Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008

2008 in Review, just like I did last year

1. What did you do in 2008? Said good-bye to all of our friends in Florida, moved to Utah, missed Jeff's graduation, spent a lot of time in St. George helping my mom as she underwent treatment for breast cancer.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I would give myself a B. I will make more for this year (and they will probably include continuations).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Heather and Tara did. Julie did. All girls!

4. Did anyone close to you die? Again, thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit? Although I did get a passport in 2008, it has no stamps in it. Hopefully soon, though!

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? A home of our own.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I can't recall the exact date, but it was on our drive home from Time Out for Women in Tallahassee in March when my mom called to tell me that she had found a lump in her breast that she was having removed. Of course, we all know that it turned out to be cancer and sent our family on a journey we never planned on having.

8. What was your biggest personal achievement of the year? Moving our family across the country and adjusting to a new life.

9. What was your biggest failure? Can't think of anything. Good sign?

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? The biggest was my ectopic pregnancy, but it resolved itself without incident (however slowly). Hopefully 2009 will bring baby #4 to the Trapnell home!

11. What was the best thing you bought? Jeff's camera. We all have benefited from all the pictures he has taken with it.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Jeff for finishing school!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? All those associated with the collapse of the housing market, specifically those who granted loans to people who were far from being qualified.

14. Where did most of your money go? Loan repayment.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I don't get REALLY excited about very much, so this is a hard question. I would probably say one home after another when it looked like we had found exactly what we wanted. But, as we are still in the basement, obviously I have been disappointed each time. Now I'm trying NOT to get excited about anything until it's final!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? I have a few. "No One" by Alicia Keys, "Low" by Flo-rida, "All American Girl" by Carrie Underwood, "All I Wanna Do" by Sugarland, "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis and "Fall for You" by Secondhand Serenade.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? 
b) thinner or fatter? 
c) richer or poorer? a) happier. b) the same, I think. My clothes fit me the same. c) richer, but by no means rich. We are making money, but we are also paying back loans, so it doesn't actually FEEL like we have money. I am not complaining, though, it's fabulous to have an income!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Sleeping in past 8:00--there is so much I could do in the morning, if only I could pry myself out of bed!

20. Did you fall in love in 2008? It's pathetic, but I would say yes, with Dan and Serena.

21. What was your favorite TV program? The Office, So You Think You Can Dance, Gossip Girl, Scrubs

22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, still the usual suspects (The Lakers, The Florida Gators, The Yankees...)

23. What was the best book you read? East of Eden by John Steinbeck, Midwives by Chris Bohjalian, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and Austenland by Shannon Hale.

24. What was your greatest musical discovery? Rock Band. So much fun!

26. What did you want and not get? A Wii Fit. I'll work on that one. A bike and bike trailer (because where would I store them?).

27. What was your favorite film of this year? I don't see many movies at the theater, but thanks to Redbox, I have seen a few this year. My favorites were probably The Dark Knight and Get Smart (love Steve Carrell).

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 29 (gulp) and bought myself tickets to the Carrie Underwood concert.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A good, "bosom friend" here in Springville. I miss that.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? The same as last year, only more sweatshirts and puffy vests. And warm boots.

31. What kept you sane? Blogging, as always. Facebook and reconnecting with old friends. Starting a new book club with old friends (even though I won't be able to go every month). Jeff's sister next door, and being close to family.

32. When you think about 2008 what sticks out in your mind? Lots of trips with my family. The best probably being our camping trip to Canyonlands and Arches. I never imagined camping and hiking for two days with three little kids could be so much fun.

33. Best moment of 2008? Phone calls to my brother, Eric, on his mission. The whole family "3 ways" each other on our cell phones, so we are all on there together, talking, laughing and crying. So sweet!

2008 was our best year yet, and I'm anxious to see what 2009 has in store for us. Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea, as always! I might have to do this again--it's a good journaling activity! :) And you looked very cute in your puffy vest the last time I saw you. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I am Laura said...

Nice. I am going to use your favorite books as my recommendations for books I can read this year. Good job on all you have done this year and here's to a great 2009!

BBC said...

i love the "fell in love with dan and serena" part! i love that show! i can't wait to watch the new episode tonight!

Heather said...

So glad you blog. I love that I feel like we're still close though far apart. I'll have to try that Reader trick . . .