Thursday, June 18, 2009

Shutter Story

When we were looking at buying this house, we knew that there were a few things we would have to buy right away, while most everything else would have to wait for a while. The three necessities were:
1. A refrigerator
2. A washer and dryer
3. Window coverings

We solved the first two problems by shopping at the clearance centers in town and getting some good deals there. The window coverings was a bit trickier of a problem to tackle. We had noticed that the house had at one time had plantation shutters installed, but they had all been removed when the couple had been evicted. We were bummed, because we knew that was a big expense, and also knew that we didn't have the funds to put shutters back in every window they had been in. We started watching the KSL classifieds (much more popular site here in Utah County than Craigslist) to see if, by chance, they would be listed there, but had no luck.

That's when I did some detective work. On the public records page, I found the name of the owners of the house (meaning, the ones who SHOULD have been paying taxes for the past 2 years). I also found out that the woman has a blog. By reading through her old posts, I found out that her newly married son and his wife were the ones who were living in the house. And the daughter in law also has a blog. So, though a little bit of stalking, I found out more than I ever wanted to know about the previous owners of the house (including how their little dogs chewed on the cabinets in the laundry room one Sunday). We passed some of this information on to our realtor, and she contacted the owners (mom and dad) to see if they still had the shutters.

They did. Apparently, they hadn't yet paid them off, and they had been taken out of the home by The Blindman. After some great negotiating on the part of our realtor, they agreed to sell them back to us for 40% of the price they paid just a year ago, which included reinstallation by The Blindman. What a sweet deal for us! Within two hours, they were back up in the house (every window, including bathrooms and the garage) and making the house look so much better. Who needs decorating? We have shutters!

One cute pic I forgot I had. We went fishing at Pine Valley when we were in St. George last month with Tara's family. Kyla loved Kenya. Here she is wiping her mouth with her own shirt.


One funny story from Allie. I told her she was going to be going to a new primary class and meeting new friends. She said, "Good! I hate Noel (a boy in her primary class in Springville)." I had never heard her say anything bad about Noel before, so I asked her, "Why do you hate him?" Her answer? "Because he has cavities." Cavity snob.

20 comments:

TEAM ALOFIPO said...

oh allie cracks me up! and that pic is to darn cute!!

Holly Woolsey said...

Way to go! That's awesome you tracked them down and so worth the time!!! That's awesome!

Heather B said...

That is SO COOL! Blog stalking turns into HUGE SAVINGS! I am so proud to be your sister.

BBC said...

that is some awesome detective work on your part i must say!!! how great!

jaesi said...

but the question is....
will you still be stalking now the shutters are back? :)

Oh Allie would hate Leah. ;)

Morgan said...

I know who to call if I need to get in touch with someone!!! :)

What a great deal!!

By the way, your house is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! I am so happy for you guys.

Jason and Kate said...

There is a purpose for blog stalking! Allie would really hate me if she hates cavities!

The Calico Crew said...

I just got weirded out reading about Tara's "family"! She's that little tom boy right? That used to go on the court and shoot around during breaks? That just made me old!

Holly Wilcox said...

Adorable pic and funny story!
You are awesome to have gotten the shutters back. I would have never thought of that! But, I'm a little freaked out about how you found their blog. Going private is such a pain (for the older family readers).
So, how in the world did you do that? Any other tips about why you should go private?

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Great job on getting the shutters installed! And we are driving up to Utah tomorrow! We will be staying in Heber with Dave's family for about a week but we have next Fri. and Sat. free and would love to meet up. Email me your phone number and we will give you guys a call!

Megan said...

That's so awesome that you were able to track down your shutters through blogs! I'm amazed. and so happy that your house got their beautiful shutters back. I want those if we ever get to build our dream home.

Jacqui said...

What a great idea ... You are amazing! Glad the hard work paid off big time. Was your house a tax lien? Robert and I have started looking into houses and have considered HUDs and tax liens.

Anonymous said...

Tell Allie I'm a teeth snob. I could never date anyone that didn't have perfect teeth and could never get past it...guess that's why I had to marry a dentist. :) We LOVED visiting this week--Gabe has talked about Damon everyday! And beautiful house! :)

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

You rock! I am a blog stalker too ... makes me want to delete my un-used blog in case clients ever google me!

Sarah said...

Nice detective work--I am impressed. I love shutters, they look beautiful.

My kids are cavity snobs too. I showed them one of my silver fillings in prep for a dentist visit and Taylor was disgusted that I must not have brushed my teeth! Cavity snob is right. Sha!

The Leggs said...

What an amazing blessing. I am so going to share the blogstalking story with Mike. He won't think I am as crazy :)

Jenner said...

that is sweet how you found out about the shutters. way to go. btw they look great.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I have been so out of the blogging world for the last month! Your house is AMAZING! I love it! Congrats!

Heather said...

Great job blog-stalker. I'm so happy for you guys.

jakenapril said...

wow. nothing like a good summer haircut. can't wait to see yours!

and way to be a 'blog-stalker'...for all the right reasons, of course. nothing like a good deal. especially when you've just bought a house and everything (good economy or bad) seems expensive.

gorgeous kitchen, by the way. nothing beats a good kitchen with lots of storage.