Friday, December 09, 2011

Bed time!

When we moved in with Jeff's parents in 2008, we used the bedroom set that was already in their basement. It had belonged to Jeff's great aunt (who didn't have any children) and, although old, was in great condition. I knew the mattress was old, too, and ordered a 3 inch memory foam for my side of the bed to make it tolerable.

When we moved into our new house, his parents let us take the bedroom set because every last cent (and then some) we owned went into the house. We were very grateful. And I continued to sleep 3 inches higher than Jeff (except for those months when I slept in the guest room with my babies, Carter and McKay. Then I slept on my memory foam heaven queen bed).

When I finally moved back into our bedroom when McKay was about four months old, I had a hard time adjusting back to the old mattress. Even with my memory foam, I had a terrible time falling asleep and woke up stiff every morning. I took the memory foam off, just to see what it was like, and it was awful. I mentioned to Jeff what a terrible time I was having, and my subliminal messages started working. He started sleeping terribly, too, and agreed that we really needed a new mattress.

We got started looking, and Jeff decided he wanted to get a new bedroom set, especially since a lot of the deals were when you bought an entire set, not just a mattress and/or bed. Although we found some we liked, there was nothing really great quality in our price range. Furniture is expensive, especially when you want solid wood and not pressed wood! I would have been happy just to get a new mattress for our bed, but Jeff didn't love the headboard and wanted something else. We decided to try to find something that would match the existing furniture we had and just look for a new bed.

We looked and looked and looked and found a few that we thought matched well enough that they would work. And then we walked into Bassett Furniture. There they had a bed that was 50% off, matched almost perfectly, and was solid wood. It was perfect. It was calling our name. And we ordered it. They came and set it up while we were in Hawaii and all we had to do was order our mattress when we got home. 

When I pulled the old bed apart, I realized just how dire our situation had become. We were not sleeping on a king size mattress, we were sleeping on two twin mattresses laying sideways! Not only that, the mattresses were WAAAAY older than I even imagined. When I looked closely, I could see  the year 1926 on the tag. So, we had been sleeping on mattresses from the late 20's or early 30's. Oh, and they were bright pink.

 

You can see the two twin mattresses here. The kids have since turned them into their fort in the basement. Beautiful, yes?


I talked Jeff into the softest mattress I could (BeautyRest pillow top) and it was here November 1st. And although I have no before pic of our bed, believe me, this is a great improvement.




It's hard to tell just how big it is in this pic, but here's a little comparison. It's so tall that it took Carter about a month to realize that he could climb up on his own. 



To solve the problem of old furniture, we got some new hardware for the dressers/night stands.

Before:



After. Much nicer. And looks much newer.


This is the before of my dresser:


And the after of Jeff's dresser. Just a simple clean line. And I love it.


I have to add that I am still trying to adjust to the new mattress. It is super soft and I have no problem falling asleep, but I still wake up a little stiff. That bums me out big time. But hopefully it's just a transition time and I can figure out how to sleep so that I love it as much as I want to!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the hardware! I love how little things like that can give a whole new look to a piece of furniture. And I can't believe how OLD your mattresses were! Wow! You guys definitely deserve a nice, new bed! Congratulations! :)