I'm sure you are wondering what she chose to wear for her special day. It was this: a swimsuit and leggings, with a skirt thrown over the top to make me happy. She and Kyla are posing by a poster Maren made for the big day. I love how Kyla is trying to copy Allie.
In Allie's dream scenario, she was going to have a gymnastics party. And only those capable of doing complex gymnastics moves were going to be invited. Right away, she should have realized that she would have been excluding herself, but that thought never seemed to cross her mind. She was positive that her twin cousins, Matt and Miles (who are about 10) would be the perfect fit, and asked me several times whether or not they were coming (they ended up not being able to make it). In way of compromise, I talked her into an afternoon at Jumpin Jacks, where the guests could slide down blow up slides and jump around in bounce houses, thus pretending that they were actually doing gymnastics. She went for it.We ended up with four cousins (David, Maren, Sam and Connor) and one neighbor girl (a 10 year old) and Damon and Allie as the guests. Allie had to wear this dress, her present from David and Maren, while we were there. Of course, it ripped along the neckline, where the silk meets the see through netting, and will not be worn again until I figure out how to mend it. But I think Allie would do wear it again at Jumpin Jacks, given the chance.
She also requested a gymnastics cake, which was a good idea in theory. But it didn't turn out so well. It stuck to the pan coming out, so it broke in places, making it difficult to frost. The gymnastics girl (who is upside down in a pose on the balance beam, if you can't tell) was free-handed by me, which is why it's so magnificent. I also ran out of frosting with a section the size of a dollar left, and had to smear the frosting on half of the cake to cover the bare spot. All in all, it made for a cake only a child could love (and believe me, she loved it). I guess that's all that matters.
We invited the neighbor kids over to make it seem like she actually had friends, and I think we fooled her. She claimed she had a great birthday. I don't know if something this simple will ever fly again, but it was great for this year.
I have thought a lot about this child of mine, and am SO grateful that her third year was better than her second year. It gives me hope for this year. While I was sitting at Jumpin Jacks, bored out of my mind because the kids were all playing together so nicely (DEFINITELY not complaining), I made a list of the things that best describe Allie. Here they are:
1. Her gold shoes. They were used when she got them, but they instantly became her favorite shoes ever. They are now ratty, and no longer the least bit attractive, but she loves them. Kyla even tries to claim them, saying, "MY goldies!"
2. Crack. It doesn't really matter what pants she is wearing, she almost always is showing crack. Maybe swimsuits aren't so bad.
3. Swimsuits, fancy dresses and princess costumes. Without these three items, she would have been naked most of the year.
4. Pasta. Allie loves any kind of pasta and red sauce. I have thought about serving spaghetti once a week, just to please her.
5. Barbies and princesses. She has just gotten into Barbie movies this year, and has started in with the classics (right now the favorite is Jasmine). It's fun to see her so into it.
6. Music. Allie has always been into music. She knows the artists of most popular songs, and can even identify who sings new songs. She has been known to lock her door and blast Disney songs, primary songs, Jim Brickman, and High School Musical, just to name a few. I'm glad she's branching out.
7. Pillow. Allie loves her pillow more than just about anything. She "wiggles" the corners of the pillowcase, and has ripped all the seams apart. If she ever needs comfort, she will instantly go lie down with her pillow.
8. Lip gloss. It was one of her rules. It has to be included.
9. Small books. She has a thing for books of unusual sizes. She takes a miniature Book of Mormon to bed with her. In the visitor's center at Canyon de Chelly, she asked if she could have a miniature book about birds. I don't think it matters what it is about, she likes any small book she can get her hands on.
10. Not a big dessert fan. I am convinced that she would chose a vitamin C over a piece of chocolate. She always thinks she likes treats, but rarely finishes any. Maybe I should take a lesson from her!
I sure do love Allie, and although we are very different people, I am so glad I get to be her mom. Remind me I said that in 10 years, because I know we are destined to do battle.
13 comments:
allie seems to be just loaded with personality! i love her taste in clothes!! i hope she is always that creative! happy birthday allie!
Super cute blog, Krystal. Allie's lucky to have such an awesome mom who can free hand awesome cakes! I'm so impressed!! Looks like she had a great way to remember her 4th birthday!
Every time I read about Allie, it makes me laugh...so Independent!!! Hope she had a great birthday!!!
Oh Krystal. I laughed so many times reading this that I lost count. I'm sorry I forgot to call her. I will make it up by finding a miniature book to send her as a belated gift. LOVE her outfits. She will look back in the years to come and just die, but she'll know you loved her enough to let her wear her hearts desire.
Birthdays for little girls are so much fun! I found a friend of yours from Ohio State! I taught her in 5th grade. Candace Fish Rowley. Here's her blog address:
http://daverowleyfamily.blogspot.com
When is her bday? It must be close to Kason's. She sure seems like a fun, unique, girl. :) Great job on her cake.
Very cute post. She is adorable! I think the cake turned out great and she looks thrilled with it! I wish I didn't finish my desserts, but I have a big sweet tooth. I am excited to hear about the house you may be getting and where you will be living. How exciting!
cute gymnastics cake. i really need to hang out with allie for a day. send her down! she cracks me up. and i have a girl in preschool who always shows me crack, too, lol, allie would fit right in
cute gymnastics cake. i really need to hang out with allie for a day. send her down! she cracks me up. and i have a girl in preschool who always shows me crack, too, lol, allie would fit right in
Allie has quite the personality! So cute! Aren't kids fun!?!
Turning 4 is a great thing because, in my opinion, the terrible twos last until the day they turn 4. So hopefully things are looking up from here. I like the simple birthdays too and I'm sure she did have a great day with all those "friends" around.
So cute. I love the cake! Looks like she had a great time. We are gearing up for a Tinkerbell b-day party for Sammie, but I don't think I'll attempt that cake on my own. :)
Happy late Birthday Allie!! My boys made some birthday cards about a month early... of course we've now misplaced them and they'll probably get to you a month late if at all. Congrats on the house!!
Post a Comment