There are very few things that I dislike about our house here in Florida, as it is a major upgrade from our condo in Ohio. Having an extra bedroom is great, the bigger kitchen is wonderful, and the dining room, while very impractical in a house of this size, is nice. If there is one thing, though, that I don't like about where we live, it would have to be the garage. I'm sure you're thinking that it's a little strange for a woman to be complaining about the size of the garage, but there is a good reason behind it; that's where we have the washer and dryer.
Our garage is technically built for two cars, but I don't know if two cars have ever actually fit in it. Plus, Damon's bike, the stroller, the lawnmower and other essentials take up the space that the second car would occupy and it's not that big of a deal parking outside here. And even with only the van in the garage, there is barely enough room, length-wise. I can get by, either around the front or around the back, depending on which side has more room, but just barely. And that brings me back to my original thought, which was that the washer and dryer are in the garage and I can barely get around the van with nothing in my hands, much less a basket of clean (or dirty) clothes. It's really been quite humorous to find ways to get past the van, especially when the dirty clothes are spilling out in every direction, which they usually are because I don't do the laundry often enough. I have set the basket the hood of the van, balancing it gently on the slope, and have dashed around behind, hoping that nothing has tipped when I reach the other side. It's a chance I take that has ended badly.
Today, though, I got smart. I parked the van in the driveway, leaving myself the entire garage for traipsing through as I haul my three+ loads out and in. Damon thought it was great, too, and rode his bike around in all the vacated space. I'm just disappointed that it took me this long to figure out the easy solution to my problem. Someday, when we have an actual laundry room and I don't have to worry about things like "the car being in the way," I will probably look back and miss the adventures I've had here. Most likely, I won't, but you never know.
1 comment:
Our garage is the same way. Our car barely fits in so it is good we didn't opt for something bigger like a suburban or something. The garage has been my gripe about our house as well even though I do have a laundry room. It is a pain to have to open the garage door just to get around the car to throw a diaper in the trash. Why wouldn't contracters make them bigger?
Post a Comment