Honestly, Allie is "cold" a lot more than she is "hot." Don't get me wrong, I love her. Usually, though, I love her just as much as is required by law. Jeff commented the other day, "she makes our other kids seem like a breeze," and it's true. She constantly reminds us that she is going to do what she wants to do.
Wednesday we had scheduled "Mom and Allie Date Night" in an attempt to get back to our goal of spending one night a month with one of the kids. We hadn't planned anything specific, but she knew the night was going to be just for her and me and was looking forward to it. Wednesday morning she had made a big mess, by dumping out her drawer full of dishes/food and a bucket of wooden "gingerbread men," neither of which she played with for more than a few minutes. I told her that she needed to have them all put away before she could have lunch, to which I was greeted with the usual whines and complaints. "It's too hard," "I need help," and "I'm not doing it" were the excuses I heard most. I gently told her that she would not be able to eat until they were cleaned up, and I didn't think it was asking too much for her to clean up a small portion of the mess she had made.
Well, I knew she was stubborn, but I had no idea just how stubborn she could be. She informed me that she wasn't hungry and would clean up while I made dinner. This after she had claimed to be STARVING at 10:00 am when she asked if it was lunchtime. I told her that was fine, but that she wouldn't be getting anything to eat, not a bite, until dinner if the toys weren't cleaned up by 2:25(two and a half hours later), when we needed to go pick up Damon. Guess what? They weren't. So, she didn't eat.
Three hours later, I was making dinner, and I told her that if she didn't get the toys cleaned up, she wouldn't be eating dinner. "That's fine, I don't want dinner," she said. "Oh, and we won't be able to go on our date night, either." I had her. She was willing to give up food for the day, but she couldn't give up date night. Secretly, I was hoping she wouldn't clean them up, because I was in no mood to go anywhere with her. But, she had a sudden change of heart, and in 15 minutes, all the toys (which were now scattered throughout the house, not just in the spots she had dumped them out) were cleaned up. And she did it ALL BY HERSELF. She did try to coerce both Damon and KyKy into helping, but they weren't having any of it, and she had to do it alone.
So, I put on my happy face and asked her where she wanted to go for our date night. She chose to go to the mall and try on lip gloss. By the time we got there, she was her fun, happy self that I wish we saw a lot more often. We had a great time. She managed to come away from the arcade with a teddy bear from the machine with the claw that you position over the prizes and pretend not to be disappointed when it comes out empty. I was amazed. She got a new pair of shoes and six pair of socks for $3 at Famous Footwear (LOVE their $10 off $10 purchase rewards!). We tried on lipgloss, lotion and makeup at Bath and Bodyworks and Victoria's Secret. And then we ended the night by taking our photo in the photo booth. Mostly because I wanted to remember the uni-brow she had given herself with the eye shadow. Sorry, not a great quality scan, but you get the idea.

(I wish you could see the uni-brow better. Imagine the scene from A League of Their Own. "The eyebrows--thin and separate." Oh, and go ahead and recall the next part, with Marla Hooch--what a hitter. "What do you recommend?" "A lot of night games.")
When we walked in the door, I said, "Allie, thanks for a fun night."
She looked at me, and said, amazed, "It was a fun night!"
I hung our photos on the fridge, to remind myself that I do actually love her more than is required by law. A lot more. I just sometimes forget.
12 comments:
This sounds like such a fun date! Love that you went and did pictures too! I think they are darling and you will always be glad you did them!
Ah, this reminds me of my #2. He bit me today when I was prying open his mouth to get the gum out. I tried to reason with him...several times. Then he bit me & I ain't gonna lie, it hurt. But I have to try & remind myself that I love him, despite the pain he inflicts.
Sometimes I really think that Gracey is the most stubborn girl ever, but think Allie has her beat. I am pretty sure Gracey wouldn't pass up a meal. I hope I never have to learn.
But that really is a great date night. We should start doing that. It's never too early.
You are such a good writer. I really enjoyed reading this. That is a great idea to have an update blog for google reader. I think I will do the same thing.
Oh that sweet Ali! She will do some amazing things one day with that stubborn perseverance. I would imagine that if you called my mother up and shared a few Ali stories, she'd say that I could top it as a little girl.
One being that on the last day of Kindergarten my teacher told my Mother that she had only had 2 other kids in her 20 years of teaching that were as much of a handful as I was....and they were boys!! I think Ali and I have a lot in common.
Hope your holidays were swell. Miss you.
What a great evening.
And I think Allie could go into the makeup industry:)
cuteness.
Always a pleasure reading your blog-such a talent with writing and always such interesting things to write about. That Ali is a character. Glad things turned out okay in the end!
way to stick to your guns with the cleaning up thing. i hope i can be like that...and fun date night mom! She's soooooo cute, for real, beautiful!
way to stick to your guns with the cleaning up thing. i hope i can be like that...and fun date night mom! She's soooooo cute, for real, beautiful!
Wait a minute! Did you chop your hair again? If so, I want real pics of the newest doo.
Hello child #2. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to bed at night just hoping to have a scrap of kindness to give to Norah in the morning. She is a tough cookie and just as stubborn it sounds. Too bad Mommy is more stubborn. And too bad we don't have things like dates to hang over their heads more often!!
I think it is really great that you have these date nights with the kids. What a wonderful idea!! And THANKS for the update blog that I can follow with google reader. That will help. I really try to stay on top of all of the private ones... but this makes it MUCH easier. Happy New Year to the darling Trapnell fam!
Post a Comment