Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Pain in the Grass

Have I ever mentioned how much I detest the grass here in Jacksonville? I know the answer to that is YES, but I am going to mention it again. In my time in Utah and Ohio I falsely came to believe that grass is soft to the touch, and can be walked upon barefoot. I recall many happy afternoons spent laying on the grass (with or without a blanket) absorbing the sun's rays (have I ever mentioned how much I love the sun?), a good book in hand.

In Ohio, I was amazed that, while sprinkler systems were optional, huge fields of beautiful grass grew everywhere, even in front of grocery stores. It was a grass heaven, God's carpet, and . The only problem was that there were so few warm, sunny days of the year, that it was hard to really enjoy it.

You would think that Florida, with an abundance of both rain and sunshine, would hold the key for the best possible vegetation, but I was sorely disappointed when we moved here and found that the city of Jacksonville is nothing more than a swamp covered with loads of beach sand. Indeed, our house is "built upon the sand," and the ground soaks up water like a man dying of thirst. The most popular type of grass is St. Augustine, and it is nothing like the grass I grew up loving. It is coarse, infested with bugs, and requires a great deal of time and attention. Even with vast amounts of TLC, it often withers and dies. People are constantly pulling it all out and starting over, resodding their entire yards.

When we discovered that our kids were not going to be playing carefree in the yard, our motivation for taking care of it quickly dropped out of sight. We watered it occasionally, regarding it as more of a nuisance than anything else. As would be expected, the grass started to die. First one spot turned brown, then another. We started getting letters from our homeowners association telling us we needed to address the issue. We put it off as long as we could, hoping for some lieniency because of Jeff's busy schedule. Finally, in September, after spraying for both bugs and weeds, we decided it was time to replace the lawn in the front yard. I'm sure you will agree that it was time (past time).



Jeff and I spent a couple weeks pulling out the old stuff with a rake and bagging it up to be hauled away. It was hard, back breaking work, and we needed a little help from Jeff's brother, Greg, at the end. But we got the yard to this point, as free from weeds as it was ever going to be.
We only did from the sidewalk to the house, and left the green "weed grass" alone.
$200 of sod came just before we left for our cruise in October. Damon and Kimmy (my sis) thought it would be more fun to play on the pallets than actually do any of the work.
My dad, who thought he was coming here for a vacation, was put to work, and he and I laid the sod while Jeff was at school. I had to go inside after about 2 1/2 hours, but my dad stayed out and finished the rest. What a man.

And here is a picture that I took two days ago. You have to admit that it looks a ton better. It might even look good enough to walk on. But don't be fooled--I won't be spending any time laying on the grass, basking in the sun, the smell of freshly cut grass in my nostrils. Not here in Jacksonville. I'll have to wait until we have our own house in Utah for that. Or maybe visit a Kroger in Columbus.

12 comments:

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

Krystal HOORAY! I finally have found you! Thanks for the invite! Anyways I LOVE THE GRASS! It's beautiful! I am totally jealous that you have some! Brad, at the very end of the year threw some down, but now it's winter it's in spots! Sadly the snow doesn't stick here so I am left looking at it daily! CONGRATS! You're family is beautiful and you look AMAZING as usual! I miss that boy of yours. I am once again in nursery and I don't have any damons there. I miss his cheeks! Anyways give him a big kiss from me!!

Heather B said...

Yay for Dad!

Mariah said...

I don't understand why the grass is so horrible here, it just doesn't make sense. Oh well. Your yard does look great, Good Job!

Lisha said...

Wow! What a lot of work! That's horrible that grass is so tempermental in Florida. It does like fantastic though! BTW, we did the "Elf Yourself" and it's on our blog. I decided it's funnier watching other people's!:)

Sarah said...

Looks great! Jeff really got out of it this time:) I bet you wish you were in class too.

Patti said...

WEIRD. I swear I didn't steal your post, but I just posted about the grass here in FL! Crazy. I even said we were going to have to re-sod!

Yours looks great by the way.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Dang - that sucks about the grass. I would be bummed as well! It looks great!!

lisa h. said...

i know what you mean about the grass, it's scratchy & rough....but hey, you can go lay on the beach with a book at least!

Anonymous said...

Miss that grass!! I'll be calling around the 12th... Thanks for the thoughts. Tell Allie when the sun is out at 8:00 again, I'll be there to walk :) Good luck with the performance... I am sure there will be video for me to enjoy at a later date. Wish I could be there in person. Love you guys!

Lindsay said...

Wow! It looks great! We just replaced our sod too earlier this summer. It was seriously struggling!

I am Laura said...

Looks wonderful. I love the look of a nice lawn. Good work.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

looks awesome - good job