So, McKay is back in diapers. It's better this way. I mean, it's really too much to ask that my last child, who was never forced to even try to pee in the potty before he was three, would be easy to potty train. That's just not the way the world works.
He was very good at peeing in the toilet and he would happily do it anytime I asked. Because he was peeing so often, he was also quite good at staying dry when we had things we had to do. But he never once went on his own. And he never once felt the urge to poop before it was too late. He would try to squeeze some out if I asked him to, but that was the extent of it. He just doesn't have the bodily awareness yet to be able to figure it out.
On Saturday, he had been really good at staying dry, even during the kids' soccer games. When we got home, I had him constantly on the toilet, hoping that he'd be able to figure it out if I was really consistent. He just didn't need to go. Finally, about 5:30, he was playing and I asked him if he wanted to try again (it had only been about 30 minutes since had had tried before). He got a funny look on his face and said, "I need to be changed." He had peed and pooped in his underwear and was happily sitting in it on the floor without a care in the world.
I immediately stuck in him in the shower and told him he needed to clean himself off. And, contrary to everything I promised myself, I was mad at him. I couldn't blame it on my inattention. I couldn't blame it on not trying. I could only blame it on him. He started crying while I yelled at him to scrub the poop off his legs. It was at that very low mothering moment that I decided it just wasn't worth it. He clearly isn't ready, and going back in diapers was the best thing for us all.
Since then, he hasn't complained much at all. A couple of times, he has put underwear on, and complained when I told him he needs a diaper instead. He says, "but I'm three now!" To which I respond, "but you're not ready. When you are ready to start going poop on the toilet, you can wear underwear again." Now he has stopped trying. And we're all fine with it.
I guess he really does want to be my baby for a little while longer.
1 comment:
Aw man! Sorry to hear this! I remember that Ella was the same way at first. She could squeeze out pee any old time but didn't recognize the urge at first. So when she would pee her pants, I wouldn't make a big deal if it. And I let her run around half naked so that when she pooped, it would land in the ground. And then I would get really mad and point at the poop and say NO. no. NO!!! And she would cry and i made her take it to the toilet w/ toilet paper and flush it away. It only took 3 floor incidences and she started holding in her poop. Still wouldn't go on the potty. But she knew for sure she wasn't supposed to let it hit the ground. She's often go when I put a diaper on at bedtime, or a swim diaper for swimming. And it took a few weeks of getting her to finally release it on the toilet when she literally could not hold it in anymore. But that build up urge made it very easy to recognize, and she pooped easy after that without accidents. I don't know if any of this will help or apply to McKay but don't feel bad that your got mad. It can be a very effective teaching tool. He might be more ready than you think. But I have more success letting them be half naked so they really see what's going on when they have to let loose. Good luck!
Post a Comment