Let me start by saying that Damon is like me in so many ways. Granted, there are lots of things about him that I don't fully understand, or relate to, but there are so many things about him that remind me of myself. We both want to be the best at everything. As an adult, I have had many years to learn that I'm not going to excel at everything, and I'm okay with that. But when I was 9, like Damon is, I hadn't learned that yet.
Last year, when Damon had to make a car for the Pinewood Derby, Jeff did most of the work. Damon picked the basic design, but Jeff basically finished it for him. This year, though, we told Damon it was going to be his responsibility to do most of the work. Jeff could help him with some of the most difficult things, but he was going to do it himself. He ended up with a basic car that weighed exactly 5 ounces. And he was excited about it.
But he found out that it wasn't the fastest car at the derby. It also wasn't the slowest. It was somewhere right in the middle. And unlike last year, there were trophies for the first three cars (and now that we combine with two other wards for scouts, there were also a LOT more boys with cars). He also dropped his car and messed up his wheels just before it was his turn to race, which didn't help matters.
But I could tell by the night's end that he was feeling discouraged. He didn't feel like talking about his car, or things he could do in the future to make a faster car next year. He didn't want to talk about it at all.
I related to that all too well. That's exactly how I would have acted when I was his age, too. When we got home, I went into his room with him and started telling him that. I told him how I always wanted to be the best at anything, and how I would cry if someone beat me at something. I also told him that I know it's okay to feel sad for a while. It's okay to be disappointed. But that by morning, I expected him to put it behind him and not feel bad anymore. I didn't want him to stay down for long. And to his credit, he was feeling better by the next morning.
***
The morning of the 15th, I woke up and couldn't find my purse. Jeff and I had been out the night before for Valentine's Day, and I knew I had had my arms full of stuff when we had come inside. I wondered if maybe I had left my purse in his car, so I texted him at work. He went and checked. No purse. I continued to look and look and called the only two places I could have possibly left it the night before--Cafe Rio and the grocery store we stopped at on our way home. When I finally talked to the manager of Cafe Rio, he took my information and told me that an employee had thought they had seen a purse, but it was nowhere to be found. He promised me they would do an investigation (and check the security tapes) to see what they could do.
I hung up feeling so stupid. I knew that the simple act of leaving my purse behind was going to be hard to fix. My wallet and my keys were gone (luckily I still had my phone!). I felt sick to my stomach, and I instantly started beating myself up over it. I felt like I was a bad person, who was always screwing up. But it didn't take me long to realize that all those negative feelings were not productive at all. And even more so, I recognized them as untrue. While I make mistakes, I'm not a bad person. I'm not worthless. And a loving Father in Heaven would never want me to feel that way about myself.
I have learned that discouragement is one of the tools Satan tries to use against me. I am quick to get down on myself and not quick to forgive my own shortcomings. But I have had to learn to love myself anyway. I can remind myself that I am a good person, and and not expected to be perfect yet. I can learn from my mistakes, and hopefully not repeat them, and become better. I don't have to let Satan have any power over me.
I began to feel better. And even when I had to call and cancel the credit cards and go through the process of getting new ones, and a new driver's license and getting the house rekeyed, I just reminded myself that I am still learning, and there was no sense in getting down on myself.
The purse still hasn't been found. And while our credit cards were never used, I am still upset about the $50 I lost and the $100 or so in gift cards that were in my wallet. And while those things won't be able to be replaced, someone from HR at Cafe Rio called and said they would like to buy me a new purse. He told me to go get something that I felt could replace it (it was a hand-me-down Coach bag from my SIL), and to call him and he'd get me a check. So, even though this has been a costly mistake, I still felt as though it was a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father letting me know that He cared about me.
Hopefully that is another lesson I can share with Damon (and all my kids) when they need to hear it most.
8 comments:
Ahh sorry about your purse that really stinks. But that was nice of the cafe rio guy to offer and buy you a new one.
Damon good work your car looked great!
what a great post. such a great reminder to me. we're always telling our kids things like this and we forget that they also apply to us. thanks so much.
also, wow on cafe rio! that's some great customer service.
That is really cool of Cafe Rio to replace it. Super nice. I left my purse at church one Sunday and went back to check that night--it wasn't in the RS room anymore. I was all nervous, but the next morning we got a key to the library and found it in there. I was SO relieved, and it made me realize that we need to have extra keys to the house and my car and the mailbox available. At least then we'd be a little more prepared. So sad to not have found yours!
On a different note, Tatum is really similar to Damon when she doesn't do well. Swim meets this summer were rough because, even though she was getting 2nd or 3rd place, it was always finishing after her cousin. And it was hard to not be as fast. She had big dramatic crying sessions over wanting to quit and being terrible at everything. We had to talk and talk and talk about that one! I'm interested to see how she does this summer...
I always panic like crazy when I can't find my purse! Your story seriously gave me palpitations. I do the exact same thing--get mad at myself for being unorganized or for not paying attention. It just goes to show how in love you are to be enjoying your Valentine's date so much that you walk out with no purse. :)
Having known you when you were 9 yrs old, I could relate to your whole post. I am getting choked up just thinking about what an awesome person you are and have always been. I look forward to the day when we have our pre mortal life revealed to us, I think I will be overwhelmed with what I learn about my kids.
Thank you for taking the time to be so honest about how you felt.
You told me about the purse but didn't mention how down you felt about yourself.
I can relate, but that is one thing that I didn't realize that you did. You hide it well.
I love you and I think you are the best.
I felt anxiety to think that Damon dropped his car and bent the wheels. I guess we are all related.
Love your post! I think we can all relate! I am the same way and so is my oldest daughter. Why do we think we have to be so perfect? That's a great lesson to learn and to teach our children. Thanks for sharing! :)
I am so sorry about that. Losing a purse is the pits. Congrats on the PW Derby. I think Rick will be helping a lot this first year . . .
I know a little bit how you feel losing your purse since I thought my wallet was lost/stolen a few weeks ago. Major anxiety for me and I can learn a few lessons about discouragement too.
Post a Comment