#1 On Saturday we headed to Eden, UT (east of Ogden, right by Wolf Mountain ski resort) so Jeff could pick up his new (used) car (a 2001 Toyota 4Runner). Damon and Allie wanted to stop at the Air Force museum on the way home, but Kyla was ready for a nap and would not have had much fun there (there probably would have been slapping and cheek squeezing involved, had she been forced to attend). Jeff decided to take D &A to the museum and I brought Kyla home with me. It was a nice, pleasant drive and she slept the whole way. I got off in Orem because I needed to pick something up from my aunt's house. Knowing that I had a couple of hours before Jeff got home, and only having one, well-rested child to worry about, I decided to stop at a couple of stores (logical, right?)
We went to Old Navy first, just to see what kinds of deals they were having. I buckled Kyla into a cart and started browsing. A few minutes later, Kyla announced, "poo-poo" and made a face I am well familiar with. Most of you are probably aware that Kyla poops more than either of my other two kids ever did. She usually has at least two poopie diapers a day, but it is not uncommon for her to have three or four. It gets rather annoying, but at least I just have one in diapers, not three like my sister, TARA. Anyway, I wasn't too concerned about Kyla, and I knew I had a diaper in my purse, so I continued browsing for a while before making my way back to the dressing rooms. But when I pulled her out of the cart, I knew we had a problem. Her pants were a little wet, and I could see a huge green stain covering half of her shirt (she had a coat on, though, so it wasn't totally obvious). After trying on my items, I scurried to the bathroom and locked the door behind me.
I knew it was bad, but I was not yet aware of the extent of what I was dealing with. Lying her on the changing table, I removed her clothes, and instantly wanted to run away rather than deal with what was waiting. She was wearing a size 3 diaper, as I have been reluctant to move her up, even though she is right at the edge of the weight recommendation, and she had been wearing the same one all day, which meant it was also very wet. She had eaten Fruit Loops for breakfast, which explained the lovely green color, and it was leaking out of every crevice possible. I removed all her clothes and discovered that the green poop covered most of her body.
So, like any mom would do (and NO ONE else), I dipped her onesie in the toilet to rinse the residual poop away and plopped Kyla into the sink for the first bath she has ever taken at Old Navy. Not to worry, I was in a clothing store after all. I put a clean diaper on her, but had no clean clothes for her to wear. I put her slightly soiled pants and coat back on for the time being then bought her two shirts for $3 each. Thank goodness for Tiny Prices for Tiny People. I also bought her a pair of jeans and after a hasty change in the car, she was good to go.
It was not exactly the way I planned to spend my afternoon, but with kids, nothing ever seems to go as planned.
#2 Last night my niece was getting Kyla in her pajamas, and she was, of course, poopie. I was upstairs cleaning up dinner when the kids came screaming that there was poop all over. Jeff and I came down to find that one of the children (Damon, as it turns out) had accidentally stepped on the poopie diaper as it lay on the floor and run through the house, unaware that with every step he was spreading poop all over. There must have been a dozen spots leading from the family room to his bedroom. And so, because I'm the mom, I spent the next half hour scrubbing poop from the carpet.
I never thought I would be one to force potty-training on my kids, but after the last couple of days, I am seriously considering it with Kyla (no, that's not true. I'm not considering anything, but WISHING that I could). How many more "mom experiences" will I get to have with this child? At the present rate, it seems it will be far too many.
I know this is becoming a very long post, but I wanted to include a couple pictures of Kyla (no, not of the pooping incident, of which I have no proof). She falls and hits her head nearly every day, causing various bumps and bruises on her noggin. Sunday night she had a good one, and when I say good I mean horrible.
Either I need to be more consistent about buckling her in, or I need to teach her to say, "HEY YOU GUYS!"
16 comments:
Oh my friend...I needed this reassuring post today...
I woke this morning to Maya in her crib COVERED in poop. It was all over everything, fingers, face, hair, crib, blankets...heaven knows how long she was like that....I took my sweet time getting out of bed....
Poor Kyla. But she most certainly does not look like the Gooney Guy.
oh my goodness those were some awesome stories of motherhood... i'm not so sure i'm ready for that yet! :) you're amazing!
I hear you!! I hate the mom moments where you have to clean up the poop or the vomit. Yuck!! My youngest is in the potty training stages and she are still having her accidents. I'm about ready to just put her in diapers until she goes off to kindergarten. I don't think she really cares. Ugh!
Krystal, I was laughing so hard I was crying by the end of this post. I can just picture Kyla in the Old Navy sink and Damon running around the house. What classic stories! We should definitely get together sometime.
Oh.My.Goodness.
I think all moms need a break from diapers, and this definitely justifies that. I have been lucky enough not to have blow-out issues with my kids, but that doesn't stop them from finding other ways of making a shopping trip tedious (let's just say "fruit aisle" and "tim-ber!")
I also can't believe that goose egg! Ouch! As long as she doesn't start asking for "Baby Ruth" I think you'll be ok. :)
I just caught up on your recent posts. It's so fun Krystal. And this post about doing crazy things as a Mom is so true. I think every Mom has a few stories like this. Once when I was shopping and Isaac did a doozy like Kyla, he ended up wearing a sweatshirt as pants. I'm not as nice a Mom as you to buy new clothes I guess!
I hope Jeff loves his 4Runner! And I didn't even know Utah had an "Eden" city. Fun. Well, too much poop for my liking, you're right, at least we don't have three in diapers. And that is the best (worst) gooseegg I've ever seen. ever.
Oh mY! Wow. I'm in for a new world--haven't changed a poopie diaper in a long time. That Old Navy experience sounds all too familiar. Why does it always happen in dept. stores? At least new clothes are handy.
Ouch, what a bump!
That is one impressive goose egg. poor girl. I'm with you on being done with the pooping. Sorry about your old navy adventure. But at least you were on 'man to man defense' at the time and didn't have to worry about the other kids. Oh my. Good luck with the potty training, whenever it does happen.
You are such a great Mom!
I would suggest getting Kyla a helmet. I bumped my head one too many times as a child and have dealt with migraines my whole life because of it. (well to be honest, I don't know if that's the real reason, but it would still be fun to have her wear a helmet)
Oh my. This reminds me of a time I did the same thing with Jaxan. She pooped everywhere when I was in Laughlin. It was horrible. I bathed her in the sink in a casino. My mom was gagging. It was bad. I took pictures. She was smiling and laughing the whole time. It was horrible! I wish you could have made it down. We sure missed you. It was great to see your mom and sisters and to meet Kenya. She is so cute. Thanks so much for everything through the years. Thanks for your example. I will never forget the example you were to me all growing up and I am so glad now that I looked up to girls like you and Heather and not a different crowd. I think my life would have been a lot different.
Love you!
Oh Krystal--you make me laugh! Thanks for the pick-me-up in a house full of sick kids, a sick mom and a husband missing at a bachelor party! Thanks so much, too for your bday wishes--I was so glad to know your "updated status" and will be praying for you! Hope to see you next week--I'm not loving the graphic novels, but can't wait to see my girls!
Krystal,
I need your cell number.
Melissa
Now a comment on your post. I think your Kyla and my little Jaida must be kindred spirits. I can relate to you on all of those stories. Jaida is definately my pooper. She has the nastiest (is that a word?) diapers I have ever seen or smelled. Good thing I'm not a gagger. She also would rather stand than sit. She mostly prefers to do everything in life the most dangerous or naughty way possible. Motherhood is most definately NOT for whimps!
Well, if she ends up like Sloth, we'll send her lots of Baby Ruths. :) I'd say with all the poop incidents, you should put that girl on an ALL carb/dairy diet and STOP her right up. :) Those stories were sad/hysterical. Thanks for sharing!
Good to know that I am not the only person who has bathed their poopy child in a sink outside of my home. Let's just say that I don't think we are welcome at Maglebee's Fresh again.
Post a Comment