Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Aint it funny how a melody...

I was doing a little vacuuming today, blasting my tunes like always, when a song came on that really took me back. Do you remember the Clint Black song that starts, "Aint it funny how a melody can bring back a memory?" (That wasn't the song, but isn't it so true? I had a friend named Melody and we used to joke that she would arrange to have that song played at her funeral. I wonder whatever happened to her...)

Anyway, I'm not the only one that this happens to: a song comes on and suddenly a truckload of memories are dumped in your mind and all the feelings come tumbling out. And all you can do is stop and remember. That's what happened this morning.

The song-"Please Remember Me" by Tim McGraw

The scenario-I was finishing my freshman year at BYU, and had just broken up with my boyfriend when I first heard this song on the radio. I met Randy at the beginning of the year, but I had just sent my high school sweetheart out on a mission and was determined not to get involved with anyone. That lasted a whole two months. By November, I was having a great time with Randy--he was a premie (pre-missionary) so he was safe, not looking for anything serious, and I was lonely, and he actually liked me! Still, I was just in it for fun, and because it was nice to feel those butterflies again.

We definitely had our ups and downs during the next five months, probably because I didn't put a lot of effort into our relationship, so it wasn't too surprising when we broke up in April. It was a Sunday night after ward prayer, and we were sitting there in silence, probably both anticipating what was coming. I remember it so clearly, and I even used parts of that night in my first attempt at writing a novel. He asked me to go outside with him, but it was raining so we didn't make it far. Instead, we stood by the bike racks and he said, "What's going on with us?"
I answered honestly, "I don't know."
He said, "It's not the same, is it?"
And I said, "No." (you are getting a glimpse at just how fantastic my story is:).
Then we decided it was best if we broke up, which is what I thought I wanted. He told me that he loved me (which he had said before) and I told him I loved him (which I hadn't ever told him) and he left.

That's when I started crying. I had NO IDEA I would be so sad, but I cried all night. The next day (or maybe the day after, who knows for sure?) I heard the song on the radio and knew it was going to be one of those special songs, written just for me. I was on the computer chatting with another boy in our ward when he told me Randy had just come into his room. Randy sat down and we chatted for a minute, and I was telling him about the song when it came on the radio. I told him to turn the radio on and we sat there, in our separate rooms, listening to it. He agreed that it was written just for us.

Over the next five weeks or so (until school was out), we did anything but avoid each other (it was after we broke up that he sat by me at church for the first time), and I started to realize that my feelings for him were much deeper than I had guessed. I saw him at a dance and we ended up dancing four times, each time a little closer. He got his mission call, and invited me to come to Oregon for his farewell in June (and offered to pay for it!).

Despite all my friends' protests that we were just going to get back together, I wasn't so sure. I didn't know if it was a good idea, especially since our relationship seemed so much better when we were broken up (except that he didn't kiss me anymore, of course). After not seeing him for a month, I flew to Oregon for his farewell, and as soon as I saw him waiting for me at the airport, I knew I really did love him, despite my best intentions not to (that was also the moment I realized that I could never have a fling, because my heart insisted on getting involved). We had a great couple of days together and I gave him a copy of "Please Remember Me" to keep (my sister had bought the cd single and I took it to give to him. I hope you're not mad any more, Heather, but if you are I will pay for you to download the song). I can't listen to the song without remembering all of those feelings (good and bad) and wondering if he still thinks about me when he hears it, too.

I have no idea where he is now (I met Jeff in September, when Randy had only been gone three months) and I haven't seen him since that day I flew out of Oregon. I hope he looks back on the time we spent together with good memories. But I really hope he just remembers at all.

So, that was my morning. What are some songs (and stories) that bring back memories for you? I'd love to hear them! Oh, and I created a playlist that should play this song (and only this song) that I will leave up for a while, for your listening pleasure!

9 comments:

jaesi said...

Please Remember Me...brings back the memory...
I was a junior and we were coming back from Havasupai and I got heat stroke and was sooo sick in the back of Mr. ahhhh forget his name (girls basket ball coach) van... There was a HUGE dead snake in the middle of the road that he had to stop and examine....made me barf more....

BBC said...

wow... how funny to hear about your experience with randy! i totally remember you guys dating. :) anyways, i love how songs have the power to bring back so many memories! i definitely have a whole bunch of those!

Morgan said...

This song is definitely one that floods back some of those strong feelings.

Another one that gets me, just as much as "please remember me" is Faith Hill's "There you'll be!" You know, the song from Pearl Harbor. Both songs bring back the memories of my boyfriend from my senior year. The first boy that I truly loved and really knew it for the first time. And looking back, the boy that prepared me for the Corkmeister!

Heather said...

You have a wonderful memory, I'm not surprised that it is easily sparked by songs, and probably certain smells too. Fascinating the links our minds make.

Heather B said...

Funny, Jaesi, I was probably in that van with you and I don't remember any of that...but yes, Krystal, pay up right now! Yeah right! There's nothing better to do with a gift from me then USE IT FOR LOVE DRAMA! Yeah! Great story. I vote you google him. As for my song and memory...I'm thinking about that.

Anonymous said...

The old lady from Titanic was right: Our hearts are a deep ocean of secrets. Mine aren't so much secrets as they are embarrassments, but none the less they are still floating around in my heart and memory. I'll have to take the song/memory challenge and post something on my blog. I'm sure either way, my husband will laugh and think I'm a goofball. :P

The Papa's said...

The first song that came to mind was a song by "Creed"-can't remember which one. It's funny though, the memories I have with this certain someone weren't always good, actually it was probably one of the darkest times in my life. And the songs that I actually would like to remember from good times, I'm actually gonna have to think a bit longer. Funny how that happens!

Sarah said...

My sister called me the other day belting out Mariah Carey's song "Fantasy" ...it instantly took me back to high school car rides to seminary w/ her! Funny...I love that about music too.

TPlayer said...

As your freshman roommate, I claim rights to say "I WAS SO THERE" for all of that! Wow..good ol' Randy. It's true..whatever did happen to him? I bet I could find him, I have a gift for hunting/(*cough cough..STALKING) people. hee hee.

It's funny you should write this post, because I saw the Forgotten Carols last week and totally thought of you and I when I heard "I cry when I take the tree down." There are TONS of songs that remind me of living with you in the dorms. Hello Dolly is just the beginning. (Which by the way-it's coming to the Hale Theatre next year- I think you and I should have a girls' night and go see it together.)