Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pros/Cons

We still have no internet downstairs so I am sneaking a few moments of computer time upstairs in the "forbidden zone" (forbidden to my kids, not to me) while my in-laws are at the MTC. The kids are supposedly in bed, but I hear all THREE of them crying (Kyla was asleep...guess that is over). I will eventually get to all the stuff I have been thinking about, but here is a quick list of pros and cons of being here in Utah.

Pros:
  • My towel is dry in the morning. Wow, I forgot that actually happened!
  • My hair dries in minutes, and doesn't have that horrible frizz I have become accustomed to.
  • Prime time tv starts at 7:00 and I can go to bed at 10:00. Plus, all the games are on much earlier (which I'm sure not a lot of you care about).
  • The grass here is awesome! Two years of living with St. Augustine crap grass have made me appreciate the great lawns in Utah.
  • My kids have no shortage of playmates. Three cousins live next door and a ton of kids live in the neighborhood. Jeff called it "instafriends."
  • I haven't had to cook yet. Jeff's mom and sister are taking care of me like I'm still on vacation. I don't complain.
  • Our bedroom is huge--the enormous king size bed doesn't even factor in to the amount of space I have left over.

Cons:

  • Isn't is supposed to be spring? It's freezing here! I mistakenly packed mostly summer clothes and we had to scrounge around to find some warm things to wear. The basement here is also really cold and we've had to crank the heat, which has made my MIL too hot!
  • No internet, no satellite service, no high definition...we'll get around to it when Jeff comes back next week, but for now it's not a lot of fun.
  • We're still adjusting to the time change and the days seem extra long with those extra two hours. Plus, since I haven't been cooking, I've been a little bored. Oh, and I don't have a library card yet. I need to have something mailed to me in my name...
  • That big bed I talked about earlier is only filled by one person--me. I am glad I'll see Jeff again next week, but after that, it may be another month (or a little longer) before I see him again. That makes me sad.

  • BUT we're surviving. Life is good. It's good to be close to family. I miss my friends back in Jax, but hopefully I'll be able to come out next month (still working on that).

And now back to the crying kids...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Krystal,
Allie's first date post was cracking me up. Ha ha, poor girl. And little Kyla is getting so big, she's so cute!!
I may have missed an earlier post, but why are you not going to be able to see Jeff for a month? Does he just have a lot to do with school finishing up? That's crazy! I really don't know if I could handle it.
Now that you guys are so close, we'll have to come visit. Or you'll have to come down to AZ. It will be fun to have someone to hang out with while Kane and Jeff reminisce about the "good ole days" :)

Unknown said...

p.s. this is emily. I still don't have access to your blog so I have to log in as McKane every time. My email is emilylauren@gmail.com if you want to add me to the list of VIP's :)

brit said...

welcome!!!!!!

Patti said...

"St. Augustine crap grass"

I couldn't agree more :)

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I'm glad you made it and are settling in! That sounds wonderful having everybody else take care of you for a little bit! Dave's parents are going on another mission this Sept. to the Provo MTC so while they are out there we are definitely going to go to Utah for a visit (it has been over 4 years since I was last in Utah)! We are glad you guys will be there - it would be a lot of fun to see you all again! They have even been looking for some apt. in Springville (not too far from you). We'll let you know when we are coming!

Sarah said...

I'm glad you're on the west coast again! So much closer to me. I'm hopefully coming out in August for my cousin's wedding and will have to stop in and say hi...it'll be like old times in the MIL's house (plus a few kids and now you've upgraded to downstairs). What did you call your upstairs little place "love shack"? Good times there. This is weird, but I still remember the nice smell of her house. I know, weird!

Heather said...

oh, a month of single motherhood seems quite daunting. Good luck.

Jessica Law said...

Missing you terribly, but Julie and I have been able to get closer. That's cool. I can't wait to watch the games earlier. You guys had Ohio too and that's 7 years of staying up till after midnight for Monday Night Football and the playoffs. AHH! It's worth it though. How was David Archuleta day? Did you show up for me in my home town of Murray?

Hope to see you in a month.

Britain said...

I am sorry for no internet yet, but I am glad you could sneak away to give your pro/con update. I agree with Heather, good luck for the next little while.

Rachel said...

I've not visited here in a while. A lot has happened...you're in Utah now? For good? It's definitely spring in Southern Utah, you must be up north!

Steph said...

Oh, and don't forgot a soon to be reunited Children's Literature Book Club Utah chapter! I'm arriving in Utah on June 24th!

april said...

Dave is out of town for the AAO and today was a looong day. Maybe not having Jeff come home to you every night in UT makes the days longer too. Not having something to look forward to or (or stress about) around 6pm definately seems to lengthen my day. But I'm glad about the AAO for you these next few days. Let me know if your days seem shorter.

Anonymous said...

You sound confused......cold basements ROCK!!!!! ;) I'm with ya on the sleeping alone...I never quite feel rested when Jason isn't there. I'm so glad you guys are doing well...I miss hearing your days! And just you wait....till the memories of all you hated about Florida fade and you'll replace with some of the utah crap that drives us ALL nuts! :)

I am Laura said...

Sounds wonderful yet I can see the cons too.