Thursday, May 01, 2008

Birthday Girl


Allie turned three yesterday. Not exactly great timing (with the move and all), but with her, that's nothing new.

Three years ago, on April 29th, Jeff and I were sitting in gliders at Babies R Us in Columbus while my mom watched Damon back at our condo. My doctor had offered to induce me that night when he got to the hospital (about midnight), but I told him I thought I would like to just go on my own. As Jeff and I sat there, rocking back and forth with no distractions, we both agreed that we were happy we weren't having the baby that night. We were tired.

A few hours later, my contractions started. Within 15 minutes they were a minute apart. It was just like a scene from a movie as I woke Jeff up, telling him it was time to go. We grabbed Damon from his bed and all loaded into the Honda. When we got to the hospital at 1:45 am I had only been in labor for an hour. And it was time to push. With no epidural. nfortunately, it took a little while for our friend to come pick Damon up and he witnessed a few things I wish he hadn't seen (questions like "is that poop?" only affirm that fact). At 2:45 am Allie was born. And it only took that long because she was facing up and I just couldn't push her out. It was not the greatest day of my life, and definitely not the best timing on her part.
So, April 29 (and 30th) shouldn't have been much different. Allie appeared in our room three times between 4:00 and 4:30 crying. I think she was celebrating her birth in her own (annoying) way. But we love her anyway.

Because of the move, she didn't get a birthday party. She didn't get a homemade cake. Instead, she got a store bought cake to share with some friends at the park. I don't think she minded.


Yum, frosting...


Cole, Allie, Katie Law, Heidi Fletcher

Parker, Sierra Craver, Luke Law

Mason, who was still grinning from his own piece of cake.



Kyla was having a reaction to the sunscreen I had put on her face (second time that has happened) and wasn't having too much fun. But she did enjoy the cake.
Here are a couple of pics from the other day. One thing I'm not going to miss about Florida are the snakes that seem to be everywhere. The black snake that lives between the outside wall of our house and the garage has gotten more bold and has been sunning itself often, and much closer to our front door. And when a neighbor boy came over with this snake he had caught, Damon and Allie couldn't resist getting a closer look.





Damon thought it would be fun to play in the laundry basket later that night.


Kyla showed off her new funny face (remember Damon doing this one, Tara?)


And then all the kids got in for some quality time together. I love this one.

15 comments:

Heather B said...

Happy Birthday Allie! Sorry I didn't call in time...mom told me you weren't home, and I forgot to call later. It looks like fun. That's such a cute picture of her posing in her rainbow shirt. Kyla is really changing and looking so grown up! I will send you a link about gentle sunscreens, I've liked it a lot.

Jenn Whitesides said...

Hey Krystal! Happy b-day to Allie...I can't believe she's 3 already. I remember her delivery story and I thought it sounded painful then, but now I can really appreciate just how painful it must have been! Moving sounds really fun...that'll be us pretty soon and I can't wait.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Happy Bday Allie! I hope my labor isn't that quick - I want time for the epi! hehe :)

Anonymous said...

Allie's birth and Zoie's sounds VERY similiar. We'll have to compare sometime! ;) Good luck with your move! I love that picture of Allie...the first one. So much moxy!

jaesi said...

SOOOOO CUTE! Happy Birthday Allie!

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

love the pic of kylas face!! lol funny memories of damon doing that on our trip :)

Jacqui said...

Allie is so cute in that first picture. I love her stance! And I love the last one of all 3 in the laundry basket. You sure have cute kids! Happy Birthday Allie!

Lindsay said...

Happy birthday Allie! Those pictures are adorable! And what a vivid story of her birth! I bet you freaked out when your contractions were only a minute apart and you werent at the hospital yet, I know I would have! And no epidural! Poor thing! Good thing she's so cute!

Denise said...

Allie is so blonde! Calvin used to react to sunscreen like that as well ... neutrogena seems to be okay for him. It is expensive but totally worth it! Kyla looks a lot like Damon did as a baby. very cute.

Becky Seymour said...

So when are you making the big move? I can't wait for you to be closer, I hope that means I will get to see you more often. Well today is my due date and we got nothing but one crazy big mama. I wasn't ready for this. I am already a pretty impatient person, so this is the worst. I am so sick of taking walks 2-3 times a day, so sick of everyones advice to go on bumpy rides, have sex, drink caster oil, yadayada---- I feel like I have done enough and that she will come when she is ready, but i will die if it is anylonger than a week..anyways...love you...your family is darling

Britain said...

What a sweet birthday girl. I love that first picture on the post. She is darling. Sorry she gave you heck getting here, though. What a stinker.

Greg and Tammy said...

Love that picture of Allie! Happy Bday to her... I hope that "bad motherhood" does not mean homemade day cakes, because I don't ever plan to do one and I think Allie's was fantastic straight from the store. :) Love your "fine print" blog. Oh how true. How true.

Faith W said...

Happy Birthday Allie! You really must meet our Ethan someday ... match made in heaven.

Patti said...

She is adorable in that top pic. I realized I didn't get to tell you goodbye last week! I hope your move is going well. I will call you when I get to Provo in a couple of weeks!

Dehner Family said...

Love the picture of all three of them in the laundry basket! My kids like to get in and pretend it's a boat.
Congrats on Allie turning three. I love three year olds!