Tuesday, August 24, 2010

In Threes

After Kyla burned her leg, I kept wondering to myself what was going to be next. The Rule of Three (bad things come in threes) kept creeping up, and although I hoped we'd avoid it, in the back of my mind I knew something else was going to happen to her.

In her defense, this accident was entirely someone else's fault. Next door to us there is a house being built, and on Sunday night, the kids were playing over by the dumpster. Damon was picking out pieces of 2x4's to build with and tossing them onto our grass. Kyla was standing there innocently. And, of course, because her magnetic north is attracted to accidents, one of the blocks hit her right on top of the head.


I looked over when I heard her crying and there was a lot of blood. It took quite a while, but we got the blood to stop, and we got a look at the gash on her head. Really, it wasn't that big. About an inch long (it went farther into her hair line than you can see here) and only medium deep. We put pressure on it for a long time, telling ourselves that she didn't really need to go to the hospital, but would be fine.

Eventually, we did consult with an expert (our brother in law is an ER nurse and in training to become a nurse practitioner), and he thought it needed a couple of staples. And he could do them at his house. So, I took Kyla over there, where she got three shots of litocaine (which made her giggle nervously) and two staples.

Thankfully (AGAIN), she is tough, and she didn't cry during the procedure. Just another battle wound to talk about when she's older. And hopefully, now that the Law of Three has been fulfilled, she will remain accident free for at least another couple months.

That, though, was probably not the most traumatic event from Kyla's life last week.

We had my parents in town last week for Education Week, and although they were gone a lot during the day, the kids got spoiled by having them here at nights. On Friday, they had to leave to go back home, and we stood out on the grass to say good-bye. But as soon as they rounded the corner, Kyla felt abandoned. And she let us know.

It's hard to be three...


5 comments:

jaesi said...

yowza! a staple in the head is NOT my idea of a good time.

Poor neglected Kyla ;)

Heather B said...

Oh, that last pic is so sad! And so ironic that she doesn't seem to cry when she has minor operations such as staples to the head. I love all the connections you have in the medical world. What a lifesaver for deductibles and health plans. :)

Greg and Tammy said...

OUCH!!! That looks horrible. Glad she is one tough cookie!

Anonymous said...

Poor Kyla!! But nice for you to have some good medical resources! :)

TPlayer said...

I love your kids. Your stories crack me up!