That changed today as I was sitting in the van, waiting outside Damon's school. He has been getting off the bus really upset by the increased rowdiness of kids on the bus in the afternoon and begged me not to make him ride it anymore. Even the ear plugs I gave him to put in his ears didn't seem to help and yesterday the bus driver told me he was crying because it was just too loud. I made a deal with him that if he'll ride the bus in the morning, I will pick him up until Christmas break. He was willing to go for it, and for the first time in months, I sat in the long line of cars, waiting to pick him up.
Allie didn't take a nap today, and I was hoping she might fall asleep while we waited, so she doesn't turn into Monster Allie later this evening. The radio wasn't doing anything to lure her into sleep, and so I slipped in a Christmas cd my sister made for us last year. We were enjoying "Little Drummer Boy" by Ashlee and Jessica Simpson when I started wondering why it has taken me so long to get the music out. I started browsing through the songs, trying to remember what else was on the cd, when I heard the familiar opening of a song that instantly transported me to another time.
Four years ago this month, I was nearly five months pregnant with our second baby when my water broke. I think I knew instantly what had happened, even though I hadn't experienced it with Damon. After consulting with a nurse, we decided to drive to the hospital to find out for sure what was happening. The hospital was 30 minutes away and we listened to a Martina McBride Christmas cd on the way there.
Once we checked in, my fear was confirmed that, in fact, my water had broken, and, while still alive, at 20 weeks, there was no way our baby was going to survive outside the womb. The next week was incredibly emotional, as I tried to connect to this unborn child, saying good-bye. On December 11th, I went into labor and our son, Chance, was born, stillborn. This was a life-changing experience for all of us , but it wasn't until we were driving home from the hospital that I gained an incredible amount of perspective. The same Martina McBride cd was in the car, and we listened again to the song "Do You Hear What I Hear." At the end of the song are the words:
"A child, a child, sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light
he will bring us goodness and light."
It was a powerful moment, contrasting the sadness I felt about losing my little boy with the great joy I felt celebrating the birth of another boy, our Savior. Christmas was extra special that year, as I felt closer to Christ than I ever had before, knowing that because of Him, I would get to see my son again, and have him a part of our family forever.
Four years have passed, two other children have come to our family, and I find that I am rarely sad when I think about Chance, "our angel" as we like to call him. The gospel has stitched up the wounded place in my heart, and life has once again been filled with happiness.
So today, as "Do You Hear What I Hear?" started filling the van, I was unprepared for the surge of emotion that came over me. My heart overflowing, my eyes brimmed with tears, the memories suddenly so fresh and vivid in my mind. Kyla started crying in her seat behind me, and I reached my hand back. Her fingers closed over mine, squeezing my heart a little more, and I enjoyed her tender touch for a long moment.
The song ended. The moment passed. Damon got in and shut the door. We played "Little Drummer Boy" for him on the drive back home, as Allie fell asleep. "This is so better than the bus," he said.
Welcome, Christmas spirit. I couldn't agree more.
20 comments:
What a sweet memory and moment from toady. Thanks so much for sharing.
Yes, thank you so much for sharing that.
Amazing the flood of memories and emotions that music can bring into our lives, especially at this time of year.
Very touching! I too find myself emotional over songs that have shared a special time in my life. That story was very sweet and it definitely puts into perspective our Savior's birth and this special time of year. Thanks for sharing it.
I'm crying just reading it. You are such a strong person and I can tell your testimony has grown through your trials. What a great example.
I'm crying too. You really are amazing and a wonderful example to us all.
Krystal, thank you so much for sharing this touching experience. You are amazing and your testimony helps strengthen everyone else's. Thank you!
SO thankful for The Savior, and eternal families! (((hugs)))
Thank you so much for sharing, I'm crying like a baby. So grateful for good examples like you and for the love of the Savior that can heal us all.
thanks for sharing.
This is so beautiful, Krystal. You totally had me crying.
Krystal. you should write a book. Lots of them. What beautiful paragraphs I just read.
Dido to what everyone else has said. What a touching story - thanks for sharing it. I didn't know that you had had a stillborn. I can't imagine what a life changing experience that would be. Thanks for being such an awesome example and sharing your strength.
Krystal you are defiantly an amazing woman. Thanks for your example. You had me crying too.
Again I have to compliment you on your writing ability. What a special thing to share and you shared it so well. As I am expecting another child, I can't help but think about her often and wonder what she has in store for our family. Thank you for your thoughts.
Thanks for sharing that. What a blessing it is to know that families are forever. And isn't it amazing how music can evoke emotions we weren't expecting?
wow. what a powerful story. isn't it amazing what power music has on us. i have had that same experience where a song holding so many memories is played and catches me off guard so quickly that my emotions just come flowing. isn't the Lord's love for us so comforting? i too, am so grateful for the sacrifice our Savior made for us so that we can see our family and friends again some day.
I remember when this happened, and I am touched by your courage today just as much as I was then. Thanks for sharing such a tender memory.
Krystal, you are amazing. I was touched by your strength when that happened, and didn't even know you. And now am blessed to have you as my friend. Your testimony and being willing to share is a strength to me!
You are such a strong girl. Thanks for your example and for that post.
You truly are an amazing writer, example, and what strength you exude.
Thanks.
Post a Comment