For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a mom. Well, except for those few years as a child when I wanted to be a pediatrician. Or those years in junior high when I had my heart set, inexplicably, on being a graphic designer. And forget about that degree in Elementary Education that I have. I never really wanted to teach school. For the majority of my life, I knew I wanted to be a mom.
Partly, I am sure, it was due to the example of my own mother. I thought I had the best mom in the world when I was growing up, and now that I am getting older, I am certain of it. My mom is amazing. And my sister, Heather, did an awesome tribute to her, which you can read HERE. Like Heather, I am so grateful to have the best mom around. And my kids know that they have the best grandma in the world, too. Recently, I told the kids that they are going to get to stay with grandma at the end of the month for a couple of days, and Allie yelled excitedly, "Get ready for the sugar!"
After Carter was born, my mom came and stayed with us for two weeks to help make the adjustment to four kids. When she was getting ready to leave, she hugged me and said, "You may think we are so different, and have nothing in common, but you love being a mom, just like I do." I have thought about that many times since, and I know that she is absolutely right. I love being a mom. Despite all the sleepless nights, the times my own food has grown cold while I am serving everyone else, the endless piles of laundry or the fact that someone always seems to be crying, I wouldn't trade my "job" for anything else.
I love knowing that Damon will laugh heartily at any little joke I make.I love listening to him read books I loved as a kid. I love watching Allie and Kyla play pretend together for hours at a time. I love watching Allie's eyes light up when she discovers she can do something, like swim or cross the monkey bars. I love the way Kyla pulls her pants down and moons me as she crosses the house to the bathroom. I love the way Carter watches me move around the kitchen, hoping to catch my eye. I love snuggling with Carter after he has been bathed and lotioned.
I love all the little things I know about my kids that no one else does. I love the way I get excited about holidays all over again, just imagining how excited my kids will be. I love watching them learn about the gospel and to see the light in their eyes when they express their love for Jesus Christ. I love my kids more than I ever thought I could. I love being a mom.
I know I complain about it sometimes, because being a mom means that you have very little time for yourself. And sometimes the sacrifices I make for my family seem to go unappreciated. Which is why I'm so glad someone decided mothers needed their own day of recognition. Yesterday the kids let me take a nap and cleaned the house for me. Damon gave me a calendar he made at school, and Allie gave me some homemade "roses" that she made at preschool. They all told me that they loved me. And that is all I ever wanted. Well, except for the time I wanted to be a basketball coach...
5 comments:
Well said! You look beee-yootiful in the picture!
Ditto what Heather said-you look GORGEOUS with a capital G! And...I've ALWAYS thought you were an amazing mom! I know I don't see hardly at all these days. But when I have been around you I can see an incredible mom! Hope you had a great day! Love ya'!
whoops! I meant "I don't see YOU"! :)
are you kidding me? "Get ready for the sugar?" LOL, and I mean so loud I almost woke up your dad. I must have a talk with Allie about how her dad is a DENTIST, and we don't talk about sugar OUT LOUD!! That was supposed to be our little secret! Can't wait for memorial day weekend, and way to go Carter, for beefing up with the bottle and sleeping more, and crying less (for your mother's sake of course) I love how YOU love being a mom, but I especially LOVE TO WATCH you being a mom, it's awesome!! Happy Mother's Day to you too Krystal!
Allie cracks me up!
Loved this post. I love your mom and I've only met her a couple of times. You are so blessed to have a mom like her.
Post a Comment