Monday, March 09, 2009

Canker

Kyla has just not been herself lately. For the past three days, she has eaten barely anything (most unusual for her), has cried nonstop, and hasn't slept well at all. I was trying to figure out what to make of it, and had decided that she must have a touch of the flu (she threw up in her bed a few days ago and woke up covered in dried puke. Sometimes I think I can still smell it). Friday, Jeff was on a pheasant hunting outing (with 10 dentists) and so we thought we'd have a fun night without him, complete with pizza, root beer and popcorn. And High School Musical 3 (that's what he gets for leaving me alone with the kids!). Kyla wouldn't touch her pizza and went to bed, waking up and crying a couple of times during the night. Saturday was more of the same, and I couldn't even get her to eat applesauce! Sunday, we dragged ourselves out of bed to get to 9:00 church and it was only then, when I was hanging out with her in the hall, that I found out the reason why. (The face we've been seeing for days.)


Something in her mouth caught my eye, and when I had her stick her tongue out, I saw that about a fourth of her tongue was white, looking like one MASSIVE canker sore. I don't know why I hadn't noticed before, because it was kind of hard to miss, but I suddenly felt so bad for her. And things started to make sense. It wasn't that she wasn't hungry, but she really COULDN'T eat without a lot of pain. At dinner, she tried a bite of everything, but all she could stand was bread. Grandma took pity on her and gave her a popsicle, and I tried hard to get her to stick it out so I could take a picture, but she doesn't really enjoy it much at all. Imagine a canker sore about the size of a nickel on both sides of her tongue on the left side (where her molars are). I know you can't see it hardly at all, but if you look closely, you can see a tiny bit of white on her left side.

Last night, she woke up about an hour after she had gone to sleep and cried for a little bit. Then she was quiet, so we went to bed. At 10:30 she cried again, and didn't stop this time. Jeff was taking pity on her, and told me to put her in bed with us. If you know Jeff, you know he would never normally suggest this, so he must have really been feeling sorry for her. I put her in bed with me and she slept off and on, waking up and crying every hour or so. Finally, at 3:00, I put her back in her bed and she slept for a bit before doing the whole crying thing again and I brought her back to our room. Needless to say, neither Jeff or I got very much sleep last night and my patience was stretched a little thin today. I am fully aware that Kyla uses her crying to manipulate us, and while I can't say for sure that is what she was doing last night, I am not putting it past her.

She did take a good nap today, and just woke up while I was writing this. I set her at the table with some pudding and just looked over to see her rubbing it on her body and hair like it was a shampoo/body wash combo. You can't see just how much of a mess she made in this picture. Now, she and Allie are in the bath. The fact that she is smiling here gives me hope. Even though she is playing with her food and not eating it.

7 comments:

BBC said...

awww... what a crummy owie to get! hopefully kyla starts feeling a little bit better!

Heather B said...

Holy CRAP, I had a huge canker on one side of my throat and it absolutely KILLED, I mean, ten times worse than a sore throat or strep throat. It's like a canker times a HUNDRED, it was one of the most painful things I've EVER experienced, I am totally feelin poor Kyla's pain. I hope it heals fast. You should drown her tongue in orajel!

Angie said...

Don't you wish our little kids could just tell us what was wrong so it didn't take us a few days to figure out what's bothering them? I so feel your pain with the lack of sleep. Lizzie had a horrible night last night and I am just praying I make it through the day. :) The joys of motherhood!

Heather said...

That is a sad, sad story. So sorry for her - cankers are the worst. Right up there with hives. Yuck.

Jessica Law said...

poor thing...what can you do for that? anything?

Karen E said...

Krystal,
I want Kyla to come back and I will stay up with her all night and rock her and sing to her. I loved every minute of my week while you were gone, but I really have to tell everyone, that not just once, but twice I found Kyla with "gel" all over her hair, one time it was pudding and one time it was CREAM CHEESE! that was tough to wash out, but I figured she was just putting gel on to "fix" her hair. Send her down to ST George anytime, along with Allie. Love you guys and missin' my grandkids. Love, grandma Karen

Morgan said...

I get cankers all the time and they ruin my day/week! Gracey gets them sometimes and it makes me the most sympathetic I can get as a mother.

I have asked my doctor what I can do for mine and he said to take tums, pepsid, or any of those meds that cut down the acid in your stomach and throat. I will usually give Gracey some tums. I don't now if it helps, but it makes sense. At the very least you are getting calcium! :)