Monday, August 10, 2009

A good one

There are some moments in life you could never, ever possibly forget. Even if the rest of your memory had been wiped clean, some things just would always be with you. Like the day you got engaged. Or married. Or the day your mom told you she had cancer. Or the time you drove the car into the kitchen. Some things just have a tendency to stay with you.

I'll never forget the first time we saw Damon, via ultrasound. I was in for my 20 week appointment and witnessed, for the very first time, the miracle that was developing inside me. I got tears in my eyes when he yawned, so big he looked like a lion, right there on the screen. I couldn't believe it was real, and that in just a few short months I was going to become a mother for the very first time. the feelings were vast and numerous, but mostly I felt grateful to have been entrusted with such an honor.

Three pregnancies later, I have since had dozens of ultrasounds after that very first emotional one with Damon. Each time, I have been equally awed and amazed at the miracle of life when I see my babies on the screen. There's just nothing like it. And you'd think I would get used to seeing it and it would somehow lose its wonder. That has yet to happen.

Last Thursday I got to see another little one via ultrasound. After hiding my pregnancy from everyone for nearly 12 weeks, I was extremely anxious to have the opportunity to confirm that the extreme nausea, tiredness, mood swings and bulging waistline were not all in my head, but could be attributed to a healthy, albeit small, baby. It was with more than a little trepidation that I climbed on the table and pulled up my shirt. But as soon as Courtney (my ultrasound tech) put the wand on my belly, I could see our latest miracle. And its heart was racing.

At 12 weeks, there isn't a lot you tell from the ultrasound, other than the heart rate and the size of the baby (170 beats/minute, and 2 inches from head to rump), but for me, it was more than enough. I couldn't help but get emotional as I saw a tiny arm move above the baby's head, and let the tears slide down my cheeks unashamed. It never gets old seeing your baby for the first time. After Courtney finished the ultrasound, she printed off a few customary pictures for me to take to Jeff, and stuck them in my chart. She examined it for a moment, then asked, "was your last pregnancy an ectopic?" I answered in the affirmative, and she said, "Then you were probably really glad to see that everything is fine." Understatement of the year.

If everything goes as planned (alwasy an IF), my due date is Valentine's Day, which means I am now 13 weeks, and HOPEFULLY nearing the end of all the yuckiness that is first trimester. We told our families last week, and news has started spreading among friends in the ward and elsewhere. Ideally, I would try to keep it a secret as long as possible, but I didn't want to keep it a secret any longer. So many of you have been with me through all the ups and downs of pregnancy, and I wanted you to share in this happiness with us. I love you all!

43 comments:

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I commented on FB but I just wanted to say here - YEAH! Congrats and I hope all stays well and you have a beautiful, healthy baby come this Feb!

Anonymous said...

I am always soooo impressed when people can hide a pregnancy for ANY amount of time! Congratulations...I'm sooo excited for you guys!

Heather said...

Oh Krystal, this is such WONDERFUL news! Thank you for sharing with us. And may you get over the yucky stage real soon.

BBC said...

This is definitely "a good one" as you put it! We are so happy for you! Congratulations! Even though it's been years since I've seen you, I feel like I know you still because of your blog. Thanks for sharing your life with us. Best of luck for the remaining 27 weeks!

Reba said...

Congratulations, Krystal!

Joni said...

Congrats, Krystal.

After just having my third I have really been questioning if I ever think I could do it again.

I really don't think I have it in me.

If anybody understands the monumental task of carrying and delivering a baby, it's me.

I hope very much for the yuckiness to end soon. I feel for you.

Best of luck with the remainder of the pregnancy!

Emily Lauren said...

Congrats Krystal!! Wow, I'm so happy for you guys! What a lucky little baby this will be to come to your neat family.

And 4 kids is a big family! You guys will be official :)

Your description of the ultra sound was so sweet and made me cry :) So excited for you!

Morgan said...

I was hoping this was your exciting development!!! :) Congratulations!!

Laura said...

Krystal I about cried reading this post. I'm so happy for you.

Lisa said...

Beautifully written! Congrats Trapnells!

Jason and Kate said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you. What a sweet description of the ultrasound. It made me think back to my many ultrasounds trying to get pregnant and finally having one with a heartbeat. So cute! I hope you get feeling better soon and hope everything goes well.

Christina Mangelson said...

So extremely happy for you Krystal. Congratulations!!

Angie said...

Congrats! You are a great mom to your kids and they are blessed to have you!!! I am so happy for you!

The McMullin Family said...

Congragulations! I wish I could've kept mine a secret for that long, but my husband had to tell everybody....to much excitement I guess. Good luck for the upcoming months, hope all goes well!

Kelly L said...

Oh Krystal--I am SOOOO happy for you and Jeff and so glad that your prayers were finally answered for the arrival of another sweet little Trapnell. You will be in our prayers and who knows maybe I'll be joining you soon! Oh and sorry we never got our kids together for our playdate--this summer just flew by. Maybe when you're feeling better we can just plan a BBQ with our families--what do you think?

Love ya!

Cassie L. said...

Let me jump in on that BBQ - we can do it here! But I would love to see that new house of yours too.

More importantly, HOORAY!! Even though I currently have 8 children in my house and one screaming toddler on my lap, I still can't help but be moved to tears over the thought of a little baby coming.

I feel your pain...and your nausea. I guess it is good enough (or we are silly enough) to keep doing it again and again. Hooray for you!!!

jaesi said...

woot woot! May your grow #4 well.....

Congrats!

Megan said...

Good story! Makes me think back to my 4 ultra sounds! Congratulations . . . I hope your pregnancy is easy.

Ann Mitchell said...

Congrats and God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Your description made me tear up again as I remembered my own first views of my babies. That is a good one...and very happy news! Congratulations.

emilyy said...

Congrats.... So happy for you guys. You have such a cute family this little one will be no exception. On a side note, I was in UT last week and saw Jeff's picture on the cover of whatever magazine that was. So glad to here things are going so well for you :)

Holly Wilcox said...

YES!!! Congrats!

Malinovka said...

Congratulations, Krystal! That is just fabulous news!! I loved hearing about the ultrasound, and I just pray that the rest of your pregnancy goes really well and that you have a healthy baby come Valentine's Day!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad for you and Jeff! I love ultrasounds..it makes it all worth it. I hope you're feeling better.

Kellee and Courtney said...

I was so happy to get the invite for your blog. Congratulations on another sweet little baby! I loved reading more of your blog. It is very entertaining and well written. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.

ROB AND HOLLY said...

Congratulations! The first of the "buddy club" to venture into 4 kids! So exciting!!

Noelle and Corey said...

Congrats!!! I remember seeing Zach's tiny arms and legs flailing about on the ultrasound at 11 weeks- we were enthralled!! Hope you feel well soon.

The Hansen Family said...

Congrats! Ultrasounds never get old. Hope everything goes well for you and hopefully the sickness will pass!

Amyee Williams said...

Congrats Krystal im so happy for you and Jeff, glad to hear everythings going good.

Greg and Tammy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! We are so excited for you guys! Hope all continues to go well. Can't wait to hear more about this little one.

Hanny said...

We found out from Tom and Gaylynn after the baby blessing at Ben's but I didn't want to say anything in case it was still a secret. My heart is filled with joy for you! after having two miscarriages before Natalie and losing a child at the age of three I feel like I kind of understand some of what you have been through. We couldn't be happier for you!

Mariah said...

Yeah!! I'm so excited for you!! Our babies will just be a couple of months apart!! Congrats!

Heather B said...

Wow, look at all your readers! Tears in my eyes. that's all I have to say. So happy for you. I'm wondering if you'll have another girl and we'll have 6 in a row (a buddy club) just like us and or cousins. But a brother for Damon, I know everyone wants that! 7 more weeks til we know! Congrats sister, I'm thrilled for you.

Denise said...

Congrats, Krystal. I hope you are feeling better soon.

The Calico Crew said...

I can't say any more than what's been said but wanted to send my congrats your way! I think you're nuts but thrilled for you anyway!! Better get on the baby predictor site right away so you know what you're having :)

Lisha said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am happy for you and your family! :)

Jenner said...

awwwwwww, you made me cry. so happy for you.

Laurie said...

You have such a gift with words. I am so excited for you and Jeff. We love having four. Good luck with everything!

Becky Seymour said...

Yipee Yipee Hooray! I am sooooo excited for you! I am praying for that baby of yours.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

That was beautiful. It ALMOST made me want to be prego again. That is such a wonderful feeling to see your little one inside of you! Congrats to you and your family!

Michelle said...

Okay, so I'm a little behind on reading your blog. But CONGRATS on the new addition to your tummy. I hope you're feeling better soon. I hate morning sickness but I guess it's all worth it in the end.

Jamie W said...

Congrats. That is so exciting. Hope all continues to go well!

Lindsay said...

I am SO HAPPY for you guys! Isn't it amazing seeing your little baby through the ultrasound! I used to get so excited to see how much they've grown and what they were doing! Cant wait to find out if its a boy or a girl! Congratulations!