart long long ago for the same reasons you have + it is soo much cleaner than walmart. Good idea to say thank you with a treat.

Lindsay said...

I'm totally with you on the WalMart thing! I LOVE Target so much more. It's one of my favorite stores. There's not a thing I can't find at a Super Target!
And Mitt totally has a GA voice. It's such a pleasant change to the political world!

lisa h. said...

ooohh you have publix, yeah i would give up walmart.

that is such a good idea to bake some cookies for the bus driver. i'm sure damon will love giving them.

i think Mitt's got a politician voice, i don't know if he's got strong enough convictions to be a GA? i kind of wonder about him, i think he's still better than the rest, but i think it's hard to be a mormon in the spotlight, he needs to be so careful about everything he does/says. i'm too hard to please!

jakenapril said...

Here in Utah it's much easier to shop at Target. The prices are better (mostly) compared to Wal-Mart as well. I think it's about a 2 cent difference. I like the atmosphere a lot better at the big red store as well. Only recently did we even get a Wal-Mart within shopping distance. Thanks for blogging...

Cassie L. said...

Well I came here to voice my strong dislike for Walmart, but it seems that everyone has that taken care of. My SIL and my parents have just recently pledged to never step foot in there again. I should follow. I just hate it when I let my wallet control my conscious. Just frequented yesterday - but I had $180 worth of groceries, so I had to do it. I know that you are wondering why I bought so much at once...I'm an idiot.

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

Agree with walmart. We were there last night because it was the only store open past 7pm in montrose and waited for ever in line. I never can buy produce there because it never lasts more than one day. I do love their prices, but like patti, your friend said, it's worth the extra!

Mitt Romney is a total GA! He's got the looks too! He just brings peace to my heart when I hear him!!

Loved reading your blog!