Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee



Last Thursday, we were getting ready to leave for St. George when Kyla came and told me that she had been bitten by a mosquito. Clearly, I could see one bite on her arm. I could also see one on her cheek. No big deal. We left on our trip, stopping in Cedar City on the way for a little Summer Games basketball. After our game, I noticed it was looking a little worse. She had obviously been scratching at it, and her face was starting to swell. I gave her a little Benadryl and took a picture, because I was sure it would be looking much better by the time we got to St. George.

Not so much. It got worse. By Friday morning, her eye was swollen shut. We were beginning to think we needed to take her to Instacare to get checked out. But luckily, I have a NP on speed dial (my BIL) and I kept sending him pictures asking for his advice. He thought she looked okay (considering) and to just keep giving her Benadryl and ice.

Jeff reminded me that while he was on his mission, he got stung by wasps on his temple and swelled up just like Kyla. A shot of epinephrine did nothing to help and the doctor on the mish determined that Jeff just reacts severely to insect bites/stings. I dug through his mission pictures and found one. Here he is, the homeless bum.


We were fairly convinced that Kyla has inherited some of the same reactions. I did laugh when I saw this picture Jeff took of her with the boxing gloves.

By Sunday, she finally looked better. The swelling was almost completely gone. And I was no longer embarrassed to take her out in public. What a weird thing.

In other news...

The Summer Games was a lot of fun. We actually had to win a game this year to get a bronze medal and we just had enough left on Saturday afternoon to do just that. Here is a pic of our team (I really wish Heather had felt good enough to play with us. As it was, she was our best cheerleader and baby watcher).

I love this pic of my family. It's seriously one of my favorite ever. From Damon showing the ball so perfectly, to Kyla's funny pose, to Allie showing cleavage, to McKay trying so hard to suck his thumb, to Carter drinking out of some random Arctic Circle cup he found on the bleachers...I love these crazies so much.


7 comments:

BBC said...

wow! that picture is priceless! really hilarious!

jaesi said...

oh man...im laughing hard at that mission pic! sweet ky ky.

loooove all those high school bball players with their babies :)

Heather B said...

Wish I could have played too! Love these great pics though. Can't believe that's Jeff though! Looks like the guy from Goonies! HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!

Faith Garff said...

ahh poor kayla, glad she isn't still swollen.

Greg and Tammy said...

YIKES. That is a really horrible reaction. Jeff looks about the same as normal. :) Glad she is doing better. Way to go on your bronze!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I totally remember seeing that pict. of Jeff when he sent it from his mission! Glad everyone is finally well and you were able to play with family!

Anonymous said...

oh my! That pic of Jeff is priceless! And I love Kyla's boxing picture--very funny! That will be a great one for her wedding video! ;)