I realize that what I have to go through when I am pregnant is so small compared to what so many others have to suffer through. The feelings of wanting to curl into a ball and die only last for three months, and then I have relatively few complaints. I have so much respect and admiration for ladies who suffer through months of agony, not having any relief at the end of the first trimester.
That being said, I am so glad this part is (or seems to be) over. It really is hard on the whole family. A few weeks ago, Jeff told the kids, "Your mom is good for nothing right now." Ouch, but unfortunately, probably all too true. I am certainly not myself.
Things that have suffered the past 15 weeks: the house (my energy for cleaning has diminished tremendously, and although I have done my best, it's obvious it wasn't enough), my hygiene (I just can't bring myself to shower every day. There's something about the hot water that makes me feel a lot worse, so many days I have settled for clean clothes, deodorant, and a ponytail), and mealtimes (food in general is so hard for me to be around during the first trimester, but especially raw meat. I'm not exactly sure how we made it through all those dinner times without spending a fortune on takeout).
My sickness has been mostly at night this time, which has its pros and cons. On the good side, I had my best hours in the morning, and I would try to get things done before Jeff got home. But on the bad side, I always felt terrible at night, and did 95% of my throwing up after 7:00 pm. I'm not sure I can eat apples and grapes for a while, they being the two most disgusting things I can recall having to see a second time.
Some foods I have had to avoid: wheat bread (for some reason, I couldn't do it), water (this was a strange aversion for a few weeks that has luckily subsided), anything I made for dinner and had to smell longer than 30 minutes, everything at random, depending on the day, the hour, etc.
Some foods that I have been craving: turkey sandwiches on white bread (I have had at least one, maybe two of these a day for weeks), orange juice (during my waterless phase), pickles, salty things like Chex mix and chips, homemade egg McMuffins (and I don't like eggs, but I had one of these a day for a couple weeks, too), Arby's curly fries (until I threw them up. Not anymore), dry cereal (frosted mini wheats), and tomatoes. Does that mean I'm having a boy or girl?
I also have been a lot more tired than normal (no surprise there), but napping usually makes the nausea worse, so I have refrained unless I couldn't help it. Most days have been just about survival--making it to the time I can get in bed. Like a lot of women, I started taking unisom and B6 at night, and I really think that helped me (at least I felt a lot better in the mornings. Nights were always hard). I would have an hour or two in the morning where I actually felt a little bit normal, until the nausea would settle in and remind me that I was far from normal.
I didn't gain any weight the first 12 weeks (one good thing about being sick), but I am definitely starting to show now, and starting to avoid certain clothes. I haven't been flat out asked if I am pregnant yet at church, but I'm sure there is suspicion. That is, if anyone even knows who I am. But I welcome getting chubby and letting people know, it just means that the worst is behind me and I can now look forward to a few months of endless eating and weight gain with no guilt. I'll just have to work it off eventually anyway.
And finally, because this post has been incredibly boring, here are some pictures from the park last week. I love Allie's outfit in this one--swimsuit, half jacket/shawl, shorts and Sunday shoes. This was a new combo I hadn't seen before.
I thought this spot by the pond was pretty and had the kids pose for a few shots. We'll have to go back with Jeff's good camera (and his photo skills) to take some real pictures.
13 comments:
Kyla looks so pretty in that last picture. Allie's outfit is, once again, a classic. But good color scheme at least, right? I happen to find all that 1st trimester stuff interesting. And your girls will all want to know how sick you were with each kid, once they're pregnant. Bring on the weight gain! Try to catch me this time. 44 lbs with Kalia and 40 with Anna (9 days early). Eat a lot of Lofthouse cookies, that's the key.
:)
I can totally relate. I thought my sickness was going to subside to, but it didn't. Thank Heavens for Zofran! I crave orange juice to, but I have with all of my pregnancies so I don't know whether it means boy or girl. Hope things get better for you! Good thing we mostly forget how we feel or we would only do this once!
Glad you feel better and want a cupcake now and then :)
Allie and Leah would be matchy matchy all the time if they lived by eachother...thats how she rolls too.
mmmm chex mix.
Glad that you're done with your first trimester!! CONGRATS! The kids look darling in those last shots. Too grown up. And uh, could Allie come and be my personal fashion consultant? She sure has an eye...
Snappy Dresser!! I love her outfits and that you take pictures and blog about them. It will pay off in the end...for someone!
there's nothing I enjoy more that seeing my grandkids in these pics!! Thank you for posting, whether you feel good or not. You are an incredible mother and wife, and "good for somethin" all the time. Jeff probably was feeling sex deprived :)
Yea, let them try creating a body for a special spirit some time, no easy task!!!!
PS
Thinking back on something you said in a post from July......Did I know anything about this "sleepover" at Genis' house?........I thought I banned sleepovers!!!
Hopefully you are turning the corner! I hear you on the chex mix. For some reason I can eat that with every pregnancy. Everything else is a crap shoot every time. I had the same problem with napping. I sorta found a solution, because I couldn't get through the day without one. I slept sitting up. Well kinda sitting between the cushions on the couch with my legs on the ottoman. I was tired enought to fall asleep this way, and for some reason it mananged to keep me a little less nauseous. Try it!
You and I are in the same boat. I must admit that if yours ends after 3 months I am very jealous. I am headed into my 18th week still puking nightly. Mike hasn't said it, but I know he feels that I am good for nothing most of the time. It's true. I am glad to hear that you do clean clothes, deodorant, and a pony tail some days too. Sometimes to shower is just too much! Hope this finds you feeling better!
Oh, Krystal--I know how you feel! My last pregnancy about did me and my family in. I couldn't even keep my meds down and they wanted to hook me up to IVs, etc. My doctor told me to sip popsicle juice when I couldn't keep anything down. At least it tasted ok the second time around! :) (ok, I know--sick.) Can't wait until you're feeling better--we need to go out to dinner again!
I'm so sorry that you have been feeling so terrible and hope it really subsides soon so that we can get together. I've really missed seeing you especially at book club! I guess the only consolation with being sick (and the no weight gain which would be awesome) is that you know your body is working hard to grow your precious little baby and creating all those wonderful, sickening hormones. I rarely have any symptoms during my first trimester which means I get to spend the first 10 weeks (until the doctors appointment) worrying that I am going to have another miscarriage. It's torture of its own AND I gain weight from day one--stinky! What we go through to get these babies here--good thing it's worth it, right?
SO GLAD THOSE DAYS ARE DONE FOR NOW!!! Reading this post reminded me of the way I was this time last year. "Good for nothing" is right!!! SOOOOO good for nothing. Poor husbands and kids that have to suffer for it. Hope it stays away!!
During my last pregnancy, water made me sick too up until about week 30...glad you are feeling better. Allie's outfits always make me smile!
Post a Comment