Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Perspective

Reliving 9/11 over the weekend with my family was a good experience. Damon wasn't born when we were attacked 10 years ago, but he couldn't get enough of the coverage. He watched the towers get hit, and then collapse, dozens of times. And watching all the footage brought back a lot of memories for me as well, especially once we turned on "Where Were You (when the world stopped turning)?" by Alan Jackson and danced in our living room. Ten years ago, we all reexamined our priorities and put those things that were most important first in our lives. And this week, I was reminded again that my perspective on life can sometimes get a little skewed.

I focus too much on all the hard things, the bad things, and not enough of how blessed that I am. And so I have been mentally composing a list of all the things I would typically complain about, realizing that all these things are really blessings.

The fact that we go through so much toilet paper means that 5 of the 7 of us are potty-trained.

My flabby stomach and chunky thighs mean that I have been able to carry 5 babies inside of me.

All the rooms in my house that I am constantly having to clean mean that we have plenty of space to live and grow.

The food I scrub off the table and chairs means we have enough to eat.

The constant chaos I am surrounded by means I am never lonely.

The grass that needs to be mowed every week means that it's not winter and the ground isn't covered in snow.

The fact that McKay had a fever of 101.2 last night doesn't worry me, because he isn't tiny enough for that to be a concern.

All the clothes I own that don't fit (either too big or too small) mean that the baby weight from the last two years is coming off (and that I need to keep working on it).

The fact that I have to make lunch for Jeff, as well as the kids, means that he wants to come home for lunch instead of spending it with someone else.

The fact that the girls are still giggling and laughing in their rooms at 10:00 pm means that they love each other and like being together.

All the homework I have to nag the kids about means that they are back in school.

The fact that I have to carry two heavy boys around most everywhere means that they are close enough to one day be best of friends.


What kinds of things are you thankful for, that you might not have realized were blessings before?

4 comments:

Heather said...

Although I'm angry we can't get out of our rental lease so I'll have to pay rent and mortgage, I'm grateful for that complication not to put us into financial ruin or have to abandon the dream house.

great post as always Krystal.

Lori said...

great post Krystal! thanks for the reminders :)

Laurie said...

Love this post. I have been thinking very similar thoughts of late and need to change my perspective. Thanks for sharing a well written reminder to look on the bright side of things.

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

This is such a thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing!