Saturday, June 13, 2009

The one you've been waiting for

No more excuses. Time to post pics and my feelings on week 1 in our forever home. I'm not going to lie, it has been a whirlwind. Emotionally, as well as physically. Actually, it has been more than a whirlwind emotionally. It has been a roller coaster amidst a whirlwind. It's been a rollerwind. Coinciding with the daily thunderstorms that have blown into Utah this week.

Blame it on the stress of moving, but I have felt much more anxious this week than I have in a while. I didn't sleep very well our first night here, but instead kept hearing all kinds of "new" noises that I was not accustom to. Also, because we cannot yet afford a rug (and other furniture), the house is very echoey (as if that's a word), and all noises are amplified (including crying, which has also gotten on my nerves quite quickly). So, all night that first night Jeff and I listened as the ice maker began to work, the floor began settling, and the wind chimes outside announced a slight breeze. Not the best way to start off.


Here we are hours after moving in, the beginning of day one for us. Every day has gotten better and better. Damon only asks where I am and where I'm going six or seven times a day, rather than every 15 minutes. The girls are getting along better and don't need me to be in plain sight to feel at home.

That being said, I love it here. Every morning I wake up and can't believe we actually live here. I know everyone has been dying for pictures (if you haven't, please humor me), so here are a few. These are my favorite things about the house.

THE VIEW. This was taken from my the window in my closet. I did zoom in a little, but isn't that gorgeous?
MY LAUNDRY ROOM. Only a mom could be excited about something like that, but since we have been married, I have never had a laundry room. We had a laundry closet in the bathroom in Ohio, a laundry garage in Florida, and another laundry bathroom at Jeff's parents' house. So, you can imagine that the sight of these two beauties doing their business gets my heart racing.

These are the Whirlpool Cabrios, and I LOVE them! I don't particularly care for front loaders (had them in Ohio) because I could never throw something in after it was started without making a huge mess. So, when we found these at the Sears Outlet for a smoking deal, I was so happy! Come over and do a load. You'll be sold, too.

Funny side note: the other night I left for an hour or so, and when I got home, Allie told me this story. "I was sad that you were gone, but then I went into the laundry room and saw your dryer balls and it made me happy." I guess there's another reason to enjoy the laundry room. It helps you not miss your mom so much.

THE DISHWASHER. Needs no further explanation.



THE SHUTTERS. This is another long story that I will save for another day. I love them, though!


THE MASTER BATHROOM (AKA THE GIANT TUB). The bathroom is incredible. Seriously, it blows me away every day. And I'm thinking about hosting hot tub parties during the winter up there. Any takers?

THE PIANO ROOM. This piano was Jeff's great aunt's (who never had any kids of her own and lived in the basement before us, where she was baptized at the age of 90). We inherited it while we lived at the Trapnell's, and I love having it here in the house. True, the room it is in is rather empty besides the piano, but it sounds so good. It makes me want to practice more so I can wow you with music as you come to my door.


THE ENTRY. This is the view when you come in the front door. I love it. Especially if these three are sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

Most of all, what I love about this place is what is inside it. No, not the floors or the appliances or even the sweetest tub of all. I love the people that are here with me. That has been the other part of my "rollerwind." My heart is so full of love and gratitude for the very fact that we are here together. I know that without doubt, they are the most important, and everything else is meaningless without them here. I told Jeff once that I would live in a cardboard hut with him, if it meant that we could be together. And, while I still mean it, I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have the best of both worlds--a wonderful home and a wonderful family to share it with.


And while I know the storm is far from over (I expect it to continue off and on throughout the rest of my life), today I am grateful for those moments that take your breath away. The rainbows that appear amidst the storms.

(Photo taken by Jeff Thursday night from our deck)

32 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Krystal, congratulations. I am so happy for you guys - hope you settle in quickly. Wish I could have a giant tub like that for parties in the winter! Can I come if I bring my swimsuit?

Laurie said...

Congrats, Krystal. It is beautiful and you all look so happy there together on the front step. I am so happy for you that things are going well and that you have your rainbow.

BBC said...

a truly beautiful home! i am so happy for you guys!

The Papa's said...

Beautiful home!!! Beautiful family!!! Seriously, your home is gorgeous. Hope you enjoy it!

Mariah said...

Wow! What a beautiful home!! I'm so happy for you guys!

Christina Mangelson said...

You are so right about living in a cardboard box. You a so very blessed to live in an amazing home with gorgeous views with the family you love and adore. Congratulations and I can't wait to see you and the family and your beautiful home.

Angie said...

Congrats on your new home! It is truly beautiful, but you're absolutely right - the people inside are what make the home. I love the view and that bathtub is awesome!

Megan said...

I was dying to see the pictures inside and I still want to see more. Like one of the whole kitchen. But I am sooooo happy for you and your family. It looks like a perfect place to live with your family forever!

Boo and Sara said...

Your home is beautiful!!!! Congratulations! I am sure you are settling in nicely. Hopefully you are finding time to enjoy a good book while soaking in that big tub.

Sarah said...

gorgeous! I can't wait to be a visitor someday.

jaesi said...

beautiful....now lets see the kitchen!

Russ, Julie, and Kids said...

Oh! It's beautiful Krystal! I can't wait to see it (and all of you) in person soon. Glad you guys found such a wonderful dream home!!! We miss you!

Jenner said...

i am so happy for you. that tub is freaking sweet!

I am Laura said...

It looks like a beautiful home. I am so excited for you. I love that rainbow picture too. It must be a sign of great things to come for you in your new home.

Heather B said...

I am in Love (L-U-V) with your house. But I still want more pics too. I might not be up there soon enough. Im glad the kids are adjusting. I'll come to the hot tub party.

Lisha said...

I am sorry it's been such a "rollerwind" getting into your house, but I liked your post....well said. Your home is absolutely beautiful and even more attractive with your neat little family. Enjoy it! :)

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

you are cute & genuine - love that & love the new place.

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

what a beautiful place! We are happy for you!

The Calico Crew said...

Too many freakin' comments! I shouldn't have to scroll down so much to make MY comment! I think out of everything (picture wise that is) my favorite thing with your house is the entry (WOW!!) and the view--well the kids are cute too but you know where I'm coming from right?

The Leggs said...

Your story is truly one of those - good things come to those who wait - stories. No one deserves it more. It's beautiful and hopefully soon you will have more little feet to fill it's halls. PS I love the view of the Y :) Nothing better.

Reba said...

wahoo! Congratulations on your gorgeous house!

Becky Seymour said...

Fun house. I can't wait to come see it! Congrats on the big move and starting another chapter to your life. I hope you can relax a little and enjoy. You kids and hubby are blessed to have you!
lots of love

Denise said...

I am so happy for you! You deserve the best. Thank you for all the pictures and the great post about your new home.

Jenn Whitesides said...

hey guys, this is Joe instead of Jen. I think this is the first time I have looked at other blogs and of course yours is the first one I went to. Congrats on the house. It looks huge and really nice. Jeff better start straightening a lot of teeth. Also, I am glad to see that you went on a nice 7 day cruise. We were disappointed that you didn't invite us since we are the official cruisers. We still need to go on one together. Jen also won the rock speed climbing competition because she was the only girl that signed up. On our next cruise together you guys could both sign up and race. Well, tell Jeff Hello for me. Have him email me at josephwhitesides@gmail.com. I don't have his contact info. We miss you guys.

Brad and Genis Barben said...

Yeah! Oh, it is gorgeous! I am so happy for you. You deserve it. The pics of your kids are darling.

Jessica Law said...

The picture I am most impressed with is that awesome rainbow! Somehow rainbow always brighten my spirits.

What a great place and you guys deserve a beautiful place to grow your wonderful family. I am quite jealous of the tub I can't lie. That's looks rather intriguing after a long day of Mommy duties.

Scott and I have said over and over that we'd rather have an empty house, than one full of furniture. But that's another long story.

Congrats and best wishes in your new pad.

Jamie W said...

I am so happy for you! Yes, I was dying to see pictures...and still need to see more. That view from your closet is amazing. The house is gorgeous. You most definitely deserve it!

Jacqui said...

The house is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!!! I wonder if our kids would get a long ... We should get together some time. I think this move put you closer to us.

Ann Mitchell said...

GORGEOUS!!! WELCOME TO THE SCHOOL DISTRICT, TOO! YOU'LL FIND DIVERSITY AT CHERRY HILL! THERE'S NO DIVERSITY AT MY SCHOOL IN ALPINE (THE NORTHERN MOST SCHOOL IN THE DISTRICT) IT'S ALL RICH, WHITE, ENGLISH SPEAKING KIDS! THE KIDS THAT ARE OF A DIFFERENT RACE, WERE ADOPTED BY THE RICH, WHITE, ENGLISH SPEAKING ADULTS!

Greg and Tammy said...

GORGEOUS!! GORGEOUS!! GORGEOUS!! Now I know where I'm staying when we visit Utah! :) Good luck with the continued transition!

Ann Mitchell said...

What a view of Y Mountain. On game days, zoom in some more, and you'll see Auntie Ann!

Malinovka said...

Krystal, it is SOOooo beautiful! I'm glad you're settling in and that you are so happy!! I sure love that piano... I'd love to come have a tour of your house when we're in Orem the first week of August! I'll have to email you to see when you'll be around!