Monday, September 14, 2009

Overdue post

I don't know why I haven't posted in a while. I guess I have just been in a blogging funk and haven't felt like sitting down and writing. "My bad!," as my mom would say.

I was a single mom for two weeks, that was a lot of fun. Jeff and his brothers took a trip down the Colorado River for 10 days (the trip of a lifetime, as the wives were told). He was home for 12 hours before he hopped on a plane and flew to Dallas for the BYU/Oklahoma game. Rough life, huh? I took the kids to St. George for Labor Day weekend, and an Esplin Family reunion, so by the time we were reunited, it had been two weeks since we had seen him for more than a couple of hours. Kyla had pink eye while he was gone, and I was waiting it out, hoping I wouldn't have to take her to the doctor for an antibiotic, and I probably waited too long. Again, "my bad!" Jeff's brother sent him a text from our boys' soccer game while Jeff was in Texas that said, "Damon scored a goal, KyKy has conjunctivitis, and your wife is wearing tight shorts. You're missing all the fun!" Only two of those things were true (at least, I don't think my shorts were tight), but Jeff said it really made him miss his family. It's good to have him home. Although I did get to watch a lot of Lois and Clark on Hulu (what a great show).

I'm 18 weeks pregnant now and not hiding it well at all. Although people are nice, and tell me that I am tiny, Jeff and I both know the truth. It doesn't bother me, though. I'm just so happy not to be puking anymore that I'll take an expanding belly as a trade. Allie has suddenly been very involved in the pregnancy (or at least acknowledging it on a daily basis). She told me the other day, as I was cutting an avocado, that it reminded her of a mom with a baby inside.

Another day, she was in the bathroom as I was getting dressed, and she asked me, "Do you have those same ones for all your babies?"

Confused, I asked, "The same what?"

"The same breasts," she clarified. Obviously she has noticed that my "new" set are looking a little different.

For the most part, I feel really good. I haven't been too anxious at all about this pregnancy, but just feeling like everything is going to be fine. Then a week before I went to St. George, my mom called and told me that my cousin's wife was 20 weeks pregnant with her fourth boy when they couldn't find his heartbeat on the ultrasound. It was confirmed that he had passed away, and she had to deliver a stillborn baby boy. For some reason, this really affected me. I'm not close to this cousin and his wife, but I felt an instant connection with her, and I couldn't help but relive my own experience with a stillborn baby boy. Since then, I have had TONS of anxiety, ranging from something is wrong with the baby to something is wrong with me. Last week I was having a lot of lower back pain, and I was in complete panic mode, sure I was having preterm labor. I tried to calm myself down, listing to myself all the reasons that was absurd, like, I have never had preterm labor with any of my babies, so why should I now? Still, though, it took me several hours to get my brain to believe it.

It all comes back to the lesson I have to keep relearning: no matter what I do, I have no control over what happens with this baby. If he/she is going to have physical or mental disabilities, worrying about it isn't going to change that. If he/she is going to suddenly stop growing, I can't change that either. All I can do is put my trust in the Lord and believe that He knows what is best for me and my family, and let the rest itself out. But, why oh why is that such a hard lesson to learn?

The past few days I have felt better (mentally. My back still hurts.). I feel more willing to give up control and to work on the things I CAN do (like being a better mom to the three kids I do have). I've been listening to "More Holiness give Me" from The Missionary Hymn Project, and was struck really for the first time at just how beautiful the words are. Listen to it sometime if you're feeling overwhelmed. It helped me to realize that I don't have to be perfect right now. I don't have to do everything. I just need to do a little more. Be a little better (like President Hinckley used to always say). Be a little more like my Savior. And so those are the things I have been asking for lately. I defintely need all the help I can get.

Okay. Maybe now you're wishing that I was still on my blogging hiatus after all that. I know posts are boring without any pictures, so here is one from Damon's first day of school. Hopefully, he will fill that doorway (or a lot more of it) by the time he is standing there for his senior year of high school. He is doing great at school, and has four friends (boys, yay!) that he plays with at recess. I focus on that, and not the fact that they play with all the third grade girls, in some kind of competition for the slide. Some kids were made for public school, and Damon is one of them.

14 comments:

Heather B said...

No, we are SO GLAD to have you back from your blogging hiatus. Once again, another wonderful post, with things to make us laugh outloud (that Allie!!) and then things to make us think about being better. You're the best. I cannot BELIEVE how big Damon has gotten (and it was kind of weird imagining him being a Senior in HS someday!) Miss ya lots!

Heather said...

Oh Krystal, I'm sorry about the hardships of pregnancy. I too gladly trading an expanding waistline for less nausea. Hope everything goes great.

Andrea said...

You are such a cute blogger. I love everything you write!! Thanks for the invite (again!). And congrats on both the pregnancy and being married nine years!! It's almost ten for Gavin and me! And it's almost the big 3-0!!!! We are definitely getting old!

The Calico Crew said...

Welcome Back! I'm going to make a baby prediction of another girl--but don't worry if you don't want one, I'm NEVER right...unless for some reason I am this time :) I though tight shorts were in style right now. Guess I better change my wardrobe pronto!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I think that most people go through periods of their pregnancy when they have a little anxiety. At least I do. I do the same thing sometimes with Nathan even now that he is hear. All the what if's will pop into my head and I'll freak out a bit.

We are just lucky we have the gospel and the knowledge we do, so we have the strength to handle this world!

TPlayer said...

Listening to Michael Sackett's voice calms me down too!..oh wait! I mean Alan, I mean..ok well really any of them. Ya know..That song actually became very real to me this summer during EFY Nauvoo. For a devotional one night with my girls, we actually picked apart the text of that song and had an amazing discussion about Faith in the Savior-all based off of that song. You're amazing. I want to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Glad you're back! :) It's hard to give up control with certain things--most things--and I've had a hard time learning that lesson. When you're the mom, you're in charge of so many daily family functions. For me, I just want to put everything on my "to do" list and take care of it myself.

The Leggs said...

I have had some major anxiety lately too. You aren't alone there. I have been showing a lot more too - but like you, I will take my expanding belly and tighter pants instead of my daily puking! I hope that is over for the next 19 weeks!!!

jakenapril said...

oh, emotions are always so close to the surface when you're pregnant. glad jeff is home to help. you have a wonderful family and i'm sure that all will be well! hang in there!

Megan said...

I think you went on hiatus because you've spent some much time keeping us posted via your iphone on facebook :)

I am enjoying hearing about your life (and glad I just have to hear about pregnancy) and that I'm actually not going through that right now. With #4 I had more back pain than any of the other ones. I hope it doesn't keep up the whole time for you.

Malinovka said...

Damon looks so grown-up in that picture! I'm sure he'll fill the door frame all by himself in 12 more years. I'm so glad you're feeling better--yes, I'd for sure take an expanding waistline over throwing up any day. You're a trooper to have done all you did without Jeff for 2 weeks! I think I would have died. Well, Eric wouldn't have dared leave me for that long, anyway. :) Thanks for the shared lessons learned. It's always good to hear a reminder about letting go and taking care of what only we can do.

Lana said...

I don't know what it was about this last pregnancy, but I had all sorts of irrational worries that I hadn't ever been plagued with before. I always thought I was having pre-term labor or other things too!! It must be our advancing years. :) I'll keep you and the little avocado seed in my prayers!! Meanwhile, enjoy the breasts. :)

Anonymous said...

Never apologize for a post! ;).....And I seemed to get the back pain worse and worse with every child. I had back problems before I ever got pregnant but I was told with each child that is possible. I'm so sorry but I vividly remember the pain! If it makes you feel any better...I too have to keep learning a big lesson over and over and over. I tend to feel grateful for it because I fear if I DID learn it I might be done on this earth!!!! Yikes!

Greg and Tammy said...

Welcome back to blogging! :)

Glad you and your avocado baby are doing well... and not puking anymore!