Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Adjustment

So, people ask me, "How are the kids adjusting to the new baby?" Here's how:

DAMON

He's been through this before. He just carries on as if nothing has changed. But he doesn't like the crying and wants me to "fix it." But he's at school most of the time, so nothing has really changed. He likes to hold McKay, for a few minutes at a time, and then he's done and on his way.

This is the only recent picture I have of Damon. He has taken advantage of my need to sleep a little more in the morning by helping himself to Cap'N Crunch one day. He knows that's only for Saturday, but I was taking too long and he decided to take care of himself. But I guess I'm the only one to blame for that...

ALLIE

Allie is very helpful. She will hold McKay for a much longer period of time when I need to do things like clean up breakfast. She will get me things that I need and loves to talk about her new brother. Her life is basically unchanged as well, as she is in school half a day. She still talks non stop (telling me stories about kids in her class) and sounds out words when she talks ("mom, can I have some t-OHHHH-st?"). Recently, she has become a bit obsessed with laundry baskets. She called it her "parade." I found her asleep in her "float" two nights in a row.



KYLA

She is still hanging on to her cold, so she hasn't been able to hold McKay without a mask on. She has kept her distance. I'm sure part of it is because I have been telling her to stay away, but part of it is because she also sees it as an opportunity to do what she wants to do. She has gotten to spend more time doing her "three fun things"--playing the computer, watching kids shows, and playing my phone. One day she asked if I would look at the Waldo book with her on the couch and after about 10 minutes I started falling asleep. Later that night, she reminded me, "you fell asleep when we looked at the Waldo book, so can we do that again?"

She is really in an anti-pants phase right now. She wants to wear skirts every day (even to bed, with a jammie shirt) and still doesn't want to wear shoes or a jacket. And, yeah, it's still cold.

She wants her hair in a whole ponytail (because my mom would do it for her, even knowing it won't stay in for more than a couple hours) and tells me I should be able to do it. She hasn't acted like having the baby has changed her that much, but she has been less obedient and more obstinate since my mom left. She will tell me "no" flat out, and refuses to do things she doesn't want to do. I'm hoping that's part of her adjustment phase and that she'll be able to get over that soon.

CARTER

He has definitely had the hardest time adjusting. Understandably. But he is hard, flat out. He is so needy. He walks around the house crying, signing "eat," and then throwing fits when I won't constantly feed him. He cries a lot. I even had the doctor check his ears yesterday at McKay's appointment to see if there was a reason for his grouchiness. Nope, he's just ornery. Not all of the time, but a lot. He doesn't take it out on the baby (he mostly gets giddy whenever I let him get within 5 feet of McKay), but he takes it out on me. He loves to get into the cup drawer (he has for a few months now) and throw them on the floor.

He has also learned that he can throw things off the "deck" upstairs.


On the few warm days we had last week, we played outside, which makes a big difference in Carter's mood. He loves to be outside, eating dirt, throwing rocks, climbing on the trampoline...I know that once we can spend time outside every day, his life will be easier. He will be less bored and (hopefully) less hungry and LESS WHINY!

MCKAY

McKay is such a sweet baby. He has yet to be really fussy (although he has his moments). He has been sleeping better at night (3 hours at a time sometimes), and spending more and more time in his bed (although still several hours snuggled up with me, especially when he's gassy).


Every morning this week he has spent about 30 minutes in his swing (usually awake and calmly looking around) while I shower and get ready for the day. That's helpful.


BUT, he loves to be held. I can't put him down during the day for very long. I always try, once he has been fed and is sleeping, to put him in his bed. But he doesn't last very long. Maybe 5 minutes before I have to go pick him up. If he's being held, he's happy. That's just not the most convenient thing for me to do. And if he's fussy, Jeff doesn't want to hold him at all (he said to Damon, "I can't stand babies." Later he amended that statement and said, "I can't stand CRYING babies," but I know how he feels. He just isn't a baby dad).

I love holding him. Especially when he looks at me and smiles (which he did when I talked to him about his new cousin, Ella, and his angel brother, Chance). He seems to focus right on me, although I'm sure I'm blurry, and stares.

He weighed 9 lbs yesterday and was 21 1/2 inches long (an increase of 13 ounces and an inch and a half from birth), so he's growing well. He still doesn't like to open his mouth very wide when he nurses, but my body has adjusted for the most part and it isn't TOO painful. He rarely spits up and a lot of times I hear him swallow it back down (gross). He also doesn't burp all that often, but does get gassy later. Maybe I need to spend more time burping him. Yeah, I don't see that happening.

He has finally started going out in the car. To the doctor's office and to grandma's house. He doesn't love the car, but also doesn't seem to really hate it. He'll cry, but then he'll settle down. We'll see as he gets older what his true feelings are.


I am constantly amazed by how much I love him. Even when I'm tired and there are a MILLION things I need to do around the house, I still love picking him up and snuggling with him. I am really trying to enjoy him, as I feel like he is definitely my last baby. I feel like our family is complete. And I feel like I would lose my ever-loving mind if I even thought about having any more.


A little blurry from my phone, but how lucky am I? This little love is all mine. :)

5 comments:

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

You are amazing. I thought having two kids that were 20 months apart was close enough so I can imagine it must be difficult with a little 15 month old at home wanting his Mom. You all sound like you are doing great and I am glad everyone is getting over their sickness. It is always scary bringing a little baby home to a house full of germs. And you are great to be blogging too! I am impressed Crystal. Enjoy your little one.

Oh, and we are coming to UT this summer (end of June) and it would be fun to see you guys again. We will have to try to coordinate something when the date gets closer.

Karen E said...

so cute!! can't wait to meet him! lucky number 6! ps. this is TAra

Sarah said...

So sweet! I love all the pictures and am SO impressed that you are diligent enough to take so many pictures and blog about it. Your kids are so lucky you are their mom!!

Greg and Tammy said...

DARLING. You really do such a great job of updating on all your kids all of the time. You will all appreciate having this to look back on someday.

I can't imagine how exhausted you must be. BUT, keep up the good attitude and I'll pray for longer sleep stretches soon for you!

Wish I were partying it up this weekend in Utah with you guys!! Now it's MY turn to be jealous of all the fun you guys are having without me. :)

Jenn Whitesides said...

Oh Krystal you poor thing! Reading about your whole family being sick while trying to adjust to a brand new baby gave me high anxiety! I am so impressed that you are keeping up with your blogging being as busy as you are. I'm glad things have calmed down for you (just a little, right?) and hopefully little Carter will adjust for you. It was nice to read that my baby is not the only one that likes to be held ALL the time. I thought I was doing something wrong. Maybe I'll invest in a swing so I can shower too :)