I was feeling like I was getting another UTI and by Memorial Day it had gotten pretty bad. Where I didn't want to go to the bathroom at all because it felt like a hot torch was being lit inside me. So, Tuesday morning I called my doctor's office and went in for a rapid UTI test. The kids were excited to get out of the house and get a dum dum. The test showed there was bacteria so I started on Macrobid for a week. It got a lot better, but never went away.
I started to feel like I was getting mastitis as well, but it went away quickly and didn't cause too much trouble. We had McKay's blessing and life went on.
But the UTI, which had never really gone away, started to get worse again. I tried to call my doctor's office at 2:30 on a Thursday and they were already closed for the weekend. I figured that was a sign that I needed to wait the weekend out and call on Monday. And THEN I got mastitis again. By Saturday, I was feeling miserable. Not only did I have red spots on both sides, they were both extremely painful and I started getting a fever, the chills and body aches. So I took some ibuprofen and tried to sleep it off. Luckily it was the weekend and Jeff took the older kids swimming. Sunday i was feeling a little better, but went home after sacrament meeting because I just wasn't right.
Monday morning I called my now-open-doctor's office and talked to the nurse about what was going on. She called in a prescription of Augmentin for me to take care of both the mastitis and the UTI. Before I picked up the meds, I noticed blood in my urine and that freaked me out a little. But I read that that is common with UTI's and tried not to worry about it. I wasn't in a ton of pain, but was really frustrated that I couldn't seem to get my body back to normal. I started the meds Monday night. Tuesday morning I went in to use the bathroom and had a terrible burning, while feeling like the urine was trapped and couldn't get out. Then something popped out and the pain was relieved. I looked down to find something in the toilet, which I fished out. It was the size of a raisin, and the only thing I thought it could possibly be was a kidney stone. So I googled some images and found that mine looked just like the pics I saw online. I called my doctor's office to make sure they agreed with me (which they did) and finally things started to make sense. Like that time when I was pregnant and ended up in Instacare with terrible back aches and was treated for a UTI (but no bacteria was ever found in my urine). It HAD to have been related to this monster kidney stone that really wasn't all that terrible to pass. And the UTI that wouldn't clear up also made sense, along with the blood in the urine. I'm hoping that's the end to that chapter of my life.
And while I'm grateful to have had antibiotics through all this (the nurse said the last thing I would want is an infection AND a kidney stone), Augmentin is nasty and I hope I never have to take it again. Not only did I have stomach cramps and diarrhea, I think it also affected little McKay, as he seemed more sad than usual when I was on it. PLUS, I got a yeast infection from the dang stuff (common, I guess) and am just now starting to feel better. SHEESH!
7 comments:
Oh, that sounds horrible. Hope you're back to full health soon!
wow! what a rough couple weeks for you! i'm glad you're doing better!
Look at you super woman! Passing a kidney stone and barely noticing the pain?? You must have had some experience with labor pain...
Glad it's all over for you. Hope you start feeling great soon!
Lucky...I have hundreds! It started 3 years ago in September! Four ER visits...A 6 month check up for 2 1/2 years at the urologist. Last one was last week...they're still growing! Too high to blast, and he'd have to do multiple surgeries to get them. Hard to teach 11 year olds when you're in constant pain! I do hqve slight relief now, cuz they're not moving! I do have a great recipe if you ever need a kidney stone cleanse!
Anything U.T. related pretty much sucks, I've dealt with it all, so I've literally felt your pain. :) glad you're feeling better though! We missed your family at church on sunday!
Oh man, I'm sorry. That sounds terrible. Hopefully that will be the end of it!
Loved seeing your family bbal pics. What a fun family.
Poor girl! That is terrible! That is a painful combination! Glad you are doing much better.
Post a Comment