Thursday, October 22, 2009

Picture/Update Overload

I hired Jeff to take pictures of the kids this year. I opted out of school pictures, and put all my faith in my husband, who in no way claims to be a "child photographer." I even got my sister, Tara, to bring her kids along for the fun. We were both really happy with the way the pictures turned out. These are some of my favorite shots of the kids.


Tara's idea to take one of them together from behind. Damon is a little stiff, but still cute.

The best of the three of them together. Kyla looks like she is just about to answer the call, "Will the real Slim Shady please stand up."



Love this one.

Sort of what I had in mind when I went searching all over for the lollipops. At least Damon's expression is what I was going for. Tara's kids got some great lollipop shots, so it was worth it.

DAMON:
At seven years old, Damon is in some ways the boy he has always been. He has the most tender heart, and has to remind himself that movies aren't real and will end happy. He is really into the Magic Treehouse books right now, and will read one in about 40 minutes. He thrives on having a schedule and sticking to it. He needs to know what we're going to do and what, exactly, to expect from any situation he is going to be in.


He is still a major collector, and I am constantly trying to talk him out of bringing things home. He is also the only reason I need to check pockets when doing laundry. He is notorious for stuffing things in his pants that he might need later, and then forgetting all about them. I had to spend the afternoon scraping an entire package of gum off the inside of the dryer when I forgot to check his pockets. He is super competitive and really wants to be the best at everything. He worked really hard at soccer this year, never wanting to come off the field. He may not have the most talent, but he has the determination to succeed at whatever it is he chooses to do.


His favorite color is yellow, which I think says a lot about him. He is a very happy kid (as long as he knows what to expect) and loves life. He loves hiking, fishing, riding his bike, leading the neighborhood kids in all kinds of activities, and anything we do together as a family. He really is so much fun to be around and has absolutely the best laugh I have ever heard.

ALLIE:
At four years old, Allie is starting to outgrow SOME of the drama she loved so much as a two and three year old. She is exceptional at entertaining herself, which is really nice for me in the afternoons when Kyla is still napping. She loves anything girlie, and we often remark that she was born into the wrong family for that. She reluctantly accompanies us on all sorts of adventures, but is becoming less lazy all the time. She still is a master manipulator, although Kyla seems to be catching on, and won't do nearly as much as she used to do for Allie.

She is working hard learning to read and write and I can see that it has finally clicked in her head. She is always wanting to cut and write and asking how to spell words, and I am so glad she has decided to be literate. She can still throw a fit with the best of them, but overall, she is a much happier girl than she was even a year ago. She likes to have things her way, but is learning to be more flexible and easy going.

KYLA:

At two years old, this little girl is one of my absolute favorite people. She is super happy and loves life. She is extremely well coordinated and has no problem riding a tricycle or a scooter. She is also very adventurous and happily goes along with anything we have going. She is, however, two and acts like it. She wants to do things for herself and her independence gets her into trouble all the time. But usually, she is instantly remorseful and timeouts work very well with her.

She still loves taking naps, but doesn't love bedtime, and is usually the first one up in the morning. She loves songs, books, games, puzzles and anything she can participate in.

I love being a mom to three very different kids, and I learn so much from each one of them. I can't wait to see what Baby Boy brings to our family dynamic, and hope he is as much fun as the other three.

14 comments:

jaesi said...

Oh these are beautiful. You really do have great kids. they sounds so fun.

Heather said...

Cute pictures. I'm so relieved to hear that A is doing so much better. Tanner loves hte Magic Tree House books too, but wants me to read them to him.

Lindsay said...

These are the cutest pics EVER! I miss you guys! You, April, Julie and Noel HAVE TO come back for TOFW next year! That would be so awesome!

Lana said...

I really think that Tatum and Damon's kids are going to be CRAZY ADORABLE!!! And they'll be good together because Tatum tends to be a little nervous if she doesn't know everything about a new situation (down to "where will I use the bathroom?!") But maybe that will mean that they'll both be too nervous to leave the house. :) Oh, and I forgot that Tatum told me she's not having kids because she doesn't want a baby to come out of her. :) So, Damon will just have to find a wife somewhere else I guess. But you have the cutest kids around...that's for sure!

The Calico Crew said...

I think your pictures are way better than any school pictures. I mean, when is the last time you saw a train in a school pic? I love what you've written about your kids. I've been thinking a lot about what I write on my blogs and I need to be better about writing the BEST things about my kids so they know how much I love them! Great post, Krystal (as always!)

Greg and Tammy said...

WOW! Jeffarooni!! I impressive pictures!! Of course, it doesn't hurt that you have three adorable children.... but seriously... really great shots.

Denise said...

What great pictures! Jeff did a great job. It is fun, like you said, to see the 3 different kids and their personalities! I was thinking the same thing about my 3 just yesterday.

Lisha said...

Those pictures just say it all. Serioulsy what a beautiful family you have. Even though I've never met any of your kids, I feel like I know them through all your blogging and it's so fun to laugh along with their stories and watch them grow up. You are a wonderful mom and you should be happy at your amazing family!:)

Sarah said...

WHere is this awesome railroad/old door? Not bad for a non-child photographer! I think I'm going to do some railroad shots next week at our shoot too...we live RIGHT next to the biggest rail yard this side of the Mississippi! For real!

Ann Mitchell said...

Super pictures!!! My favorite color is yellow, like Damon...I can entertain myself like Allie...And I love naps and I first one up (in the neighborhood), to get to the pool by 5:00 a.m.!

Megan said...

Jeff did a fantastic job with the pictures. And I like your local too! So much better than school pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hey--Jeff's already in the smile business, he could moonlight as a photographer! :)

april said...

I'm glad you posted the pics, the kids are so cute! I got my camera stolen out of my car today and I hadn't uploaded the Moab pics :( Could you email me the ones you got? It was so fun seeing you again and we had SUCH a blast. Thanks again Krystal!!! We have to do it again!

Noel said...

Love them (the pics and the kids)! Jeff is one talented trapnell! Good for You a skill that comes in handy.. Gregs skills are of no use to me personally..well, I guess my car is always running in pristine condition :)