Monday, November 16, 2009

Thirty, Fatty, and Thrifting


I never really understood why Jennifer Garner's character in the movie Thirteen Going on Thirty wanted to be thirty, anyway. I mean, as a 13 year old, I probably would have picked 21. But for some reason, she wanted to be "thirty, flirty and thriving." Instead, today, I feel "thirty, fatty and thrifting."

If I had had any control over when this baby was coming, I probably would have realized that being 6 months pregnant the day I turned 30 wasn't the best possible way to feel good about myself. I mean, yes, I do have boobs again, which is ever so fun, but it's not as fun to get big in other places (ie, my thighs and belly). But because this baby boy decided when he was ready to come to our family, I had no control over that. So on my 30th birthday, I was definitely a fatty.

As for the thrifting, I've been feeling a little stressed about Christmas this year. I am sure I'm not alone. We knew when we bought this house that things were going to be tight for a while, and we willingly decided it was worth it. And I know deep in my heart that we'll find a way to do everything we need to do to make this a great Christmas for the kids (despite Jeff's assertion that our Christmas budget is, "zero."). Still, I feel the stress. Which makes it a tad bit difficult to really enjoy any money spent on me for my birthday.

But it was a fun weekend, starting with a night out with Jeff's brothers, sister and their significant others (minus Noel, Brian and Susan, who were missed). Jeff talked me into going to see 2012, so at least it wasn't my idea. It was fun to be all together to laugh at some of the more ridiculous moments. And there were plenty of those. No, the movie really wasn't THAT bad, but it certainly wasn't my favorite.

Sunday, Jeff got up with the kids and made me a gourmet birthday cake. If you know Jeff, you are probably picking your jaw up off the floor right now, because he doesn't cook. Ever. So I appreciated the effort (and the cake was really yummy) more because I know he was doing it for me. We had dinner at my aunt's house last night, and the kids promptly blew my 8 candles out (4 on each cake) before I even had a chance to make a wish. I'm not sure how 8 candles equals 30 years either. Oh well.

On Thursday, I am heading to the New Moon preview with my aunt and cousins, and I am so excited. Am I now officially too old for that? The answer to that, of course, is no. You're never too old for Edward. He's immortal. :)

8 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Happy bday! Oprah says 30 is the new 20. So enjoy it! I'm going Thurs night too! With my friend, my sis's, and mom! Can't wait!

jaesi said...

by Thursday night...do you mean midnight? I did that last year and swore to never again. any movie. ever.

You most definitely are not a fatty.
duh.

Heather said...

Happy birthday! I'm soon to follow, turning thirty in May. We are getting old.

Heather B said...

Yay for Jeff cooking! And I wish I was going to the movie with you guys. SO bad. Jacob's looking pretty hot these days!

Greg and Tammy said...

Happy Birthday!! You look great to me! No fatty about it. Glad you enjoyed a fun weekend... although Emily Davis and I have decided that Sunday birthday are stupid. Hope yours was better than ours. :)

TPlayer said...

I'm a Jacob fan...and then I found out the actoris 17 yrs old and I felt really creepy. Ah

Denise said...

great post! I also liked your previous post with all the pictures. Happy Birthday!

april said...

Happiest birthday wishes Krystal!!! And thirty? That's nothing. You're still just a young whipper snapper! I'm glad you had a nice day!