It got me thinking a lot about the time I spent playing ball for Pine View, and I wanted to write a little something for my coach, to let him know how much I appreciated those four years. For posterity, here is what I wrote:
All I Really Need to Know I Learned Playing Basketball for Coach Higgins
Some of my best memories come from the four years I spent playing basketball
for Coach Higgins. But little did I know that amidst all the running, shooting,
running, passing, and yes, the running, I was learning things that would affect
the rest of my life. Now, as I look back on the things that I learned, I can
honestly say that everything I really need to know I learned playing basketball
for Coach Higgins.
I learned about relationships by being part of a team:
--TEAM=Together Everyone Achieves More
--If you suffer a heart-breaking loss (and chances are, you will), it helps to
have someone to cry with
--When you need a break, someone will always be there to back you up
--Bonds forged by blood, sweat and tears can never be broken
I learned about toughness from coach:
--Pre-wrap and athletic tape can fix anything
--When you feel like you can't take another step, get "on the
line" once more
--Skin grows back
--Tough guys aren't afraid to show how much they care
I learned parenting from playing defense:
--Never turn your back on your man
--Stay out of foul trouble
--Deny the ball, and always get a hand in their face
--If you get beat, your teammates will pick up the slack
--Sometimes the only thing that will work is a full-court press
I learned about life from every single thing we did:
--Always be aggressive
--As long as there's lead in the air, just keep shooting
--You can rest when the game is over
--After a long, hard climb, there's nothing like the view from the top
--You'll never regret leaving everything out on the court
--The memories we make will last a lifetime
--And above all, learn from the geese and FLY TOGETHER!
Coach Higgins, it's only fitting that you are being honored tonight, and I
wish I could be there to celebrate your amazing career. You changed my life, and
the lives of all those who played for you. Thank you for teaching us, for
fighting for us, for crying with us, and for loving us. I am honored to have
been able to call you my coach.
10 comments:
awesome post....breathtaking
we missed you too!
love u
Wow...you are taking me right back to my fighting days. What a great career he had! I can see why you have such great character.
Well written! I wish I could have been there as well. I have so many great memories of Coach. I feel bad that my little sis only got to spend one year with him.
We missed you!!! I was so hoping that you'd be there. It was a really great night for a really amazing man. I'll be honest, I'm a little sad that he's not coaching anymore. It always gave me an excuse to a game. My computer is now fixed, so as soon as I get some pics from that night, I will post!!!
I couldn't have said it better! I totally agree about playing basketball for Coach Higgins it seriously was the best experience I have ever had. I know I wouldn't have been the same person I am today without that time in my life. We made stronger friendships then anyone could imagine and I love all you girls so much! Thank you for being apart of my life!
This was very well written. I only played basketball for one year, but thought he was great. He was a great physics teacher too.
This was very well written. I only played basketball for one year, but thought he was great. He was a great physics teacher too.
Loved it! Yes Coach Higgins was truly one amazing coach. If it is o.k. I am going to post this on my blog too and maybe add a few comments. Let me know if that is o.k.
Great post Krystal! Sounds like you were lucky to know Coach Higgins!
Post a Comment