
While I was at BYU, I didn't have a car. Between my scholarship and Pell grant, I didn't have to work to pay for school (unless you consider getting good grades "working"), but I didn't have enough money to buy a car. And I didn't really need one. I lived close enough to walk to school, my favorite club (Club Tan), and the BYU creamery. My sophomore year I still lived close enough to walk to school, and got to sit shotgun in Jenny's teal Cavalier anytime my roommates and I needed to run to Sam's Club or Macey's. By then, I was dating Jeff, too, and he could give me a ride in his blue and white Bronco. So I didn't see the need to buy a car of my own. I did dream of one, though, and was certain I would look awesome in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes indeed.
When Jeff and I got married, he bought a Honda Accord and we decided to become a one car family for as long as we could. After two years at BYU and three years of dental school at Ohio State, we realized it was finally time to get a second car. Allie was a baby, and we knew we needed something big enough for a family of four. I had my heart set on a Toyota Sequoia. I didn't want to be another Mormon mom in a minivan.
But Jeff talked me out of it. I had to do a lot of driving in Columbus, and he has always hated buying gas, as it just seems like a waste of money. Plus, Sequoias are pretty big and I didn't have the best history keeping our cars dent free and out of accidents. So, reluctantly, I agreed to a minivan. We found a really good deal on a 2001 Toyota Sienna and I got my own car for the first time in my life.
Three years later, I can say that I think we made the right decision. Minivans were made for families. It is so much easier to get kids (and carseats) in and out, without having to heave them up and over seats. They get much better gas mileage than SUV's and we have had very few complaints about ours. I do someday hope to have a newer model (the newer Sienna's have a lot more storage space, like the Odyssey's) with a dvd player built in, but I am hopeful that the van we have now will last us several more years.But I can still dream, right? Someday I won't be hauling a million kids around, and I will be able to get something with a few less seats. And while I'm not exactly looking forward to that day, I do occasionally think about it. I don't think I'll go back to the Jetta, although the new ones are cute little cars. Right now I think I would go with the Toyota Rav 4. I just love the cute, sporty look without being too huge. It's like the Sequoia without the third row of seats. And I'm hoping that by the time I am ready for one, a hybrid (or even all electric) model will be ready.

What would you drive if you didn't have a family to think about?
10 comments:
My dream car is a Lexus RX400 Hybrid. Unfortunately, it's about $30,000 over our price range! Sigh!
I think the new Jettas are really cute too!
Honestly, I love my Honda Accord. We will be upgrading to a minivan once we have another kid hopefully though. I love minivans... haha :)
I have always always wanted a VW bug convertible. I think it stems from the yellow one I saw on the Karate Kid movie...ya know, the one in Mr. Miyagi's yard that he gives to Daniel so he can drive Allie out on dates? Love it.
I think I'd still go for an SUV. I know it'd be a waste of gas, but I'm a tall gal!!! Of course I would take a mercedes, I wouldn't even be picky on what kind!:)
hmm lets see...
An accord or a maxima I think. Nothing to fancy but still nice.
No clue! I am so boring... I always try to answer your questions, but can't think of anything. TV couples... didn't know half of them, but tried to think of something. Oh well.
I think a little Acura. I used to drive a really old one my senior year at BYU, but it broke after being in Columbus almost one year. But I do love Acuras.
In order of least expensive to most: Honda Accord (that may happen soon...story time) and then Lexus anything, and then an Infinity...forgot the model, but I got to drive one a month ago and HOLY FREAKIN COW...AmAHZING
Lexus LS for me. This will be my car as soon as Cameron is old enough to sit in the front seat. Dream car would be a silver Bentley.
I've always wanted a Sequoia, too! Now, I love my minivan, though and Jon is always trying to talk me into getting an SUV. I tell him as soon as the SUV has automatic doors and "trunk" then I'll think about it! It's so nice not to have to open a door when you're carrying a carseat and a two-year old!
Post a Comment