Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Manic Monday

Allie turned eight yesterday. More on that in a bit, but I was just thinking over the craziness of the last couple of days, and thought I should document some of it. In a few years, when I forget what life was like in 2013, I want to be able to remember the kinds of things I was doing.

Monday started like any other day. I got up around 7:30, made breakfast, got the kids ready for school and out the door at 9:00. I was having some ladies (and their kids) come over to exercise together at 9:30, so I hurriedly started some laundry and scrubbed two bathrooms (Monday is still my cleaning day). We exercised from 9:30-10:30 (about) and then I went back to the laundry. While that was going, I went out and helped Jeff in the yard (he's been working out there a lot this week, getting things ready for spring) for about 30 minutes.

Around noon, I made lunch, got Kyla ready for school, and dropped the girls off at 12:30. I then went to Costco and Smith's and bought some much needed food! Our fridge and pantry were embarrassingly empty. I got back around 2:00, unloaded all the groceries, and changed the laundry.  Carter and McKay had climbed up in the closet and pulled out a bunch of games with little pieces, so I spent about 20 minutes cleaning that up. I made up all the beds with clean sheets, and started folding some of the other clean laundry, and was doing that when the kids walked in the door around 3:00. I sent Damon out the door to piano, and finally took a shower.

While Damon was at piano, the girls found a snake slithering across the driveway. Sure enough, there was a little garter snake that everyone thought was the cutest. When Damon got home, they had to go show everyone in the neighborhood before letting it go in an empty lot.


Around 4:00, when I had finished folding the laundry that was clean, I started dinner. The girls and Damon took their own laundry to put away (some of them DID put it away on Monday. It took Kyla until Tuesday night to get hers put away). I knew we would have to eat at Damon's soccer game, so I made a big pan of ham fried rice and packed it up, along with some camping chairs, bowls and spoons, water, and Bexley. We left for Damon's game at 4:45.

We watched Damon's game from 5:30-7:00, where Jeff met up with us, and then we stopped at Lowe's on our way home to pick up some plants for our yard and garden. By the time we got home, the little boys were filthy from their big day of playing, so I threw them in the bath while we waited for Damon and Jeff to get home with our plants. I got them in their pjs, we had a FHE treat, and I put them to bed around 8:00. 

**Sidenote--bedtime for the little boys has been REALLY rough lately. I brush their teeth, read to them, sing songs with them and pray with them. Then I tell them they can have the light on and door open if they will stay in bed. Which, of course, they cannot do. So when they come out of their room, I take them back in, tell them that I'm going to have to lock their door and that if they lay on the floor and kick the door, they will get a spank. I lock them in, Carter lays on the floor and kicks the door. Then I open the door, put him back in bed, and give him one hard spank. This usually happens a couple of times before he will stop kicking the door and go to bed. It's become our "routine." One that I am eager to change.

Jeff and I brushed the other kids' teeth, helped them floss and swish, and prayed with them. We sent them to bed between 8:30-8:45. I still had two loads of laundry left to fold and I was tired! But I got the laundry finished, Jeff and I got in bed and watched some basketball and old episodes of The Walking Dead. It still creeps me the heck out, but we're trying to get into it. I didn't have any trouble falling asleep that night.

Man, I'm tired just thinking about it! When I say "it just never ends," sometimes it's actually true. Tuesday wasn't exactly relaxing...

No comments: