Monday, August 17, 2009

From the "What have you been up to?" file

I have been a bad blogger. Mostly because how do you write about everything EXCEPT the one thing that is really on your mind (that post, about the first trimester, will come later)? But we have actually done some fun things lately and I was amazed when I looked at the camera to find that we had actually documented some of them.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to Antelope Island/The Great Salt Lake. We had been there before, but wanted to actually test the assumption that you can float unassisted in the Salt Lake (you can, but I don't know why you'd want to. It smells terrible and is extremely disgusting. But the kids all had a chance to float and we came home with enough salt on our bodies to season our roasts for a year). Antelope Island is an interesting place, and we enjoyed seeing all the wildlife (namely, one antelope and dozens of bison). Damon (wearing goggles in this picture, because he still thought he might actually submerge his head in the GSL to see what was there. Not happening) posed in front of this bison after eating a buffalo burger at the concession stand. Kyla was trapped inside the car, but yelled out, "Come here, buffalo! We have some candy for you!"

It was a fun trip, but we got no pictures of our actual swimming adventure. Take my word for it, though, you may POSSIBLY want to go once in your lifetime, to say you have done it, but I doubt we will ever be back. Sorry future offspring, no floating in the GSL for you.

Allie also finished her summer stint at BYU's preschool. She had a great time and I am so glad we did that for her. Now I know exactly what things we need to work on before kindergarten next year (holding a crayon and a pair of scissors come to mind).

This is Mr. Brad, the head teacher in Allie's class.

Some funny disguises the girls wanted to show off.


Allie, so happy to be able to take her nametag home.

Jeff got a new desk for his office, which came in several big boxes. Damon had big plans for the boxes, and Jeff helped him put together this awesome "fort" in our basement. We bought some paints at the store and let the kids paint it one morning.


Kyla got as much paint on her face as she got on the fort.


We also went camping with Jeff's sister and her family one weekend. It happened to be the coldest weekend we had had in weeks, and we were all freezing most of the time.


Jeff and the girls trying to warm up. They are in a hammock, in a sleeping bag, listening to music on Jeff's phone.

All the kids: Damon and David with their sharpened sticks (a must for camping. And Lord of the Flies), Caitlin doing bunny ears (another popular pose), Kyla, Allie, Maren and Hunter squished together. Probably for warmth.


Kyla had a great time. When she wasn't complaining of being "coldy."

Jeff and I had our own reading material. I thought it was funny--he was reading a history of the Grand Canyon and I was rereading Harry Potter #6 so we can go see the movie.


Our scrum-diddly-umptious dinner that Ryan made for us. Seriously, it was so yummy. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it.


I don't know why this picture is sideways. It wasn't this way before I started, and I don't feel like changing it now. These are the "three burritos" in the tent. It was dark and I couldn't see what I was doing, so we had several attempts to get them all in the screen. Allie's face scares me. And Kyla does look "coldy."

Okay, phew. It feels good to have that done. More later?

7 comments:

jaesi said...

I love Kyla.

Heather B said...

I wanna know what's in that dutch oven!! Thanks for all the pics, they're way cute.

The Calico Crew said...

You make some of us look old and boring. Glad you're having adventures anyway!

Heather said...

I know just what you mean about the not writing about the important, all-consuming thing.

Funny, A and Sienna need to work on the same thing - fine motor skills.

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

congratulations on expecting! We are happy for you!

Ann Mitchell said...

I actually had a two day teacher workshop through the U of U on Antelope Island! It was so good!!!

Anonymous said...

you guys are so fun!