...to this.
What a difference a year makes. In McKay's it makes all the difference in the world. We celebrated McKay's first birthday with Jeff's parents and sister's family on Sunday. Because I really didn't get McKay any presents (besides the new car seat he desperately needed), I decided to make his birthday fun for everyone else. We had yummy food and lots of balloons and lots of people calling him "king."
McKay had no trouble at all putting his entire cupcake away in about 30 seconds. And he would have gladly devoured a second if I had allowed it.
McKay's best new trick is walking. He took steps over a month ago at grandma's house, but has been hesitant since. Finally, a couple of days before his birthday, he decided it was time to walk. And so he did. And now he walks more than he crawls. I can't get enough of it. He was so funny with these balloons. He was dragging them around the house laughing. And getting tangled in the strings.
Here are some things I want to remember about McKay at one year old:
1. He still has only two tiny teeth. The top ones are close to cutting, and he is a drooling machine, but he's still mostly toothless for now.
2. He weighed 24 lbs (90th) and was 31.5 inches long (85th). He's only 6 lbs smaller than Carter, and their hands are almost the same size, too. He's my biggest one year old, which is fitting, since he was my biggest baby.
3. He figured out how to come down the stairs recently too. He can get on his hands and knees, turn around, and come down backward. It has opened up a new world for him as he has been going down to see what's in the basement (not much, as it turns out).
4. He has transitioned fairly seamlessly to whole milk instead of formula. He still prefers it a little warmer, but will take it straight. He's doing better with a sippy cup (with a soft nipple) and doesn't need a bottle anymore. Thank goodness, because I am down to two bottles and it was getting annoying washing them all the time.
5. He wants to eat everything we are eating, and lots of it. How else do you think he got to be 24 lbs?
6. He loves his "night-night" and sucking his thumb (which he rarely does outside of his crib), and is still good about taking two naps a day, going to bed between 7:00-8:00 and not getting up until 7:00-8:00 the next morning. Love thumb suckers.
7. He says "mama" when he sees me fairly consistently, and tries to mimic other sounds we make, but I don't think he has any other words yet. I haven't taught him any signs yet, but he has copied me doing "milk," so I think it's time to teach him a few.
8. Carter seems to think he is big enough to wrestle, and is always torturing him, sitting on him or pushing him down. McKay may be big, but he's not nearly big enough to take on Carter. Soon, though. Carter better be ready!
9. He has his moments, but overall, he is such a sweet boy. He is tender-hearted and loves his mama most of all. He loves to laugh with the other kids, although he has no idea what is so funny.
10. He has recently discovered that there is another world outside and wants to be a part of it. It's been a little too cold (most days), but when we have been able to go out and play, he is in heaven. I can't wait until we can play out there every day. He's going to love it!
I am so completely in love with McKay. He has been the perfect addition to our family. He has made my life so much harder, but SO much better. I am so excited to spend the next 17 years getting to know him, and hopefully staying his favorite person in the world! Happy birthday McKayters! You are our lucky charm!

3 comments:
So cute. I love all the pics. And I love how you said that he has made your life so much harder AND so much better. That's kind of a deep lesson if you think about it. Can't wait for y'all to come to AZ!!!
what a blondie he is turning into when he started off so dark!!! cant believe he is 1!
I can't believe he is 1. Seems like just yesterday he was just born. I'm feeling the same feelings with Simon who turns 1 next week!
Post a Comment