It's always interesting, after a move, to witness how the children handle their new environments. And when I say interesting, I mean excruciating. This move is no exception, and we are all trying to adjust.
DAMON-Got his "summer buzz," and is trying to enjoy his summer.

He has always been resistant to change, and will usually stay close by me, no matter where I am. There is a little boy on our street in Damon's primary class, and Damon will go over and see if he wants to play (that is a BIG step for him). Usually, Damon ends up watching him play XBox for an hour or so and then coming home (Kobe is autistic and the boys are still "getting used to each other"). He gets a little bored, especially when I tell him he has watched enough tv, but we always try to get out and do something outside. He really wanted me to take this picture of him on top of the playground.

KYLA-Gets no pictures of her by herself. I guess we haven't taken any of her lately. She didn't get a summer haircut, maybe that's why. She is doing well. She is so friendly and unafraid of people, that she has had no problems with a new ward, new neighbors and new parks (where moms don't yet know what kind of parent I am). This is from Allie's second day of preschool (we forgot to take on yesterday).

ALLIE-Yep, you guessed it. She is having the hardest time adjusting to the new place. She started preschool at BYU for the summer, so we got her haircut on Friday. I have been threatening her with a haircut for months, but I told her that we needed to do it before summer. She agreed (amazingly). She and I both went in and cut our hair off (I am going to send mine in to Beautiful Lengths, a company sponsored by Pantene that makes wigs for cancer patients. Sorry, no pics yet of me. Maybe later.). I think she looks so cute.


Plus, it is much less tangly, which makes us all happy. But she has suddenly developed a crippling fear that someone is going to come into our house. It started about a week ago, when she woke up at 4 am, certain she had seen a face in her closet. For two days, she was terrified of any closets and bathrooms, and made me go in with her when she needed to go potty. And while we have mostly been able to convince her that no one is here, and that she is just seeing shadows, at night she completely freaks out. Jeff and I are really struggling with her, and not knowing what to do. We let her sleep on our floor one night, but don't want her to get into the habit of doing that. We have started our nightly routine earlier, so that we can do stories, talking, telling of things that make us happy, etc. for a good half hour before she gets in bed. We let her have the light on and music playing. We have given her a flashlight so she can check out any shadows. But no matter what we do, she always wants more. She wants me to lay by her until she falls asleep. She wants her door open (which can't happen, because Kyla won't stay in bed). She wants me to tell MORE stories and read MORE books. And when we refuse, she completely melts down, screaming at the top of her lungs that she is scared. Last night she screamed (ear-piercingly) for 20 minutes before finally tiring herself out.
And I just don't know what to do with her. I am trying so hard to be understanding and to help her feel that she is safe and can let go of all the scared feelings before bed. But I feel that she is constantly taking advantage of us and pushing us for more and more. Most nights, she doesn't fall asleep before 9:30 (which means Kyla doesn't fall asleep), even if we start getting in bed at 8:00. She needs sleep (and we need the quiet!), and we don't know what else we can do. I wish we could borrow Supernanny for a night, and see what she would say about it. I don't want to be mean and insensitive, but seriously. The girl just pushes and pushes and pushes until I finally break. And then she ends up alone, in her room, with the door locked. Any suggestions? Did any of your kids have problems with night time fears?
Okay, enough of that. You asked to see my kitchen. I didn't post any pictures of it before because it's hard to get a good angle. It is a very interesting kitchen to say the least. I wasn't crazy about it when we first walked through the house. I thought it was too small and too boxed in, with no place for barstools. It has these interesting windows that I have never seen before (taken from the family room, dining area off to the right).

But since we have been here, I have been pleasantly surprised at how functional everything is. It is much bigger than I thought originally, and there is TONS of storage. I actually really like it. I may eventually have counter tops put over the wood ledges, so that I can have barstools, but for now, I am just enjoying this unique design I would have never picked for myself.
16 comments:
oooh Im drooling over the kitchen. Its beautiful.
Poor Allie. Poor you. My kids are doing the waking up in the night and freaking each other out by screaming thing and its so tiring-annoying-frustrating. I dont know....just give it time I guess. New places are scary no matter what year they were built :)
Adorable chitlens.
What is that thing over the stove? Is that a faucet? If so, that's BRILLIANT! Allie's hair is cute. I of course, have no advice for you at all, but my heart goes out to you and I know you'll have it all figured out. Eventually. And then you can tell me what to do. Maybe search some supernanny forums or parenting forums for other ideas.
Wo...Damon has gotten SO tall.
I like Allie's hair cut... and am sorry that I don't have any genius ideas to solve her fears. I hope it gets better - for all of you.
So I looked it up and supernanny actually has a site you can look for advice or even petition advice! I'd give it a whirl.... it's www.supernanny.com/advice It couldn't hurt right?! I would also ask for some imagination from Heavenly Father. He after all knows her best and knows what will or won't work with her...he also knows when she's faking it! ;) I know my brother in law used to get really scared at night so their dad made up this special friend...sorta like a fairy....and he would sit on his shoulder at night and fight off any monsters, shadows, etc. Try it...the worst that would happen is it won't work?! Good luck! Let us know how it all goes!!!!
Have Jeff give Allie a priesthood blessing.
First, I love the kitchen. It is so pretty. Lets see some more pics of the rest of the place.
As for Ali. That stinks. When my kids are having a hard time with something or they are scared(Sienna was scared of going to bed for months after watching Jumangi with her cousins)I ask them if they want to say a prayer and usually they say yes and then I pray for them aloud that they will be able to sleep and not be afraid. It usually works. Good luck!
I love the kitchen. It reminds me of Allison Esplin's kitchen but her arches like that are entering the dining area.
And not to get all spiritual but I'm with the prayer thing. Or even better -possibly- have your husband give her a father's blessing and also a blessing on the house that it will be a safe place for you to live.
My kids have there moments of being scared or at least saying they are to stay up later or sleep with us but doesn't sound as bad as Alli.
Good luck and thanks for posting the kitchen pictures.
When I look at the pics of ur house the words "someday" pops into my head! haha :) I love the "pot fillers" as they call them by the stove. My sister had one and I will for sure be putting one in next time I build!
P.S. I love Allie's new haircut! She looks so big!
Cute haircuts! Can't wait to see yours! :) Not sure about the night thing...amazingly I haven't had to cross that bridge yet. I'd definitely check online for some help; I had to do that with Gabe's tantrums when he was 3 and I found some good stuff.
That nighttime pushing sounds so familiar. Wish i knew what to tell you. Just know we have screaming and door locking and younger-sibling-keeping-awake at our house too. I wish us both luck.
Do you have an alarm system in your house? That cured Jaxon of his intruder fears. It was easy to convince him that no one was in our house because the alarm was set. If someone had come in, the alarm would have gone off. It has really helped!
i read in one of the sleep books that when there is a bad sleeper and a good sleeper sharing a room, if at all possible move the good sleeper to another place even if it is temporarily so that they don't have to suffer as you teach the bad sleeper to sleep!
Clare sleeps with the lights on all the time and that is just part of life now. So, Alexey will probably sleep in my closet forever but to me it is worth the sleep.
Clare asks me to lay by her every night. Sometimes I do and then I fall asleep with her. othertimes I tell her (lies) and say that I need to go get something and then I'll come back. She will usually forget about me while waiting for me to come back. :)
I found that with Clare the more tired she is the harder bedtime goes. Maybe you can move bedtime start earlier. I'm sure that's hard in the summer - esp. in utah -when it's not even dark 'til after 9.
I'm sorry Allie's having a hard adjustment. I hope things improve soon. I feel bad that she is scared. none of my kids have been scared or at least they didn't articulate it well enough for me to think that they were.
okay, i'm done now.
Love the kitchen for sure! And everything else that we've seen so far. If I were to call Super Nanny, I would prob dial your number, so I am sure you are doing everything "right," and that works for you. I am sure it will take awhile to adjust to. And good work on the shutter stalking. I love that storY!
super fancy kitchen. love it. now i expect to see some gourmet recipes coming out of that thing!
so i don't have all the answers for allie. that is pretty frustrating. first thing i would try is starting bedtime earlier. second thing would be to make a reward chart for a)going to bed by a certain time b) staying in bed at night. also the prayer thing too. tell her that if she gets scared then to pray, it has worked with kennedi. also i have heard of people dedicating their houses, similiar to churches. good luck!
Whew! You've gone through quite the whirlwind since you've moved in. And I have absolutely no advice to offer you on Allie...we're still trying to figure out our 4 year old Nathan. He still sneaks in our bed at night and demands more and more during his bedtime routine. When supernanny comes to your house, share with me her secrets!!
Post a Comment