Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nine years



Yesterday Jeff and I celebrated our ninth anniversary. Well, "celebrated" is too strong of a word. We are planning to go out on an actual dinner/movie date on Saturday to "celebrate." Yesterday we mentioned to each other that we had been married nine years, and reminisced for a few minutes before my sleeping pill kicked in and I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

But we have been married nine years. We both agreed that it has sped by with alarming speed. Neither of us feel old enough to say that we have been married just shy of a decade. But then I remember that a few months ago, my sister who is just starting high school admitted that she had never heard of Third Eye Blind. We must be getting old. So, when I stop to think about all that has happened the past nine years, I am amazed to realize that we have already shared a lifetime of experiences.

Consider just some of the things we have experienced since August 19, 2000.

Survived four winters in Ohio.
Survived two summers in Florida.
Survived two different stints living with Jeff's parents, each one approximately a year long

Celebrated a national championship for THE Ohio State Buckeyes
Celebrated a World Series win for my Boston Red Sox

Suffered through four (now make it five) awful first trimesters
Suffered through the birth of three healthy babies
Suffered through the death of one tiny baby boy
Suffered through an ectopic pregnancy

Managed to survive one awful jaw surgery (Jeff's)
Managed to survive a scare involving a needle stick and Hep-C (Jeff)
Managed to survive a diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse (irregular heartbeat--again, Jeff)
Managed to survive a number of shock treatments to determine another diagnosis of myasthenia gravis (a condition that causes fatigue in muscles--again, also Jeff).

Graduated from BYU with a BS in Geography (J)
Graduated from BYU with a BS in Elementary Ed (K)
Graduated from dental school at Ohio State
Graduated from orthodontics at JU

Visited the following states: Wyoming, Colorado, California, Nevada, Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Delaware, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia (may be forgetting something, but close enough)

Bought our first "home" (an 880 sq ft condo in Columbus)
Bought our last home (a much larger home in Orem)

Endured many long nights and early mornings with babies
Endured many long nights and early mornings studying

Shared hundreds of tears (most shed by me)
Shared thousands of laughs
Shared our lives

When you look at it like that, we really have been through a lot together. If these nine years have taught me anything (and I like to think that they have), I know that we can get through anything. As long as we do it together (okay, a little sappy, but it HAS been nine years!).

Happy anniversary Jeff! I look forward to a lifetime of memories yet to come!



19 comments:

Angie said...

What a great post! I loved reading it! Happy anniversary!

jaesi said...

wonderful.
great pics.

The Hansen Family said...

Awesome post, It makes you realize how time flies and I could totally relate to most of it! Sad but good! Happy Anniversary! What a cute couple!

BBC said...

happy anniversary you two! hope your weekend celebrating is fun!

Heather B said...

9 years! Wow! I'm honored I got to be in one of the pics. I Love both those pictures.

TEAM ALOFIPO said...

This is mom, using Tara's ID because it's already up on the computer. I KNEW that August 19th was a special day but it's only today that I realized why. I will never forget sitting in Sunday School and you and Heather saying to me that you were looking at August 19th to get married, and I was shocked because you hadn't even told me for sure that Jeff was the one for you, even though I could see it in your eyes. That wedding, being my first for you girls, was one of the happiest times of my life. I floated for 2 weeks afterwards, it was all so wonderful (hope no males are reading this, we girls are SO cheesy). Nine years has flown by for me too, but they have been good ones. I love you both, and I especially love my grandkids, I am the luckiest grandma in the world.

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary. You really got married on a great day (my bday-but you know that after reading my blog today). You guys have done and been through a lot in those short 9 years. Here's to many more years together.

Sarah said...

ok, i have to say that top wedding pic looks like you guys are challenging eachother to an intense game of either stare down or pinkie wresting! The passioN!

I sweat it hasn't been that long either...but when you break it down I can't believe all that you're been through.

The Calico Crew said...

That made you one year older than me...don't our lives start over when we get married. I always knew you were more experienced than me in many ways so I guess it doesn't hurt my feelings that you've seen and done so much since your married life began. I guess I should go back and read for myself about your loss of baby but it got me thinking. Tiff just lost one too and I find myself forgetting it all too often. It will always be a part of her life just like it's a part of yours.
Glad you've found a keeper to share eternity with!

The Leggs said...

9 years! Wow! That picture of you, your sisters and Jeff is so cute. None of you have changed a bit.

Lisha said...

Congrats on 9 years!:)

I am Laura said...

Heres to many more years together.

Christina Mangelson said...

Yes, when we do put it like that all of us have been through a tremendous amount. I love reading your posts because you are such a great writer. I think I novel should be in the makes. Happy Anniversary. Love ya!

Lindsay said...

Happy anniversary!!! You guys looked SO CUTE and SO YOUNG in your wedding pics! And congrats on your pregnancy! I'm out of the loop! No one told me! I'm so excited for you guys! I hope you're feeling okay! Those first trimesters can be a little rough!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Way cute post! Also, can I just say that you three Espy girls look the same! Seriously, besides different hair color you guys look the same! Gorgeous gorgeous!

Megan said...

I love your posts. What a nice way to remember all the things you've managed to get through in your first 9 years of marriage. It does seem to go by fast when you look back (we're coming up on 13 soon!)

Summertime Designs said...

Awesome post! Congratulations. Cory has always loved that you are a sports fan. I always have to apologize to him that I'm not :) And you two really have been through a lot...some very sad, some very cool, some very fun. And congrats also on your pregnancy. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I love the first pic of you guys! So neat! Happy Anniversary! I might have to steal this format for our anniversary post in Dec. I never know what to write!

Lana said...

Such a great post for the anniversary. You and Jeff are adorable. If we were still in high school I'd vote you guys "BEST SMILE COUPLE". :)