Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ringing in the New Year

This year, we had the good fortune of being chosen to host the Trapnell New Year's Eve party. Chris and Sheri, who have had the party at their house for the past six years, chose to host a 4th of July party at their house, and we were picked by Jeff's mom to be the hosts this year.

We knew there were going to be a lot of people (read:children), so we decided to plan a little something for them. We came up with 9 "Minute to Win it" games and set them up in our basement. The plan was to keep the kids occupied so that the adults could play Bunco in peace. And we went to a lot of work to get everything ready. 

We started a bit late (8:00 by the time everyone was here and ready to eat), but everything went smoothly. We moved all the furniture out of the family room and set up tables and chairs. 

After eating, the kids had a great time playing the games (I wish I had taken some pictures, it was pretty fun), and then Jeff had set up a screen and some chairs so they had a mini movie theater to watch Kung Fu Panda 2. All of that went very well.  But none of the adults wanted to play our silly game. All they wanted to do (and by "they" I mean a select few who are the leaders of the group) was sit around and tell the same stories we have heard at every family function for the past 10 years. 

I was bugged. I was also hormonal, truth be told, which didn't help anything. But I had gone to a lot of work to come up with activities to keep the kids occupied so that we adults could do something fun. And sitting around listening to stories I could tell myself was NOT my idea of a good time. 

Now with some distance, I'm glad everyone had fun. Even if I didn't. And I'm sure we'll have the party here next year and I'll lower my expectations.

Here are a few pics from the night.








Yeah, it does look like the kids had a good time. And I know they did. I just wish I had, too.

3 comments:

TEAM ALOFIPO said...

bummer...i guess they wouldn't have gone for the dance 2 on the wii.....bring your games here when you come we will stay up late playing them!!!

Heather said...

dang. better luck next year. I would've totally played with you.

Lana said...

We still hear stories of the Trapnell New Year's party from Porter's parents. How they spent the entire night laughing and came home with their stomach muscles hurting. Maybe it's just too hard to keep that going forever. :) But next year we all just need to come invade your house and then there will be crazy shenanigans and laughing all around. :)