A couple of weeks ago, Jeff went with 94 other men on a motorcycle ride in Mexico. They are part of the Utah Trail Machine Association and drove 16 hours to Baja, Mexico, and were riding 1,000 miles in seven days (I don't know how many days they actually rode and how many were spent traveling, and it really doesn't matter. He left early Friday morning and got home late the next Friday night).
He didn't have any cell phone coverage for the week, but every couple of days I would get a text from a messaging service saying that everything was fine and the guys were great. When he got back, though, I heard a different story. On Tuesday, while he was riding, he didn't see where the road had washed out and ended up in an 8-foot ravine going 40 mph. He bailed off the bike at the last minute, pushing off so that he wouldn't crash right into the bike, and hit his leg on the handlebars before rolling off to the side.
He knew it was hurt, but didn't bleed hardly at all and he felt like it wasn't broken. Just a bone bruise, and he felt lucky that he could continue the ride (considering they were in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't really another choice). There was a lot of internal bleeding, though, because when he got home, his whole leg was purple. It looked like he had sprained his ankle really badly, but he said it really only hurt on the shin, where he had hit, and everything else was just the bruising spreading throughout his leg.
Four days after accident
He sat around on Saturday and Sunday, trying to get the swelling to go down, and once it finally did, it really started hurting him. He saw the doctor on Monday, and he could still barely walk on it. The doctor wanted him to have a CT scan to make sure that it wasn't broken, and that there was no damage to his knee. He also started him on antibiotics to avoid infection and had him wrap it during the day to help with the swelling. He had to work Monday-Thursday, so when he got home at night, he tried to keep it elevated and stay off of it as much as possible. The CT scan showed no break, just a large hematoma right on the shin bone, which was good. He wouldn't need surgery or anything major.
Let me just take a minute and say how hard this has been on me. I'm not complaining, just simply stating a fact. I thought I had done well to survive a whole week on my own, but I've ended up being (basically) a single mom for much longer. Because he has had to lay around and stay off his leg, I have had to do everything. Every diaper changed, meal made, dish washed, child put to bed, nose wiped, floor swept, bed made has been all me. And it's been HARD. And exhausting. The dinner-bedtime hours are chaotic, and I just try to do the best I can.
It's been hard on Jeff, too. He doesn't REALLY want to just sit there and watch me barely keep things together. I know that. But we also both know that he needs to get better, and that standing and walking are slowing down that process.
Okay, enough sob story. Back to the nitty gritty. By Thursday, 9 days after the accident, it wasn't that much better. Jeff felt like he needed to have it drained to help the healing process. The doctor (who is a family friend and works closely with Jeff's mom) said he needed to check with Nancy, and nothing got decided. Then on Saturday, when we were with Jeff's family, they sent a pic to the doc and he said it REALLY needed to be drained. So on Sunday, in Nancy's guest bedroom, he performed the "operation." He numbed a small part of Jeff's leg and drained a couple syringes of blood. Soon, though, it was too thick to come out via a needle, so he made a small incision, and using some large q-tips, and a lot of pressure (really hurting Jeff), he was able to drain a significant amount of old, clotted blood.
Twelve days after accident
Seventeen days after accident
10 comments:
No fun. When I started dating Scott he was on crutches due to a dirt bike crash. I'm waiting for the inevitable next crash to where I'm stuck taking care of him and the kids.
Glad he is healing and getting better!
SICK! And awful! I would have left Porter with our kids and come lived with you so I could play with your kids and help you. It's always so much fun helping other people clean and play with kids than to clean one's own house! I can just imagine how draining that is--to be doing everything the whole week of the trip and for 2 weeks more!! Lots of prayers for his quick healing.
WOW!!
I know how you feel being a "single" mom with Jeff in the house. I felt that same way when Stephen broke his collarbone last fall. Hopefully lots of rest and BB watching will make it all better.
Wow. Had no idea that Jeff was a motorcycle man. Please tell me the guys aren't starting down the mid-life crisis path. :) You'll all be in our prayers. Hang in there.
WOW Krystal! Greg showed me the pic of the drained leg... but I had no idea the process had been so long and arduous. You are a good woman. Wish we lived closer so that we could help more. Guess our prayers will have to do. And have fun cheering on all those teams for March Madness!
Oh My GOODNESS!! Yuck! Oh, I'm sorry about this. I hope he continues to get better and that he buries the motorcycle in the back yard. Hang in there! You are a great lady!
Oh Krystal, I am so so sorry. For both of you. May his recovery be full and speedy.
wow! that draining looks absolutely terrible. i think i would feel the same way as you. it's one thing to have your spouse out of town and you're doing everything. it's totally different when he's sitting on the couch and still unable to help! i hope he gets better super fast!!!
Oh man! That looks so painful. Glad he's almost better! It STINKS to be a single mom for that long--soo sorry. I don't know how single parents survive!
Hey Krystal, this is Joe. What is Jeff doing riding a motorcycle? Is he crazy or did his brothers put him up to it? I would think he has enough excitement in his life with 5 kids and a new orthodontic practice. I am glad he is doing well but tell Jeff he needs to give up his motorcycle riding and owes you a week long girl trip with no kids.
Post a Comment