After I had Carter, Jeff told me he was ready to be done having kids. He said four kids was more than enough for him, and he didn't feel the need to have any more. For the first time, I thought and prayed long and hard about whether or not our family was complete, and I just wasn't convinced. Even when bribed with things like a boob job and a new car if I wouldn't have any more kids (he was kidding. I think.), I just felt like there was one more waiting to come to our family. But not any time soon.
Here are some of the reasons why I felt like we should have one more kid:
1. I have always wanted a little blondie, and our kids seem to get lighter and lighter each time. Maybe #5 would be a towhead.
2. Carter needs a buddy. While Kyla loves and adores him to the point of smothering, she will always want to be doing what Allie is doing. And brother or sister, I would love Carter to have a friend close in age.
3. While I have had my fair share of experiences with pregnancy, I'm sure there are a few things I haven't yet to experience. I would like to give myself every opportunity available to me. Perhaps a C-section would be fun.
4. We have 7 seats in the van. Someone needs to fill that last seat.
5. With two boys and two girls (on earth, that is), we need someone to break the tie, thus giving either Jeff or I the majority when votes are cast.
With the exception of #2, this list is a complete joke, and my decision that I wanted one more baby was in no way based on any of these factors. It was just a general feeling that our family wasn't yet complete.
Jeff wasn't too hard to convince. He just wanted to do it sooner rather than later. He has always had the number 35 in his head as the age HE wanted to be done having kids. And he just turned 34. So his biological clock was apparently ticking.
And so I agreed to go off birth control, just to let my body adjust and get regular again. I was confident that it would be at least six months before we were able to get pregnant (based on past experience--after Chance and after my ectopic pregnancy it took at least 6 months of trying to get pregnant again. My body typically needs a little bit of time to recover).
I'm sure you know what's coming next. But I was shocked to find out that the very first month of FAILING TO PREVENT (not TRYING), I got pregnant. And began the difficult task of living in denial while wanting to puke my guts out all the live long day.
I don't know why, but I didn't want anyone to know (other than my brother and my next door neighbor--a girl needs a few confidants when scheduling doctor's appointments). And so we didn't tell anyone. I thought maybe after the first trimester, I would feel like it. But I really didn't. And so we didn't. It wasn't until a few weeks ago, when it became much harder to conceal physically, did I break the news to my family. But not to my friends via the Blogger world. I did write a couple of posts that I saved as drafts, just for my own record, which I will now publish. If you care to, you can read them HERE and HERE.
Today, though, I decided (as did my sister, who is also a private blogger) it was time to share. I had my 20 week ultrasound today. And it's a little hard to live in denial when you actually see what has been causing the nausea, the weight gain, the heartburn (already?) and the physical pain for the last 4 months. And now that I have passed from denial to acceptance, I can tell you that I'm equal parts excited and terrified.
Oh, and I am definitely feeling like this is it for us. Everyone told me I would just know when it was time. And I think this is it. Maybe that's why I didn't want everyone to know just yet. I wanted to keep it to myself, selfishly, for just a little while.
24 comments:
good for you! I don't know if i would be able to stand not know what it was. but it will be really fun to see what pops out!
What wonderful news! Huge congrats to your whole family. Sorry about the puking your guts out thing. I cannot believe you're over halfway! And good for you not peeking.
congrats krystal!!!! you are one brave woman!!! hope it's a little boy for carter!
you titled it correctly! I would never have guessed that one coming! Congrats!! I'm beginning to wonder if we're meant to have another one. We've never had to "try" too hard before. In the mean time I suppose will hide my jealously {only slightly jealous when you talk about being sick and all} and tell you CONGRATS! Are you sure you're done after this one? You could get another vehicle??
AND a boob job? Just PRETEND that you want another kid after this (right away) and it will freak Jeff out enough to give you both those wonderful gifts. :) hahaha! I love that little ultrasound pic!!! Wish I could call your doctor and find out what you're having! I promise I wouldn't give it away!
Congratulations Krystal!! That is great news. I think 5 is a perfect number. It's a big family, but you can all fit in a van. I can't wait to hear what you're having. Congrats again!
Your reasons were VERY valid (especially #3 and 4) haha.
That is WONDERFUL news!!!
YOU TOO!!! Everyone has been "coming out of the closet" lately.
Congrats Trapnells and heres to a little blondie running around in 2011!
Wow congrats!!!!! Hey, at least you'll get temporary big boobies with the new baby, right? :) I am so happy for you!
Congrats! Glad everything is going okay (with all the scares).
Congratulations! Hope you are feeling well quickly. We are expecting a girl in late Feb.:)
I agree with Jaesi... everyone is making announcements! Congrats! Can't wait to see that little toe head!
Congratulations! You are brave! I am still gearing up for number 4. Can't quite take the plunge yet.:)
CONGRATULATIONS!! Really happy for you.
Woohooo! CONGRATS! I've heard several women close to the Lord know when their family is complete! Maybe your mom might get to hit a playoff game with me!!! :)
wow congratulations! You are such an amazing mom! This is a lucky little one!
wow congratulations! You are such an amazing mom! This is a lucky little one!
YOu and Heather, you sly girls, you!
Only you could hide it this long. After like 7 weeks, i was like a plump bum.....lol...
COngrats! You are wonder woman!
Krystal...I was the same way...knowing there was a 5th but not wanting one quite so soon and was a bit in shock when I found out I was pregnant! I hope you will start feeling better. Congrats!!
Congrats! That is exciting that you and Heather will have kids together. I am proud of both of you for keeping the secret so long. I bet your mom is thrilled! She is such a wonderful woman and I just love her!!!
Congratulations, Krystal! This little spirit must have really wanted to come to your family! Hope you get to feeling a lot better soon. How exciting to wait to find out the gender!
My mom told me a while ago that you were pregnant but I'm just now getting around to reading your post. I can't believe that you, me and Heather are all due so close together. I totally relate to so many of the feelings you have had-on this being the last one and also not wanting to tell anyone the news. My ultrasound is in 10 days and I will for sure be finding out what I'm having!
yay for you! I think it is amazing that you could go 20 weeks and NOT SHOW!! And how fun to wait to find out the gender. You are an awesome mom. ..this little one is lucky to be joining your family!
What great news! We are thrilled for you and love to see all the blog updates. I hope everything goes well with the remainder of the pregnancy. We love you guys!
Post a Comment