Last Sunday I started having contractions. They were about 5 minutes apart and weren't very hard and lasted about 2 hours. They stopped after that and I was grateful. There were still a lot of things I needed to get done before baby decided it was time to come. We were hoping to make it until Friday, when Jeff was finished with work and my mom got here.
Tuesday I got out of my sweats for the first time in days and decided I better take a picture. It had been a while. So, here's my last pregnant picture.
At this point, I was plus 30 pounds from the beginning of pregnancy, and I weighed the same as I did when I delivered Carter.
On Wednesday, I went in to my doctor's appointment and I was dilated to 2+. We decided to go ahead and schedule an induction for Monday morning if we needed it. I was still hoping to go on my own during the weekend. For the rest of the day on Wednesday, I was having contractions off and on, about every 10 minutes. They were harder than the ones I had on Monday night, but they weren't very consistent and still not THAT hard (I was lying on the couch watching American Idol and described them as "uncomfortable" to Jeff). I took a bath and got in bed around 11:30, hoping that they would taper off enough so I could go to sleep. I think I fell asleep around 12:00. At 2:00, I woke up with a hard contraction. I knew that feeling. I had had it before with Allie, and I got up.
By 2:30, the contractions were coming every 2 minutes and they were the hardest yet. I had to stop and breathe (and ride the "wave") to get through them. I woke Jeff up and told him we needed to go to the hospital. He got up and got himself together and I tried to busy myself around the house, setting out the kids' St Patrick's Day outfits I had bought for them. Damon woke up and I told him we were going to the hospital. I wonder how much he remembers. My cousin, Monique, was on Spring Break and was actually still awake when I called. She got here just before 3:00 and my contractions were now every minute and lasting a minute. Yep, no turning back.
We got to the hospital and they wasted no time in getting me back and changed. When she checked me at 3:20, I was completely dilated and ready to push. Deja vu all over again. The nurse called my doctor and asked if I wanted an epidural. I told her I didn't think I needed it, but let's get the babies here.
My doctor got there around 4;00, broke my water, and we were off. I started pushing, but the little stinker was face up (like all my babies), and not descending into the birth canal. I was really in a lot of pain and could see that things weren't going to be as quick as I hoped. The nurses assured me I was doing great, and remarked that they were going to get me to swear before it was over. To which I quickly responded, "Get this damn baby out of me!" My doctor said, "the damn baby doesn't want to come down!"
I pushed for about 30 minutes (I would guess) and nothing was happening. I was getting so tired and was in a tremendous amount of pain. I would have said 10 out of 10 on the pain scale. But I didn't know the pain could get worse. The doc attempted to use forceps to help get the baby down farther, and that was the low point for me. I felt like I was literally going to be ripped apart from the inside. If someone ever wanted to torture another human being, that would be the way I would suggest they do it. Quickly, we could see that that wasn't going to work. The baby's heart rate was not tolerating all the pushing very well and the doctor had me "rest" on every other contraction, instead of pushing, to give the babe a chance to recover. Not pushing on a contraction is significantly harder than pushing, and I really was just finished with the whole thing. I decided that if the doctor said C-section, I was on board. I just wanted the baby to be okay and I wanted it over!
My doctor suggested I get an epidural and let my uterus do some of the pushing. We were hoping that the baby's heart rate would tolerate that a little better. I agreed. As I was getting the epidural, I still had the feeling that I was being prepped for a C-section if necessary, and I asked the nurse, "what do you think my chances are of having this baby without a C-section?" She said, "if anyone can get this baby out, it's Dr. Judd. He can do amazing things with forceps." I was a little hopeful again.
After about 30 minutes, I was finally feeling some relief. Actually, I was completely numb from the waist down and was feeling light headed. The epidural was spreading up my back and arms and I really wanted to sit up so I could feel better. But the baby's heart didn't like that very much, and started decelerating again. My doctor came right in and had me start pushing again. After a couple of pushes, he said, "I think I can get this kid out." And I started to really feel hopeful. About 20 minutes later, with a lot of pushing that I couldn't feel, the doctor said, "look down, there's your baby!" As I was looking down, Jeff said, "It's definitely a boy!"
After that, things were a blur. I know the baby was covered in green poop (for St Patrick's Day, of course) when he came out, but he was perfect. He started crying right away and didn't stop for a good 30-45 minutes. I guess he wasn't quite ready to be ripped from his cozy home. I know I cried with relief and happiness and that Jeff was grinning from ear to ear, knowing he had another baby boy.
Poor Jeff, though, he had to get to work by 8:00. He had 29 kids waiting to get their braces off, and he didn't want to have to reschedule them all. He had a long day, but I had a hard time feeling TOO sympathetic for him after what I had been through. He had told me before he left that he liked McKay and Austin as first names and that I could choose. John was going to be his middle name, after his great-grandpa John Thygerson. As I spent the morning holding him and loving him (and finally getting him to stop crying so I could see him), I just felt that McKay felt right. I also decided that, if Jeff didn't mind, I was going to spell him middle name Jon, not only after his great-grandpa, but also after my brother Jonathan. Jeff said that was okay with him, so McKay Jon Trapnell he became.
He weighed 8 lbs 3 oz (almost a pound bigger than my biggest baby, and probably the biggest reason he wouldn't descend into the birth canal) and was 20 inches long. Big boy. And a good reason why I shouldn't have any more. I'm convinced I'd end up with a C-section next time (and I don't think there will be a next time. I feel complete).
I got some pretty flowers from the girls at Jeff's office, probably as a thank you for sending him to work on time (haha).
So far, McKay has been such a sweet, perfect baby. From pictures, he seems to look a little like Kyla, but not really too similar to anyone. Here is a pic of Kyla at a few days old.
18 comments:
He's so cute. II love those little lips! I also love the last 2 pictures and I think I see you for sure...too early to call maybe, but it will be fun to see. I think it's a different nose than your other kids, isn't it? I'm glad Jeff is happy that he got another boy. And I liked the swearing part, that was funny. Praise Dr. Judd for sparing you a C-section.
He's beautiful Krystal! Congrats to your little family! I love love love his name!
He is darling! I am amazed you endured forceps without an epidural! I had to have them with my oldest, but had an epidural and can't imagine the pain of them without one. Ouch! Hope recovery is going well for you! Congrats again.
Congratulations! I am so happy for you! He is such a beautiful baby!
A beautiful boy! I can't believe you didn't have to have a c - congrats to all!
I think his name is also perfect for St. Patrick's Day. Love it.
Birthing stories always make me cringe, and yours especially. Ouch! but totally worth it! :)
Aww! He is SO CUTE and I love his name And you POOR THING! I can't believe you didn't have an epidural when you started pushing and when the doc used the forceps! I've always wondered if they put any kind of topical anesthetic down there for mom's who do it naturally. Now I know they don't! That's awful! I bet you are glad it's over! Cam was the same size as McKay but I thankfully had an epidural and he came out pretty quickly thank goodness because he had dropped all the way. Get some rest and I hope your recovery is easier than the delivery! Congratulations!
What a healthy lookin' kid! Congrats! I can't say I've had anything like your birthing experience (knock on wood) so I think you are one tough woman!
he's absolutely adorable! i'm so glad he made it into the world ok!
A big Congratulations! That is quite the birth story. You are superwoman to endure as long as you did. McKay is very handsome! I am so happy for you. Can't believe you are a mother of 5 children!! Awesome!
Hes gorgeous!!
what a story! I love love to hear them all.
You are so awesome! 6 times you have done this! that is too neat.
Wow! Congratulations! he looks like a Trapnell... super cute!
That birth story sounds really harrowing!! Wow. You are amazing. I'm so happy for you guys! Congratulations on this cute new baby. Hope you get some rest with your mom there!
Cute boy! He looks like a Trapnell baby! Thanks for sharing your birth story. It is amazing and exciting and a little scary all rolled into one. Forcepts w/o epidural does sound terrible! Hope you are healing well.
First, CONGRATS!!!! Second, YOWZERS... your birth sound super painful and I started to wince a little "down there" just hearing the horrible story. Sympathy pains I guess. :) Good luck being a Mother to 5. McKay is darling!!
Jeff and Krystal---CONGRATS!!! What a cutie! I am so glad that I decided I had better check in on your blog . . . guess it's good we didn't get together, so you could get ready. I hope you are doing well and will wait anxiously for our invite to come down and meet McKay (and Carson for that matter--how pathetic is that?) Can't wait to see you!! Lots and lots of LOVE!
He is seriously handsome! Great birth story. The one thing that amazes me about childbirth is how tough we really are as women. Epidurals are great, but we would all go natural if there were no other choice, right? It's what's been done for millenia! You were so tough to endure all that! I felt empowered by going through all that pain with my babies. I handled more than I thought I was capable of, and you probably did too. Nice work, and totally worth the outcome!
Great blog post babe! I was completely overtaken with it. I am sorry you had to go through so much. I truly can't imagine that pain! You are wonder woman, and McKay is so lucky to have you. He is adorable, like the rest of the crew! AND...you should be soooo proud of your strong body, mind, soul, etc! CONGRATS! Can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment