And it was a bit of a rude awakening as I got older and realized that a lot of people can do things I can't do. And a lot of people can do the same things I CAN do, only they can do it better. It was hard for me to accept that not everyone was going to like me, and certainly not everyone was going to think I was all that great. A brutal life lesson.
As an adult, I still think I harbor a little of that belief that I can do anything, and I can do it well. I watch design shows on tv and think, I could do that, when the reality is I could NEVER do that. And sometimes I get myself in trouble when I try to do things that seem so easy, yet turn out to be much more difficult.
The perfect example was at the beginning of the summer when the kids wanted to start riding their bikes. Because of all the thorns that litter our neighborhood, there wasn't a working tire on any of their bikes and I decided to remedy that. I could have waited for Jeff to get home from work and do things the right way, but there were those hours after school when the kids could be riding and I could be sitting on the couch enjoying a glass of lemonade the way you can only when there are no children in the house. So I went to the store, bought new tubes for the bikes, as well as the green globby stuff that claims to fix holes in tires, and went at it. I followed the directions, making sure to keep myself in a well-ventilated area, as I was (as always) pregnant and not anxious to expose my tender fetus to harmful chemicals. All was going smoothly, until it was time to put the tubes back on the bikes. That is where I ran into problems. And in trying to "fix" the broken bikes, I actually compounded the problem. The screwdriver I was using to try to pry the tires back into place punctured my new tubes, and no green globby stuff can seal holes the size of pennies.
Jeff rolled his eyes when he got home, and told me, in effect, that I need to stop doing things I can't actually do and let him handle it. Apparently, I never fully accepted the fact that I can't do everything. Brutal lesson repeated.
I kept all this in mind last week when I decided I needed to use the 101 tomatoes we have ripening in our basement, the remnants of our mildly successful garden this year, and can salsa. But instead of asking someone with any experience for help, I was confident that I could manage. I mean, I had spent several minutes researching on the internet. How hard could it be?
Contrary to where you think this story is headed, things actually went very well. Maybe that's because canning really isn't as scary as it seems, and maybe everyone can do it without problem. But with the help of good-looking assistants like this one... (his job was to clean anything that fell on the floor. He's good at this job)
...I was able to take the tomatoes from this stage...(tomatoes all peeled after a quick bath in boiling water and a soak in ice water)
...to this without much difficulty at all.
The hard part was just the amount of work it took to can 8 pints of salsa. But the results were well worth it and I'm sure I will be repeating this process soon with the other 101 tomatoes still ripening in the basement.
It's probably experiences like these that keep me from learning the brutal lessons, and keep me trying things that I may or may not be successful doing. These small successes fuel the fire, and keep me believing that I CAN do anything I set my mind to...
...and then there is the rest of the time. The last week or so has been a major reality check for me, and probably not for the better. We have been dealing with one sickness after another (nothing major, just alternating stomach viruses with cold viruses) and no one has been 100% in our home. It's amazing how much a little sickness (multiplied by 4 or 5) can really add to the normal stress I experience all the time. Add to that the two incidents this week where I failed to do something I had committed to, thus letting down people I really care about, and I have really started feeling discouraged.
I mean, I have been able to convince myself that I'll be able to handle 5 kids, two of which will be, essentially, still babies. But after this week, I have been having serious doubts. I have started really noticing all the things I just can't seem to do--I can't keep up with the messes, I don't have the energy to do everything I want to do with the kids, and yet I'm supposed to believe that I'll be able to do it when we have one more? I don't see how.
Deep down, I know that everything is going to be alright. Things will work out. The people I have let down will forgive me and we'll move on. The kids are going to get what they need and the messes will, eventually, get cleaned up. But in the short term, it's hard not to feel discouraged. I am wishing I was more like my 10-year old self, because I'm pretty sure she would still feel like she can do it. She felt like she could do anything.
It's probably experiences like these that keep me from learning the brutal lessons, and keep me trying things that I may or may not be successful doing. These small successes fuel the fire, and keep me believing that I CAN do anything I set my mind to...
...and then there is the rest of the time. The last week or so has been a major reality check for me, and probably not for the better. We have been dealing with one sickness after another (nothing major, just alternating stomach viruses with cold viruses) and no one has been 100% in our home. It's amazing how much a little sickness (multiplied by 4 or 5) can really add to the normal stress I experience all the time. Add to that the two incidents this week where I failed to do something I had committed to, thus letting down people I really care about, and I have really started feeling discouraged.
I mean, I have been able to convince myself that I'll be able to handle 5 kids, two of which will be, essentially, still babies. But after this week, I have been having serious doubts. I have started really noticing all the things I just can't seem to do--I can't keep up with the messes, I don't have the energy to do everything I want to do with the kids, and yet I'm supposed to believe that I'll be able to do it when we have one more? I don't see how.
Deep down, I know that everything is going to be alright. Things will work out. The people I have let down will forgive me and we'll move on. The kids are going to get what they need and the messes will, eventually, get cleaned up. But in the short term, it's hard not to feel discouraged. I am wishing I was more like my 10-year old self, because I'm pretty sure she would still feel like she can do it. She felt like she could do anything.
7 comments:
You are right it will all work out. As you know, it is different when you are not pregnant. And even if you still have things that aren't getting done, just remember that all you are expected to do at this moment is be a mom. The rest (including other people) can wait.
"I mean, I had spent several minutes researching on the internet"
- that really made me laugh. I do the same thing. Somehow that minute of researching also makes me feel like I can do anything. From fixing toilets to diagnosing car problems. And sometimes it really does work.
I'll come over with a big bag of tortilla chips. :) Impressed.
krystal! you're going to do just great! if anyone can handle 5 kids, it's you!
For the record, I have much the same attitude when it comes to "things" but I realized there are just somethings I am better at watching other people do because I'd look foolish attempting them. I'd be glad to help with the next bike tires. I've had my fair share of experience...but I HATE the back tires! BLEH! As far as the 5 kid thing--YOU ARE PREGO, GIRL!! You're not supposed to be able to keep up...or have you forgotten that post baby energy that comes along (and the help that comes with a new baby from family and friends).
You are fabulous Krystal and you can always say (at least to me) "anything you can do I can do better" and it won't make me feel bad (because it's true)
Holy heck, did I read your blog at the right time! I haven't checked blogs in FOREVER.
Not 10 minutes ago did I finally get the last of the children from Gracey's small birthday party out of my house!! The whole time I thought, "I am not cut out for this!" Or today when my tire went flat and I wasn't strong enough to loosen the lugnuts. That has pretty much been my natural motto the last month or so.
Thanks for posting this. I can so relate.
Oh my goodness Krystal! We're due a week apart! I'm so glad I decided to forgo the laundry for a few minutes to check your blog. Congratulations, I'm so excited for you guys. We might actually get to coordinate a cruise together after all! (If we can both find someone to watch our kids...having an extra one and all!) And don't worry, if anyone is capable of handling 5 kiddos, it's you.
DON'T ever believe you can't do everything. I 100% believe everyone should believe that. Truth be told I would rather have the optimistic attitude you have then a pessimistic attitude that SO many have. So what if you try and fail, don't we all? That is part of life and I believe it will only make you smarter, stronger.
Post a Comment